Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Dash Crease

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022 | 09:58 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Default Leather Dash Crease

Just got home having collected my car from the OPC to carry out some warranty works after a week and noticed there's some creasing on my leather dashboard on the passenger side above the airbags.

I'm not sure if it was there before, but wanted to check with other owners if this is normal and it's just characteristics of the leather... I was pretty sure it was smooth and if it's not normal, what could've caused this?

Thank you.
Old 09-29-2022 | 10:19 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I had similar creases in my leather, in approx the same area. For me, it came that way - at delivery. Not sure is this is normal, or not?

Over the last year I have used leather conditioner on the dash and the creases have all but gone away. Could be that the sun (heat) on the dash, over time, has stretched the leather enough to remove the creases?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-29-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2022 | 10:40 AM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I had similar creases in my leather, in approx the same area. For me, it came that way - at delivery. Not sure is this is normal, or not?

Over the last year I have used leather conditioner on the dash and the creases have all but gone away. Could be that the sun (heat) on the dash, over time, has stretched the leather enough to remove the creases?
Thanks for letting me know. I've had a nightmare with the OPC this was my 3rd visit and wanted to make sure they did not cause this somehow.

I originally went in to get the following fixed:
  1. Bass rattles in the door panel
  2. Squeaky seat
  3. Interior wind whistle
Collected it, and they made the rattle in the door panel worse, the triangle window trim was not fixed properly and fell off whilst driving. they did however fix the squeaky seat, but didn't know how to fix the interior wind whistle and a bonus gift, someone scratched my leather seat.

Left with them a second time to get it repaired again:
  1. Rattling in the door panel
  2. Loose interior window trim
  3. Repair scratched leather seat
  4. Attempt to find a solution for the interior wind whistle
On collection, they scuffed my door sill as well as door panel, driver side window motor started playing up making a grinding noise and they still couldn't fix the interior wind whistle and suggested if I'm ok with the removing the dash which is a no.

Left with them a third time to get the following repaired:
  1. Scuffed door sills
  2. Scuffed door card
  3. Window motor replacement
Went in to collect today and thankfully they got all the above fixed except the original interior wind whistle since there's no solution and as I was driving home, I noticed some phone holder suction cup marks on my windscreen which is strange is I don't use phone holders which is when I noticed crease on the dashboard (picture I posted).

Maybe it was there and I never paid much attention to it before, but having such OCD I am sure I would've picked it up, anyways will try conditioning and see if that works... was thinking of putting a fair dryer on it and see if it tightens up because the last thing I want is to try get this replaced under warranty and have them rip the dash out and for it to be causing more issues!
Old 09-29-2022 | 11:30 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by LARNIOCNK
Thanks for letting me know. I've had a nightmare with the OPC this was my 3rd visit and wanted to make sure they did not cause this somehow.

I originally went in to get the following fixed:
  1. Bass rattles in the door panel
  2. Squeaky seat
  3. Interior wind whistle
Collected it, and they made the rattle in the door panel worse, the triangle window trim was not fixed properly and fell off whilst driving. they did however fix the squeaky seat, but didn't know how to fix the interior wind whistle and a bonus gift, someone scratched my leather seat.

Left with them a second time to get it repaired again:
  1. Rattling in the door panel
  2. Loose interior window trim
  3. Repair scratched leather seat
  4. Attempt to find a solution for the interior wind whistle
On collection, they scuffed my door sill as well as door panel, driver side window motor started playing up making a grinding noise and they still couldn't fix the interior wind whistle and suggested if I'm ok with the removing the dash which is a no.

Left with them a third time to get the following repaired:
  1. Scuffed door sills
  2. Scuffed door card
  3. Window motor replacement
Went in to collect today and thankfully they got all the above fixed except the original interior wind whistle since there's no solution and as I was driving home, I noticed some phone holder suction cup marks on my windscreen which is strange is I don't use phone holders which is when I noticed crease on the dashboard (picture I posted).

Maybe it was there and I never paid much attention to it before, but having such OCD I am sure I would've picked it up, anyways will try conditioning and see if that works... was thinking of putting a fair dryer on it and see if it tightens up because the last thing I want is to try get this replaced under warranty and have them rip the dash out and for it to be causing more issues!

Rattles and squeaks have been a constant battle with my 21 C2S. As with many 992’s. Most have been eliminated, but one still persists. Not too bad, so I’ve learned to live with it.

My personal philosophy with all cars is - unless it’s a major problem (in which case it has to be fixed), I either try to fix myself, or let it go. Such is the case with the creases in the leather….I did not want my dealership touching my dash, and possibly making things even worse, so I just learned to live with it, kept treating it, and eventually, the leather seemed to “smooth” out. Now, barely visible.

PS - Give it time (ie the leather creases) to dissipate. Mine took many months to smooth out. I know for fact that wrinkles/creases in leather seats can be reduced by the careful application of heat on those areas, from a heat gun.

Best of luck.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 09-29-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2022 | 11:38 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Maybe they put something wet on it. If you leave a damp towel or a wet coat over the arm of a leather sofa it goes like that. I’ve made that mistake on a leather armchair unfortunately.
Old 09-29-2022 | 11:40 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marcha
Maybe they put something wet on it. If you leave a damp towel or a wet coat over the arm of a leather sofa it goes like that. I’ve made that mistake on a leather armchair unfortunately.
They put protective micro fibre towels over things when working on them don’t they. If it was damp and left there overnight it could have caused that but it’s hard to prove unless you have photos of it before it went in.
Old 09-29-2022 | 01:38 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

My business is leather upholstery. Leather is a natural animal skin and subject to variances. If you want perfection, buy vinyl.

Leather is glued onto the surface, then pulled as tight as possible and stapled to the substructure. I see what you are showing in your photo in the 95% of all leather upholstery that comes through my store (appx 1,000 pieces a year). Don't worry about it - and its not a defect. It's part of crafting leather and shows that it is truly leather and not vinyl. Embrace the variances, don't look to perfect them.

Conditioning leathers is always a good thing. Don't use a hair dryer on it, just park it in the sun - that is far more effective than an electric hair dryer at smoothing any loose hide areas, but I don't think that is what is going on here. It's pretty difficult to get leather to lay perfectly smooth on a curved surfaces..

Last edited by drcollie; 09-29-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2022 | 03:50 PM
3uros
Rennlist Member

Nothing out of the ordinary here...all my P Cars have had full leather interiors and had some sort of wrinkles or variation. To drcollie's point, it' a natural hide so variations are normal.
Old 09-30-2022 | 04:29 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LARNIOCNK
Just got home having collected my car from the OPC to carry out some warranty works after a week and noticed there's some creasing on my leather dashboard on the passenger side above the airbags.

I'm not sure if it was there before, but wanted to check with other owners if this is normal and it's just characteristics of the leather... I was pretty sure it was smooth and if it's not normal, what could've caused this?

Thank you.
That's leather for you, looks great and part of why we get leather is that natural look. I suspect your cow spent much time sitting down, hence the creases.
Old 10-01-2022 | 11:55 AM
SBAD
Pro

One of the reasons I dispensed with the leather dash option. You don’t even see it anyway while driving. Just another source of headaches as the car ages.
Old 10-01-2022 | 12:11 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

If you do have a leather dash, keep the heat coming through the windshield off it, that's what causes the leather to shrink and pull away (Ferraris are well-known for this). Once that starts to occur, its costly to repair.

On my Porsches, I have a sun shield for each one. If we go somewhere and the vehicle is going to be parked in the sun for more than a few hours, the sun shield goes up. As an added benefit, the car is much cooler when you come back to it.

Last edited by drcollie; 10-01-2022 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uter (10-05-2022)
Old 10-01-2022 | 12:42 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you do have a leather dash, keep the heat coming through the windshield off it, that's what causes the leather to shrink and pull away (Ferraris are well-known for this). Once that starts to occur, its costly to repair.

On my Porsches, I have a sun shield for each one. If we go somewhere and the vehicle is going to be parked in the sun for more than a few hours, the sun shield goes up. As an added benefit, the car is much cooler when you come back to it.

This.
Old 10-01-2022 | 07:28 PM
LARNIOCNK
Advanced

Thanks everyone for your replies, it really has put my mind at ease that this is just that characteristic of natural leather.

I’ve just had no luck with my OPC and I keep finding new issues every time I get it back…

On top of all the other things I mentioned, they also scratched my wheel! 😩

Quick Reply: Leather Dash Crease