Old 09-23-2022, 06:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Those are stress marks in the adhesive and won’t go away

it should be redone, or removed and your money returned

XPEL is a great product, adhesive a little grabby, but installer needs to know how to use it properly and stress marks like the ones you’ve pictured, should be minor to none
Old 09-23-2022, 03:35 PM
Tun16
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheClouds
I've seen XPEL done right on my cars and lots of friend/family cars as well -- that is definitely a bad install. As others said, a dust spec here and there is annoying but acceptable. However, from your pictures, it looks like they pulled it up to re-adjust a few too many times, and part of the adhesive had already dried. I believe this is what they call "chicken skin" marks in the industry when chatting with my installer.

Curious of the shop that did yours if you're in the Boston area.
it was not done at a shop in the Boston area.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:48 PM
Tun16
Instructor

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Those are stress marks in the adhesive and won’t go away

it should be redone, or removed and your money returned

XPEL is a great product, adhesive a little grabby, but installer needs to know how to use it properly and stress marks like the ones you’ve pictured, should be minor to none

Thanks Moe and everyone else for the explanations. I learned alot more about PPF installation over the past 48 hours. I dropped the car off this morning. I told the owner that he pretty much had to redo the whole car and I wanted him to inspect it personally, he agreed . I hate being without the car another week this time of year in the northeast. But hopefully it will be a better job this time. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:52 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Tun16
Thanks Moe and everyone else for the explanations. I learned alot more about PPF installation over the past 48 hours. I dropped the car off this morning. I told the owner that he pretty much had to redo the whole car and I wanted him to inspect it personally, he agreed . I hate being without the car another week this time of year in the northeast. But hopefully it will be a better job this time. Fingers crossed.
all of us have an off day, and it was nice of you to give another opportunity to remedy the installation for the shop owner

hopefully it’ll all be a learning experience and you’ll be driving down the road next weekend protected and smiling 😊
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (09-23-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:18 AM
dhjaffe
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Any recommendations for a PPF installer in or near Alexandria, VA? I was told that All American Paint Protection in Rockville, MD is good. Has anyone used them?
Old 09-25-2022, 12:13 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts

My 2 year old Audi S6 has zero paint damage after 10k miles and no PPF....frankly I see more people having issues with PPF than people having road rash issues. I feel like for people who don't track and live in mild climates like California, PPF is more of a pain than it's worth. But that's sacrilege around these parts.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:22 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
My 2 year old Audi S6 has zero paint damage after 10k miles and no PPF....frankly I see more people having issues with PPF than people having road rash issues. I feel like for people who don't track and live in mild climates like California, PPF is more of a pain than it's worth. But that's sacrilege around these parts.
I think it really depends on where you live and how you drive. My last car was home for a week and had two small chips on the front before I could get PPF installed.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:27 AM
Tun16
Instructor

Originally Posted by gthal
I think it really depends on where you live and how you drive. My last car was home for a week and had two small chips on the front before I could get PPF installed.
I agree. Back in the spring I traded in my 2018 Panamera with 38K for a new one. I live in the Northeast and used it as my daily driver. The front of the car looked like it was sandblasted, it drove me crazy.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Tun16
Instructor

-Update- Picked up car yesterday afternoon, the car is a 100% better. Like a few talked about above PPF is not perfect, but I just could not live with the first job. I do appreciate the owner pretty much redoing the whole car. I was worried that it might look the same. Im not sure if he did this job himself but i'm sure he supervised it. Anyway it nice to finally have the car home and now I can start to enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
Reata1 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
My 4 month old 911 has a nick on the rear hips from a stone, got it by 700 miles. Hopefully the sun heals it, but it did it’s job.

At the end of the day, PPF is supposed to be a wear and tear item.

Quick Reply: PPF install issues