Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Your 992, did you buy, lease or finance?
I bought it outright
58.13%
I leased it
3.11%
Financed with under $ 1K a month payment
10.03%
Financed with under $ 2K a month payment
22.49%
Household income is under $ 250K a year
11.76%
Household income is over $ 250K a year
43.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Your Money and Your 992

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 02:52 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon01
I am actually a finance professional, and this isn't about giving away expertise - it's about being more open about finances and removing the taboo nature from talking about it. Many people make very easily avoidable personal finance mistakes because talking about money or personal finances is seen as impolite or taboo with many people in the country, even when it isn't and shouldn't matter.

IMO - everyone's tax returns (obviously with some personal info redacted like SSN) should be public info. It would significantly cut down on fraud, tax evasion, help lenders ensure that their borrowers can afford their loans, etc.

Look at what a fiasco it's been to get Trump's tax returns - we all know he didn't pay any taxes. I don't think there are any surprises there so to speak.

Anyway, if people were more open about talking about finances, there would be less people making the same mistakes all their peers/friends/parents/etc. made. If you knew that the guy that just bought/financed that Lambo made less money than you - you wouldn't be trying to keep up with the Jones' anymore. It would certainly help put a lot of things in perspective.

Why should I have to sacrifice my privacy so that the idiot next door doesn't overspend? Why not also publish shopping lists and what we spend in restaurants to the fat slob next door doesn't feel the need to go on a diet. And how many times you get laid so the guy next doors stops masturbating as much.
The following users liked this post:
JJ1290 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 03:10 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by nv992gts
I’m not one to discuss finances openly. Just curious, what are some subtle, polite ways of deflecting the annoying questions of how much did you pay, car payment, etc? I gather most people have the social insight to understand about not asking one’s salary but I can see thinking this area as more acceptable. I just think it’s unnecessary these days (unless it’s your close people).
​​​​​​​I'm lucky in that respect. Nobody ever speaks or approaches me in public. Never understood why, but my ex-wife has repeatedly told me I always make people afraid and uneasy without even opening my mouth; by just walking into the room or business, blah blah blah. Been listening to that nonsense my whole life....whatever-I don't do anything, or bother anyone unless they have it coming. However, on the off chance somebody is ever dumb enough to ask me what I've paid for something, the answer is easy....eff off. Simple.
pfdnorthhills (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 05:24 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

I hope you realize that this post is identical to the one about ******* size....
Old 01-16-2023, 05:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
You think everyone who posts on here buys a 992 or any Porsche for that matter? Get real.
My experience suggests that people who post in the RL technical forums are overwhelmingly Porsche owners.
The following 5 users liked this post by Wilder:
detansinn (01-17-2023), minn19 (01-17-2023), Staffie Guy (01-17-2023), toph4242 (01-16-2023), zachr (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:34 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

I understand that younger generations (Gen Z, young millenials) are less concerned about this kind of privacy and share salaries with co-workers, etc. It’s possible that the taboos around this will disappear over the next couple of decades as baby boomers and Gen X die off. As a middle-aged Gen X-er, I am adding it to the pile of the societal changes that I am just not going to conform to. 😜

Last edited by detansinn; 01-17-2023 at 08:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
mmorgan216 (01-17-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 08:46 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I understand that younger generations (Gen Z, young millenials) are less concerned about this kind of privacy and share salaries with co-workers, etc. It’s possible that the taboos around this will disappear over the next couple of decades as baby boomers and Gen X die off. As a middle-aged Gen X-er, I am adding it to the pile of the societal changes that I am just not going to conform to. 😜
I still write checks to pay all my bills. My Wife thinks I am nuts.

I also can not be found on any social media platforms( Facebook, twitter ect)

Rennlist is the only platform I participate on.

I must be a dinosaur at 53

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 01-17-2023 at 08:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
detansinn (01-17-2023), mmorgan216 (01-17-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:28 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Money and discussions about it creates tension. I've been judged for making too much. I was judged when I lost it all. When you have it, you have to be careful who you attract into your life if you flaunt too much. When you don't have it, especially when you suddenly lose it, you find out who your friends are. Financial peaks and valleys are fascinating lessons in human behavior. Everything considered, I lean toward being subtle, neutral, and not discussing money. The most toxic situation at my company was a brief period when people started comparing their compensation.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
detansinn (01-17-2023), minn19 (01-17-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:03 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Makes me chuckle that some folks think this poll is "anonymous." Other rank-and-file Rennlisters can't see what boxes you ticked but the owners of the site sure can (if they want to).
detansinn (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:19 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mmorgan216
I have had to pay for expert advise my entire life, from college professors, to accountants, lawyers, doctors etc etc. Why should experts in finance give away their expertise?
I'm confused, are you trying to say that talking about how much money I make and how much I spend on my cars is professional expertise that I should be charging for? LOL. Come on, dude.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by avid
Money and discussions about it creates tension. I've been judged for making too much. I was judged when I lost it all. When you have it, you have to be careful who you attract into your life if you flaunt too much. When you don't have it, especially when you suddenly lose it, you find out who your friends are. Financial peaks and valleys are fascinating lessons in human behavior. Everything considered, I lean toward being subtle, neutral, and not discussing money. The most toxic situation at my company was a brief period when people started comparing their compensation.
Whenever I decided to hire someone in my small businesses at the end of the interview, among a few other things, I made it abundantly clear that discussing pay rates with other Staff is strictly Taboo and will cause the firing of whomever I hear doing it. I'm sure they spoke among themselves, but they d@mn sure never let me hear it. The last thing I ever wanted to hear was, "Why do you pay so and so this much, and I only get paid this much?" To heck with that nonsense. Toxic indeed.

Up until I finally broke down and decided to treat myself with 2 new cars I never gave anyone an excuse to think twice about me or my financial status. It's nobody's business. Moreover, it's been my experience that the people who have true wealth, you never know it. But keep in mind I'm older. The ones who really make me laugh are the "keeping up with the Jones'" types. Talk about dumb. Who gives a rip what other people have?
Old 01-17-2023, 12:00 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Whenever I decided to hire someone in my small businesses at the end of the interview, among a few other things, I made it abundantly clear that discussing pay rates with other Staff is strictly Taboo and will cause the firing of whomever I hear doing it. I'm sure they spoke among themselves, but they d@mn sure never let me hear it. The last thing I ever wanted to hear was, "Why do you pay so and so this much, and I only get paid this much?" To heck with that nonsense. Toxic indeed.
This is very illegal.

If you don't want your staff discussing pay disparities, maybe don't have inexplicable pay disparities.

Last edited by zachr; 01-17-2023 at 12:02 PM.
division (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 12:41 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by zachr
This is very illegal. If you don't want your staff discussing pay disparities, maybe don't have inexplicable pay disparities.
Pay disparities are in EVERY workplace. Or do you think everyone who works at Intel or the USPS gets paid the same wage? And even if you have 50 people doing exactly the same job, that's 50 different sets of personalities, problems, and ideas of self-worth. Try again.

P.s. it's not illegal. My ex-wife was a paralegal who wrote our Employee Handbook and then had her boss check it before we used it.

Last edited by Smirnoff67; 01-17-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:02 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Pay disparities are in EVERY workplace. Or do you think everyone who works at Intel or the USPS gets paid the same wage? And even if you have 50 people doing exactly the same job, that's 50 different sets of personalities, problems, and ideas of self-worth. Try again.

P.s. it's not illegal. My ex-wife was a paralegal who wrote our Employee Handbook and then had her boss check it before we used it.
It's absolutely illegal to forbid employees from discussing wages at the workplace. https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages

EDIT: Unless your business is carved out, which is statistically unlikely. https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...onal-standards

Last edited by SWxSec; 01-17-2023 at 01:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SWxSec:
AlexCeres (01-17-2023), division (01-17-2023), zachr (01-17-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 01:04 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Nice strawman.

Anyways, it is very explicitly illegal. https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:25 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by zachr
Nice strawman. Anyways, it is very explicitly illegal. https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/righ...-discuss-wages.
What does nice strawman even mean? I'm supposed to believe what some Mickey Mouse link that you posted says over one of my attorneys? Yeah okay. You probably also think that a new-hire doing the same job as a 10-year veteran employee should get the same pay. Man go whistle cause you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I was self-employed my whole life. I suggest you go try it, be successful for 30+ years and then get back to me. Till then, sit down, have a coke and smile and shut up.

Come to think of it, are you one of those know-it-all crybabies in the workplace who has nothing better to do than gossip and compare wages and then go start trouble because you think you should get paid more? Sure sounds like it. If that's the case and you want more pay, here's a thought-work harder. It's the American way. Boo hoo Johnny gets paid more than I do....it shouldn't matter that he works harder and does a better job than I do. Some article says he can't get paid more than me. Boo hoo hoo....man please.

Quick Reply: Your Money and Your 992