Sponsored by:

Quad tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 01:21 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quad tips?

What's the best way to get GOOD sounding QUAD pipes?

Is it possible to get PSE, then get a garage to change it to double/quad tips?

Or do we need to go non-PSE with quad tips, then get aftermarket exhaust?

Any advice on how/where in Europe to upgrade a Quad Pipe 992 to quad pipe aftermarket exhaust?

Last edited by Porsche992Fan; 09-20-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:31 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Last edited by Porsche992Fan; 09-20-2022 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:08 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Yes, you can order PSE and then change the valence and exhaust tips to get the quad tip look... but the PSE muffler is super quiet IMO. If you want quad pipes and a louder exhaust, there are many ways you can accomplish this:

1. Have the dealer program in the functionality of the PSE to your quad tip set up. This would give you close to what PSE does but still retain your stock quad tip look. You'd get a louder exhaust note than stock in sport and sport plus modes but I don't think you'd get the burbles (which are minimal anyway and barely noticeable on my PSE). You also get one of your diamond buttons programmed to toggle btw fully closed quiet exhaust vs. variable open valve exhaust which should be louder (still negigible).

2. Add sport cats to your non-PSE quad tipped exhaust. After reading all these various threads, I would personally lean towards Euro-Pipe. They have 100 cell cats which should flow very well, yet back up their products w/ emissions tests to show a negligible impact on emissions and they have a no CEL guarantee and I haven't seen anyone complain of getting a CEL with Europipe sport cats.

3. Add an aftermarket exhaust that is made to interface with the factory quad tips. The Quiicksilver exhaust in this thread can do that. In fact, it is installed on a non-PSE quad tipped car.

4. You can get an ECU tune like M-Engineering and have them set the exhaust flaps to fully open in sport and sport+ modes and also when you hit the exhaust button (if you happen to have the dealer program in PSE functionality in your car). I have PSE w/ M-Engineering tune and exhaust valves set to fully open. It is a VERY noticeable difference in sound and feel. It does not drone and the car sounds substantially more sporty. I also coded out cold start delete so the car doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood.

5. You can install various combinations like high flow cats only, or cat back exhaust only, or both high flow cats and cat back exhaust or any of those combos w/ M Engineering exhaust valve flaps full open tuning as well.

It all comes down to how loud do you want your car? Do you want to tune you car? What type of emissions testing do you have to deal with in your region, how much do you want to spend, etc.

Personally, I would not buy the factory PSE muffler b/c my PSE is disappointingly quiet and it would be a waste for how much it would cost.

If I stuck w/ non PSE quad tipped exhaust, I'd get the quicksilver exhaust if I didn't want to mess w/ emissions issues. If I didn't care about emissions stuff, I'd probably get the Europipe sport cats. In either case, I was going to tune my car anyway so I'd probably lean towards sport cats w/ M Engineering tune and exhaust valves fully open in sport and sport plus modes. I think that would sound great while retaining the much better quad tipped look.
The following 4 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
C2heritage (09-20-2022), cota.kitty (09-20-2022), Porsche992Fan (09-20-2022), Uncle_2002 (10-09-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 04:39 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Yes, you can order PSE and then change the valence and exhaust tips to get the quad tip look... but the PSE muffler is super quiet IMO. If you want quad pipes and a louder exhaust, there are many ways you can accomplish this:

1. Have the dealer program in the functionality of the PSE to your quad tip set up. This would give you close to what PSE does but still retain your stock quad tip look. You'd get a louder exhaust note than stock in sport and sport plus modes but I don't think you'd get the burbles (which are minimal anyway and barely noticeable on my PSE). You also get one of your diamond buttons programmed to toggle btw fully closed quiet exhaust vs. variable open valve exhaust which should be louder (still negigible).

2. Add sport cats to your non-PSE quad tipped exhaust. After reading all these various threads, I would personally lean towards Euro-Pipe. They have 100 cell cats which should flow very well, yet back up their products w/ emissions tests to show a negligible impact on emissions and they have a no CEL guarantee and I haven't seen anyone complain of getting a CEL with Europipe sport cats.

3. Add an aftermarket exhaust that is made to interface with the factory quad tips. The Quiicksilver exhaust in this thread can do that. In fact, it is installed on a non-PSE quad tipped car.

4. You can get an ECU tune like M-Engineering and have them set the exhaust flaps to fully open in sport and sport+ modes and also when you hit the exhaust button (if you happen to have the dealer program in PSE functionality in your car). I have PSE w/ M-Engineering tune and exhaust valves set to fully open. It is a VERY noticeable difference in sound and feel. It does not drone and the car sounds substantially more sporty. I also coded out cold start delete so the car doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood.

5. You can install various combinations like high flow cats only, or cat back exhaust only, or both high flow cats and cat back exhaust or any of those combos w/ M Engineering exhaust valve flaps full open tuning as well.

It all comes down to how loud do you want your car? Do you want to tune you car? What type of emissions testing do you have to deal with in your region, how much do you want to spend, etc.

Personally, I would not buy the factory PSE muffler b/c my PSE is disappointingly quiet and it would be a waste for how much it would cost.

If I stuck w/ non PSE quad tipped exhaust, I'd get the quicksilver exhaust if I didn't want to mess w/ emissions issues. If I didn't care about emissions stuff, I'd probably get the Europipe sport cats. In either case, I was going to tune my car anyway so I'd probably lean towards sport cats w/ M Engineering tune and exhaust valves fully open in sport and sport plus modes. I think that would sound great while retaining the much better quad tipped look.
Wow thank you.

I know almost nothing about cars.

Budget for this is like $6k max.

No idea about emissions. I'm buying it in italy. Forgive the rookie question but why would I care about this? Any reason besides the environment?

Points 1-4 all sound intriguing. Having a hard time deciding which is for me.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:41 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Could do 1, 2, 3, and 4 simultaneously at 1 garage?

Last edited by Porsche992Fan; 09-20-2022 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:44 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Would that Quicksilver be similar to this?
Old 09-20-2022, 08:12 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992Fan
Would that Quicksilver be similar to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le7ZlPHvRAs
personally, not my favorite. Sounds a bit like tin can and way too much mini burbles. Also not sure what the big deal is about the valves - all quality exhaust mfg have those. Benefit of larger pipes - generic. Not sure what the point is of riveted titanium muffler to ss pipes...It might sound better in real live but this video is not very convincing to me. Get a soul exhaust, akarapovic, or IPE....or if you want it loud and are okay with some drone, use a cat bypass/sport cat and valvless exhaust like fabspeed (latter would not be my choice).
Old 09-20-2022, 12:24 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Could do 1, 2, 3, and 4 simultaneously at 1 garage?
Any competent garage can do 2 and 3. For #1, I think only a Porsche dealer can do that or perhaps someone who is good with coding a 992 Porsche. I have only seen people mention doing #1 by going to the Porsche dealer. For #4, M Engineering tunes are done at home. It's very easy to do yourself and you'd want to do it yourself too so you can work with M Engineering to fine tune the ECU tune for your specific needs and upload the revisions to your car without going back to a shop.

Wow thank you.

I know almost nothing about cars.

Budget for this is like $6k max.

No idea about emissions. I'm buying it in italy. Forgive the rookie question but why would I care about this? Any reason besides the environment?

Points 1-4 all sound intriguing. Having a hard time deciding which is for me.
With respect to emissions testing, some countries and states have specific stringent requirements. In the two states I lived in, California has very strict emissions tests, but you don't have to get your car tested until year 6 or 7. So if you plan on selling the car within 6-7 yrs, no problem. Have you ever had to get your car emissions tested in Italy? I assume there's probably pretty stringent requirements because Italy is part of the EU, but I'm not really sure. Maybe check w/ Stef at Europipe as they would be more familiar with emissions issues in Europe. There's some good info in the Europipe thread.

$6K is a good budget that will accomplish what you're looking to do. It can get you a europipe sport cat and an M Engineering tune. That would give you stage 2 performance, plus a noticeably louder exhaust while keeping your quad exhaust tips.

Would that Quicksilver be similar to this?
Yup. That's it. I think it sounds fine and clearly it works well with the stock quad tips. For what it's worth Akrapovic has indicated their exhaust won't work with quad tips, but I'm sure it can be easily modified to fit since none of these aftermarket mufflers actually connects to the quad tips so it's a matter of checking for clearance and doing some cutting to make them fit.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 09-20-2022 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche992Fan (09-25-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:01 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 95 Posts

Since PSE doesn't offer any HP/performance gains, for me, it's a hard option to swallow for the overall cost of some pops, burbles and "the look". I'm interested in some mild performance gains, but not necessarily interested in a loud exhaust system. My thought is to stick with the quad set-up, have the dealer program the functionality of PSE, add Europipe sport cats and a possibly and M Engineering stage 1 tune. Does anyone know if there are any differences with the internals of the the stock U.S. market muffler (PSE vs. quad tip)?
Old 09-21-2022, 09:11 PM
DEALKLR911
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Sharkwerks race exhaust. Non PSE. I have it. I love it. I changed my rectangle tip and bought a used set of quad tips and had them powder coated black.
The following users liked this post:
ollies (10-07-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:49 AM
Porsche992Fan
AutoX

Any competent garage can do 2 and 3. For #1, I think only a Porsche dealer can do that or perhaps someone who is good with coding a 992 Porsche. I have only seen people mention doing #1 by going to the Porsche dealer. For #4, M Engineering tunes are done at home. It's very easy to do yourself and you'd want to do it yourself too so you can work with M Engineering to fine tune the ECU tune for your specific needs and upload the revisions to your car without going back to a shop.

With respect to emissions testing, some countries and states have specific stringent requirements. In the two states I lived in, California has very strict emissions tests, but you don't have to get your car tested until year 6 or 7. So if you plan on selling the car within 6-7 yrs, no problem. Have you ever had to get your car emissions tested in Italy? I assume there's probably pretty stringent requirements because Italy is part of the EU, but I'm not really sure. Maybe check w/ Stef at Europipe as they would be more familiar with emissions issues in Europe. There's some good info in the Europipe thread.

$6K is a good budget that will accomplish what you're looking to do. It can get you a europipe sport cat and an M Engineering tune. That would give you stage 2 performance, plus a noticeably louder exhaust while keeping your quad exhaust tips.

Yup. That's it. I think it sounds fine and clearly it works well with the stock quad tips. For what it's worth Akrapovic has indicated their exhaust won't work with quad tips, but I'm sure it can be easily modified to fit since none of these aftermarket mufflers actually connects to the quad tips so it's a matter of checking for clearance and doing some cutting to make them fit.
Thank you very much.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:12 PM
duncanb
1st Gear

My 992 C4S is pdk, sport-chrono, non-PSE. I get pops in sport mode. Probably not as dramatic as with PSE but sport-chrono definitely impacts exhaust sound even without PSE.

Quick Reply: Quad tips?