992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM and iOS 16

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022 | 12:14 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

To make the solution above easier, you could create two Home Screen icon "macros". One to quickly turn it on and the other to quickly turn if off. Just a thought although creating the macros would take a few moments and Googling.
Old 09-19-2022 | 01:51 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

OK, so here's some potentially relevant info. After testing that setting on the phone yesterday wireless CarPlay connected perfectly, but this morning nada. Nothing, no connection at all. It was in the device list, connected via Bluetooth no issue, and likewise wired CarPlay was fine. Just no wireless CarPlay and no end of switching things on or off, deleting and re-connecting phone profiles on either the PCM or the phone made a difference.

Then I noticed in the device list there was a 'iPhone' shown, new row and not the name of my iPhone. I figured maybe someone else's iPhone was close by but as a last resort I reset the network settings and as expected that also reset the phone name back to 'iPhone'. Changed it back to the unique name, deleted all profiles for the car on the phone and the phone on the car, added the phone to the car again and bingo. We have connection.

Lordy knows what actually helped here but I'd reset the network settings a couple of days ago for another reason which should have reset the phone name, it probably did but I didn't check and you'd think that would have stopped the phone connecting to the car vua Bluetooth as well but maybe there's some sort of cached setting with the IMEI number of the phone or something similar. Anyway, clearing all the profiles, then resetting the network on the phone, renaming the phone, and reconnecting to the car worked.
Old 09-19-2022 | 05:29 PM
Flash992
Instructor

2022 PCM6, (monochrome icons), iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16.0.1. No issues with CarPlay wired or wireless.
Old 09-20-2022 | 01:36 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

2021 C2S with iPhone 11 and IOS 16. I use CarPlay wired only in my Porsche (see below). No issues at all with IOS 16.
I've published this before on this forum. It's why I use CarPlay only Wired Mode on my Porsche.

==================== / / / / / ====================

My thoughts regarding CarPlay and how I puzzled it out, based on my needs.

1) First, I DO have my iPhone connect with the PCM via Bluetooth, but NOT for CarPlay! This is VERY important.

2) Second, I do not let the CarPlay application on my iPhone connect to the PCM via Bluetooth. I do this by following this path on my iPhone: Settings > General > CarPlay > PORSCHE > Turn the CarPlay button to the Off position.

3) Third, I do this so that CarPlay will work only with the iPhone hard wire connected via the #2 USB Port in the Console. (2022 911's with the USB C Ports may be different)

The preceding accomplishes several things.
A. It frees my iPhone to use the internet as I see fit, including as a hot spot for the car.
B. I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan at a speed far in excess of what the integral Porsche AT&T SIM Chip provides. (Again 2022's with the Verizon SIM Chip may be different) Using CarPlay wirelessly with Bluetooth shuts off my iPhone's access to the cell phone network and thus the internet as well.
C. I have a number of functions in my electronic life that my phone cannot manage if it is tied wirelessly via Bluetooth to this car, because that shuts off my iPhone's access to the cell phone network and thus the internet as well.
D. If I allow my iPhone to connect to the car via wireless CarPlay incoming phone calls are quite garbled and often hard to decipher. With the iPhone hardwired, everything, including CarPlay, works perfectly
E. It keeps my iPhone fully charged, which is actually the least important advantage to this setup.
The following users liked this post:
michaelp (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 06:14 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
2021 C2S with iPhone 11 and IOS 16. I use CarPlay wired only in my Porsche (see below). No issues at all with IOS 16.
I've published this before on this forum. It's why I use CarPlay only Wired Mode on my Porsche.

==================== / / / / / ====================

My thoughts regarding CarPlay and how I puzzled it out, based on my needs.

1) First, I DO have my iPhone connect with the PCM via Bluetooth, but NOT for CarPlay! This is VERY important.

2) Second, I do not let the CarPlay application on my iPhone connect to the PCM via Bluetooth. I do this by following this path on my iPhone: Settings > General > CarPlay > PORSCHE > Turn the CarPlay button to the Off position.

3) Third, I do this so that CarPlay will work only with the iPhone hard wire connected via the #2 USB Port in the Console. (2022 911's with the USB C Ports may be different)

The preceding accomplishes several things.
A. It frees my iPhone to use the internet as I see fit, including as a hot spot for the car.
B. I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan at a speed far in excess of what the integral Porsche AT&T SIM Chip provides. (Again 2022's with the Verizon SIM Chip may be different) Using CarPlay wirelessly with Bluetooth shuts off my iPhone's access to the cell phone network and thus the internet as well.
C. I have a number of functions in my electronic life that my phone cannot manage if it is tied wirelessly via Bluetooth to this car, because that shuts off my iPhone's access to the cell phone network and thus the internet as well.
D. If I allow my iPhone to connect to the car via wireless CarPlay incoming phone calls are quite garbled and often hard to decipher. With the iPhone hardwired, everything, including CarPlay, works perfectly
E. It keeps my iPhone fully charged, which is actually the least important advantage to this setup.
This is what I am looking for. So disabling CarPlay in settings changes it to wired? It won’t prompt to turn on CarPlay when the wire is plugged in?
Old 09-20-2022 | 01:19 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dixonk
This is what I am looking for. So disabling CarPlay in settings changes it to wired? It won’t prompt to turn on CarPlay when the wire is plugged in?
The phone sometimes will momentarily (a few seconds) show a screen that indicates that Car Play is available when it is first plugged in. Other than that, it's quiet and unseen, unless you specifically select the CarPlay icon from the PCM.
dixonk (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 01:54 PM
PD-P184
6th Gear

Default I thought it was only my problem..

The exact same problem as the original post has been driving me bananas for the past year. I moved from an 2019 etron (fully equipped) to my 2018 Panamera 4 (barely equipped) due to range anxiety and Porsche is definitely a step up overall in than Audi. But I traded the range anxiety for CarPlay connectivity madness. There’s 100% no pattern that I can tell that will be cause for disconnection. The only thing that may need further investigation is that when the proximity sensors detect road obstruction, the CarPlay will sometimes disconnect and not return. Mind you I’m wired CarPlay from the factory and the aftermarket wireless units have the exact same issue. I use my car for work and the other day I had 13 stops to do in Los Angeles city traffic. Man I was not a happy camper that day. Makes me crazy and the dealer has said that I need to ensure my iOS is current. I’m not sure why that would be an issue, since in 2018 we were on a maybe iOS 11& 12? The software is not updated as often if at all as the iOS. We’re on iOS 16 now, poor excuse IMO.
Old 09-20-2022 | 02:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PD-P184
The exact same problem as the original post has been driving me bananas for the past year. I moved from an 2019 etron (fully equipped) to my 2018 Panamera 4 (barely equipped) due to range anxiety and Porsche is definitely a step up overall in than Audi. But I traded the range anxiety for CarPlay connectivity madness. There’s 100% no pattern that I can tell that will be cause for disconnection. The only thing that may need further investigation is that when the proximity sensors detect road obstruction, the CarPlay will sometimes disconnect and not return. Mind you I’m wired CarPlay from the factory and the aftermarket wireless units have the exact same issue. I use my car for work and the other day I had 13 stops to do in Los Angeles city traffic. Man I was not a happy camper that day. Makes me crazy and the dealer has said that I need to ensure my iOS is current. I’m not sure why that would be an issue, since in 2018 we were on a maybe iOS 11& 12? The software is not updated as often if at all as the iOS. We’re on iOS 16 now, poor excuse IMO.
'upgrade to the latest version' has been a lazy IT cop-out excuse for decades. I've been in IT for 40+ years and just laugh at people when they say that.
Old 09-20-2022 | 02:33 PM
PD-P184
6th Gear

What’s the best reply to the IT persons when they use that ole boilerplate answer about updating? In fairness, I’m likely going to adopt your next reply to other aspects of my world. As I live with an IT PM that has constant boilerplate answers that are most always inclusive if the word, “NO!” 🤣LOL
aggie57 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 02:44 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Sounds to me that your issues may have more to do with the cell phone connection to the cell phone network provider and/or the hand off as the cell phone physically moves from one cell phone tower to another.
Old 09-20-2022 | 02:47 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
'upgrade to the latest version' has been a lazy IT cop-out excuse for decades. I've been in IT for 40+ years and just laugh at people when they say that.

Old 09-20-2022 | 02:50 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

What’s the best reply to the IT persons when they use that ole boilerplate answer about updating? In fairness, I’m likely going to adopt your next reply to other aspects of my world. As I live with an IT PM that has constant boilerplate answers that are most always inclusive if the word, “NO!” 🤣LOL
Ask to be transferred to a Level 2 support person. The first person you are usually connected to, is almost always using a valley forge style trouble tree. They're not so much technicians as they are typically phone support people reading from a menu of if/then questions on their screen.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 09-20-2022 at 02:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
aggie57 (09-20-2022), jtsrenn (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022 | 07:29 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Ask to be transferred to a Level 2 support person. The first person you are usually connected to, is almost always using a valley forge style trouble tree. They're not so much technicians as they are typically phone support people reading from a menu of if/then questions on their screen.

Far to often these days that 'if/then' fails and the 'else' is to hang up!
Old 09-22-2022 | 10:11 AM
German1967
Pro

Update: After some searching in Apple communities, I was able to resolve my CarPlay issues by DISABLING my VPN on the phone (in my case Express VPN). After that both wired and wireless CarPlay worked without issue - so far. It seems the VPN issues occurred first with iOS 15.7 and then "broke" CarPlay connectivity with iOS 16.0.
Hence, if any of you with a CarPlay connectivity issue run a VPN in the background, I suggest you try disabling that and see if it resolves your issue.
The following 3 users liked this post by German1967:
aggie57 (09-22-2022), dixonk (09-22-2022), TK42ONE (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023 | 01:03 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by German1967
Update: After some searching in Apple communities, I was able to resolve my CarPlay issues by DISABLING my VPN on the phone (in my case Express VPN). After that both wired and wireless CarPlay worked without issue - so far. It seems the VPN issues occurred first with iOS 15.7 and then "broke" CarPlay connectivity with iOS 16.0.
Hence, if any of you with a CarPlay connectivity issue run a VPN in the background, I suggest you try disabling that and see if it resolves your issue.
I'll try this today. I'm running Nord VPN which also doesn't work with ring FYI.

Quick Reply: PCM and iOS 16