Sponsored by:

PCM and iOS 16

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 06:05 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
The PCM has its own warts. Why does CarPlay become default when you link your phone even though it’s not the preferred or last used audio source? Why does the navigation apps use the car antenna instead of the phone antenna causing the guidance to freak out in certain circumstances thinking I’m 500ft away from location? Why does it randomly disconnect? I honestly wish I could disable wireless CarPlay and only use it wired when I need it for navigating or feel like using Apple Music.
Wireless CarPlay hardly ever worked for me.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:34 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Wireless CarPlay hardly ever worked for me.
It seems to work just fine for me when I don’t want it to. Let me try and put on navigation downtown Dallas or some other unfamiliar places and it will disconnect and have me trying to reset everything while not getting lost. But really the annoying aspect for me is wanting to just listen to FM or XM (while it’s still free) and everytime I start the car having to go through menu and change sources. For some reason Apple Music doesn’t automatically start playing so there is no music for me unless I push play on CarPlay or switch sources. If I could disable wireless and just use the wire (which I do anyway when navigating) it would solve a lot of my problems.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:24 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

I honestly wish I could disable wireless CarPlay and only use it wired when I need it for navigating or feel like using Apple Music.
I believe you can. On your iPhone, go to Settings / General / CarPlay / Porsche and untoggle the CarPlay switch. Now CarPlay will not be enabled at all. You can flip this switch whenever you do want to use CarPlay.

To disable wireless CarPlay only, try going to the PCM's devices screen and under the Link column toggle off (not green) the icon that looks like a play-triangle-inside-circle.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:27 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
I believe you can. On your iPhone, go to Settings / General / CarPlay / Porsche and untoggle the CarPlay switch. Now CarPlay will not be enabled at all. You can flip this switch whenever you do want to use CarPlay.

To disable wireless CarPlay only, try going to the PCM's devices screen and under the Link column toggle off (not green) the icon that looks like a play-triangle-inside-circle.

I have PCM 6 and even if I toggle that it defaults to on the next time. Porsche just needs to code the PCM to use the last used audio source on startup and then I could care less about CarPlay.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:43 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

I have PCM 6 and even if I toggle that it defaults to on the next time. Porsche just needs to code the PCM to use the last used audio source on startup and then I could care less about CarPlay.
How about just disabling WiFi on the phone? Doesn't wireless CarPlay rely on WiFi? As in, if bluetooth is enabled it'll still connect as a phone but not to CarPlay.

Just an idea.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:38 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
How about just disabling WiFi on the phone? Doesn't wireless CarPlay rely on WiFi? As in, if bluetooth is enabled it'll still connect as a phone but not to CarPlay.

Just an idea.
I have tried that but the initial connection is Bluetooth. Then it uses WiFi after it establishes a connection. If you switch WiFi off on the phone it seems to keep turning itself back on and reconnecting. You have to turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi to get CarPlay to shut off or disabling it in the phone settings menu. It’s really a bizarre system. Admittedly I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to tech stuff.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:01 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

I have tried that but the initial connection is Bluetooth. Then it uses WiFi after it establishes a connection. If you switch WiFi off on the phone it seems to keep turning itself back on and reconnecting. You have to turn off both Bluetooth and WiFi to get CarPlay to shut off or disabling it in the phone settings menu. It’s really a bizarre system. Admittedly I am a bit of a luddite when it comes to tech stuff.
weird.....sorry, thought it might work.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:27 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Are you sure you tried this? I have to image that even on iOS 16 this will stop CarPlay from activating.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:36 PM
InTheClouds
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

No issues here with MY22 PCM6 (monochrome icons) and iOS 16 (iPhone 12 Pro Max) running wireless CarPlay.

As others are eluding to... have you tried manually deleting the PCM "saved connections" from both the Bluetooth and WiFi menus of your iPhone?

Additionally, I believe you can also trigger automatic pairing (for wireless CarPlay) by plugging the iPhone into the USB-C in the arm rest as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2022, 12:13 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Are you sure you tried this? I have to image that even on iOS 16 this will stop CarPlay from activating.
Not with the new OS. I am away overseas right now.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:34 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Not with the new OS. I am away overseas right now.
i just went out and tried it, CarPlay stopped as soon as I turned that option off. As soon as I turned it back on CarPlay reconnected.
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:00 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

i just went out and tried it, CarPlay stopped as soon as I turned that option off. As soon as I turned it back on CarPlay reconnected.
So swipe down and uncheck the WiFi box and CarPlay stopped working on the PCM or you mean unchecking it in the PCM?
Old 09-19-2022, 02:26 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

So swipe down and uncheck the WiFi box and CarPlay stopped working on the PCM or you mean unchecking it in the PCM?
In settings/CarPlay on the profile for this car I switched ‘CarPlay’ off. Didn’t touch the PCM. Here’s the screen on the phone:

Old 09-19-2022, 03:20 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

In settings/CarPlay on the profile for this car I switched ‘CarPlay’ off. Didn’t touch the PCM. Here’s the screen on the phone:
Oh yeah that way has always worked. But not a very quick and efficient solution.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:28 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah that way has always worked. But not a very quick and efficient solution.
not perfect but it does work.

Quick Reply: PCM and iOS 16