Sponsored by:

Removing Trim to Install RGS Grills

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 01:56 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Removing Trim to Install RGS Grills

Is anywhere aware of any other videos other than at the RGS site for installing the RGS grills for the 992 sport design bumper? While their video is OK it's hilariously vague on showing the trim piece actually being removed - it cuts away before showing the piece being removed. I've watched it a dozen times trying to follow the verbal instructions but I can't get the piece to budge - I know i'm doing something obviously wrong as many people on this forum haven't had any installation issues but a few other have actually broken the tabs on the trim and I'd rather avoid that. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:25 AM
GeorgeM3768
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had also been looking for a detailed video. I bought a set of RGS grills a while ago for a C2S that went down on the Felicity Ace. While waiting for the replacement C2S my wife bought a 2022 Macan S and she ordered a set of grills from Zunsport. They were very easy to install and the wire mesh on the Zunsport grills is much thicker and seems like they will hold up better over time. Since I could not find a detailed RGS video and I did not want to risk having to buy replacement trim pieces I bought the Zunsport grills for my C2S with a sport front end. They come as 4 pieces and you don't need to remove the trim piece. The one thing I have concerns about the Zunsport grills is you have to drill a screw into a plastic tab to attach the upper piece and the screws that come with the grills are very soft metal and both stripped out on me, even after drilling a pilot hole. I replaced the screws that came with the Zunsport grills with #4 x 3/4" flat head Phillips wood screws and they worked fine.

I know I wasted money on the RGS grills but it was not worth the risk to me to tear up trim pieces and to be honest, the Zunsport grills look and feel like they will hold up better. You would think if the removal of the trim piece was easy they would have shown it in the RGS video.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeorgeM3768:
Fullyield (09-22-2022), KLOC (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 10:14 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeM3768
The one thing I have concerns about the Zunsport grills is you have to drill a screw into a plastic tab to attach the upper piece.
That was the dealbreaker for me. I bought the RGS ones and am very happy with them. Maybe a 6/10 for installation difficulty. Not complicated but challenging to get them in with big hands.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:22 PM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

How do you like them? Are the zip-ties used visible?
Old 09-21-2022, 03:27 PM
NWRoads
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too installed the RGS grill covers on my 992 sport grill. It should have come from the factory with covers to prevent radiator damage. I agree the video is a little vague. When spreading the back edge of the trim I slid washers in to hold it open. You will need to be gentle and work it a little at a time going over the piece several times until it will slide out. This would be easier if you had a lift or quick jacks to get the car up a little so you don't have to lay on your side while working, strictly for comfort. I did not raise the car and still got it done fine, although at 69 my shoulder was sore for a couple days. I really like the look and the protection, just use a little patience working on those trim pieces.
The following 2 users liked this post by NWRoads:
RGS (09-26-2022), Smirnoff67 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:28 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Originally Posted by NWRoads
I too installed the RGS grill covers on my 992 sport grill. It should have come from the factory with covers to prevent radiator damage. I agree the video is a little vague. When spreading the back edge of the trim I slid washers in to hold it open. You will need to be gentle and work it a little at a time going over the piece several times until it will slide out. This would be easier if you had a lift or quick jacks to get the car up a little so you don't have to lay on your side while working, strictly for comfort. I did not raise the car and still got it done fine, although at 69 my shoulder was sore for a couple days. I really like the look and the protection, just use a little patience working on those trim pieces.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I don't have any issues separating the top piece of the trim from the bottom, but I can't seem to remove it from the bumper - it just won't budge. I tried three days in a row. - the bumper piece the trim slides into actually flexes a bit to the point I'm afraid I'm going to break something if i pull harder.
To RGS' credit they PM'd me and said to give them a call for help. I did, they offered a couple of suggestions but still no go. They don't understand why it's a piece of cake for some people but not others. He mentioned people have had the dealer do it when they run into the same issue but I called three local dealers - none had done it before, one of them (where I've been getting my cars serviced since 2006) said they'd actually have to take off the bumper and it'd be around $750. I figured the dealer didn't understand what I was requesting so I sent him the RGS install video and he pointed out it looks like the bumper IS off around the 1:20 mark. (
) Another dealer said bring it by and they'd take a look. This is turning out to be WAY more complicated than I thought it was going to be when i ordered the grills.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:32 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

My dealer did it in 5 minutes. No idea how they did it but my Sales guy had them install prior to picking up car and let me know it took him 5 mins. Maybe your clip has an issue, is it both sides?
Old 09-23-2022, 01:25 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

just pull the damn thing.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:03 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
Thanks for the detailed reply. I don't have any issues separating the top piece of the trim from the bottom, but I can't seem to remove I sent him the RGS install video and he pointed out it looks like the bumper IS off around the 1:20 mark. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7dbXsSRn4)
Hello @jtsrenn the part at 1:20 is just a part of the bumper we have to demonstrate how to thread the spacer. All installs are with the bumper fully installed. You may have to take it to a dealer and point at the part that needs to be removed. Then they might understand better. We are here to support and would be happy to chat with the dealer if you would like.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 09-23-2022, 02:11 PM
NWRoads
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are also tabs on the "inside end" of the trim pieces, so once you spread the trim top and bottom you will need to slide it towards the fender while pulling forward.
Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:17 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

There are also tabs on the "inside end" of the trim pieces, so once you spread the trim top and bottom you will need to slide it towards the fender while pulling forward.
Thanks! Not sure I've tried that. I'll give it a shot tonight. Maybe 4th time is the charm..
Old 09-23-2022, 03:10 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 213 Posts

does this not tell you everything you need to know about the trim piece?
Old 09-23-2022, 03:25 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Originally Posted by mattchow

does this not tell you everything you need to know about the trim piece?
If you're implying I'm an idiot you're probably correct.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:36 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Still no joy, i can get it out about 1/4 of an inch out of the slot but it won't give any more. Did you pull the top and bottom piece out (as shown in the video) or just the top piece?
Old 09-24-2022, 01:11 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
Still no joy, i can get it out about 1/4 of an inch out of the slot but it won't give any more. Did you pull the top and bottom piece out (as shown in the video) or just the top piece?
Did you try the needle to try and depress the clip and then pull?

Found this photo on the initial thread, maybe this will highlight some of the options. Possible attempt to access the small middle slot to depress the clip detent. Also remember to pull perpendicular to the angle of the bumper cover. Of course this photo does not have the final alignment of the grille edge.

Last edited by RGS; 09-24-2022 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing Trim to Install RGS Grills