Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM asked me if I could take European Delivery..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022 | 10:22 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Default GM asked me if I could take European Delivery..

i am currently waiting allocation for 4gts...
and this would be a game changer for me..
my current wait time until allocation is 14-18months..
GM said quote, " If we do European delivery you would most likely have a car by late spring or early summer 2023. "
It's so tempting but realistically I cannot vacate my work as it's a one/two man operating business...
I cannot take vacation next year summer too because I already made plans for my vacation which is in a different part of the world...
But if I just go to Germany, pick up my car, drop it off at a port and return home all in 1-2 days it is feasible but to go all the way to Germany and miss out all the fun and experience I can get is just too wasteful...
What would you do...
and Thank you woobie for sharing your ED experience.
Old 09-14-2022 | 10:25 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Realistically, do you even need to be present for ED? They’re going to handle the logistics of getting it on a boat, so can’t the car just sit there until it’s time to get on a boat?

Even a 2 day trip would be fun, but I don’t think it’s even possible with flight delays and cancellations that I don’t see being resolved by next summer.
Old 09-14-2022 | 10:28 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Realistically, do you even need to be present for ED? They’re going to handle the logistics of getting it on a boat, so can’t the car just sit there until it’s time to get on a boat?

Even a 2 day trip would be fun, but I don’t think it’s even possible with flight delays and cancellations that I don’t see being resolved by next summer.
that's a good point...I might ask this my gm..
Old 09-14-2022 | 10:44 PM
woobiee
Pro

To my knowledge, you need to be in person to sign for the car.
The following users liked this post:
rouxeny (09-15-2022)
Old 09-14-2022 | 10:57 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, not sure if granting someone Power of Attorney which will have to be translated into German by a recognized translator (read Apostil) would work.

Two days is not feasible as mentioned above due to travel delays etc. Tough call, but I would explore options IN Germany with Porsche there, not via your GM stateside. I'm sure you're not the only person who person who's faced this. GL

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 09-15-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-14-2022 | 11:02 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

From the east coast, a 3 day long weekend could work. Less than a week is pretty rough, but a travel day there, a business day there, and a travel day back is doable without being insane. Not sure how much fun you’d have …
Old 09-14-2022 | 11:05 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

You guys appear to be overly worry about flight cancellations! a) 99%+ of flights today are not canceled, and b) he us talking about summer of 23! Nobody can predict if it gets better or worse... and by the way I am leaving for Germany tomorrow morning and I am not too worry if I make it

To the OP: I don't see an issue planning a short trip to Germany next summer! Many business guys do that all the time. Would be nice to have more time but if this is what it takes. go for it!
Old 09-14-2022 | 11:16 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

lots of valuable input here thanks so much...
Old 09-14-2022 | 11:44 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’ve been to Europe twice since covid - once to Italy and once to UK. No issues at all. Flights are expensive for sure, but not at all difficult.
zachr (09-17-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would take it.

You can always push back your ED dates (within reason, of course) to make it fit your travel schedule.
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:23 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

This is the same guy who read about the one person I've heard of on here with PDK transmission issues that might qualify as a lemon, saying that because they got one it was giving him pause to reconsider buying a GTS. All his posts are about moving up a spot on the allocation list, wait time, etc., and then said that one major transmission issue in thousands of PDKs and he was nervous, but is now debating ED in order to speed up his timetable. Hmm. Double hmm.
Old 09-15-2022 | 01:24 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Listen, I’m not saying what’s going to happen next, but he’s gotta check with his wife.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Guzzgreg (09-15-2022), Mmade992 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022 | 02:09 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I'd imagine that for a "small" fee plus nominal flight, lodging, meals and libation expenses, you might be able to find someone that would be willing to sacrifice themselves for a few weeks. You know, pick up your car, drive it for a week or so around Europe, just to be sure your car is OK of course. They could then drop it off at the port and that'd save you the aggravation of having to go through something like this.
Old 09-15-2022 | 02:16 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Take this for what its worth...1 Porsche European Delivery and 8 BMW European Deliveries...I know that BMW will only release the car to someone who is on the title. (not your title in the US that you don't have yet, my name was on the MSO) Also, only named parties are insured. You are not sending someone else to pick it up unless they happen to have the same name as you.
Old 09-15-2022 | 03:08 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MontBlanc911
i am currently waiting allocation for 4gts...
and this would be a game changer for me..
my current wait time until allocation is 14-18months..
GM said quote, " If we do European delivery you would most likely have a car by late spring or early summer 2023. "
It's so tempting but realistically I cannot vacate my work as it's a one/two man operating business...
I cannot take vacation next year summer too because I already made plans for my vacation which is in a different part of the world...
But if I just go to Germany, pick up my car, drop it off at a port and return home all in 1-2 days it is feasible but to go all the way to Germany and miss out all the fun and experience I can get is just too wasteful...
What would you do...
and Thank you woobie for sharing your ED experience.
I happen to agree with you but its not impossible. . I once had a discussion with a person (professor)who was sent to China to give a lecture and return home immediately for another scheduled event . He literally did two days in travel each way back to back and have the lecture . His entire deal was four days and you can shave that down. I was shocked hearing the story . I asked him what he felt like after the ordeal . He chuckled . You would have your car though .
AlexCeres (09-15-2022)

Quick Reply: GM asked me if I could take European Delivery..