Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM asked me if I could take European Delivery..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022 | 04:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mentioned in the article. In 2013 I faced this while flying or trying to fly from Malaga to Geneva when the French ATCs closed their airspace. Pandemonium for a week, I managed to get our in 36 hours which cut my stay in Geneva by a day as I had to catch a Condor flight in Frankfurt to fly back to Fairbanks.

This is a different world, planning for something when you don't even know what's happening next week based on what you did before is just... well whatever.

siberian
Old 09-16-2022 | 05:21 PM
jjaisli
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
There is something going on with European Delivery, but I can't quite put it all together. I was considering buying a newer 992 and my dealer said the same thing, MUCH quicker if I take Euro Delivery and even a better price point. That leads me to suspect that Porsche AG is promoting it to their dealers with incentives, but I have no proof - just it would be quicker and cost less overall.
I was (allegedly) one of 4 customers at my dealer who had ordered cars and was set up for European Delivery late summer/early fall, we all received official confirmation that our cars were produced in late July, only to have the dealer or Porsche of America confirm that it was an unfortunately TYD error, the cars were NOT actually built and I never received a VIN. My car is now (a MY 2023) and scheduled for production in late November. The dealer told me they are actually recommending that their customers do NOT opt for ED until Porsche gets a handle on things.
Old 09-16-2022 | 05:49 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I happen to agree with you but its not impossible. . I once had a discussion with a person (professor)who was sent to China to give a lecture and return home immediately for another scheduled event . He literally did two days in travel each way back to back and have the lecture . His entire deal was four days and you can shave that down. I was shocked hearing the story . I asked him what he felt like after the ordeal . He chuckled . You would have your car though .
wow this is valuable info. I am glad I did not take any actions yet. I am still deciding but inclining more towards just waiting it out just like the most of us..
Old 09-16-2022 | 06:08 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Don’t forget French flight controllers going on strike today.
Unless one is connecting in France, zero sum effect.

Although I wonder what they're striking for? More wine at lunch?
Old 09-16-2022 | 09:27 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No. Unless you fly OVER French airspace.

siberian
Old 09-16-2022 | 10:39 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

I travel to Europe 3 times a month sometimes for business. Germany, holland, France, Spain etc. you can easily do this and be home within 2 days. Especially when you return back you gain time.

I say do it. Once you have that thing in your driveway you’ll say it was worth it. I would do in a heartbeat.

Don’t worry about delays etc… that is well over with traveling internationally to Europe.

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022 | 10:42 PM
LaytonNYC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Realistically, do you even need to be present for ED? They’re going to handle the logistics of getting it on a boat, so can’t the car just sit there until it’s time to get on a boat?

Even a 2 day trip would be fun, but I don’t think it’s even possible with flight delays and cancellations that I don’t see being resolved by next summer.
delays and cancellations are well over with. Especially in Germany with lufthansa airlines. I travel with them frequently for business from New York.
Old 09-17-2022 | 12:22 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

It’s quite easy to talk yourself out of things these days. The trick is not to.
Old 09-17-2022 | 12:50 AM
jack_carls0n
Racer

I did European Delivery. As a pilot would recommend you having a backup. Summer travel is crazy and things can change pretty fast. I would say opt for it if you need the car. But it is a pita if you can't really drive it there. But if you can and do decide to do it, do it in Leipzig.

Drive around town and drop it back there for no charge to be shipped back. Fly in to Frankfurt (easier if you live in a big US City that has multiple direct flights to Frankfurt) and take a 3 hr- train to Leipzig. It is doable. Just don't do it close to a holiday (weather and people go crazy during that time). Summer and Spring Travel is always crazy so be on the lookout.

Spring and summer is too far out. You can always book it and get the car allocation (and as a trick cancel it 3 weeks prior for no charge). Worst case they ship it to you instead of doing the ED. Just take the allocation and worry about the ED later!

Enjoy your new car.

Last edited by jack_carls0n; 09-17-2022 at 12:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (09-17-2022)

Quick Reply: GM asked me if I could take European Delivery..