Sponsored by:

Opinions please on 992 Base build, locks in a month

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 05:41 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,454 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Opinions please on 992 Base build, locks in a month

Built as a semi-daily driver in California, will never be tracked. I feel like it's a somewhat expensive build for a base, maybe too much.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPW42Y97

Background:
age 53
going to be used as a semi-daily driver in California.
Previous Porche ownership :981 Cayman, 718 GT4
Current cars: M2 Competition Manual (hence don't want a manual on the 911), Raptor, S6, Range Rover
Old 09-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Built as a semi-daily driver in California, will never be tracked. I feel like it's a somewhat expensive build for a base, maybe too much.

Background:
age 53
Current cars: M2 Competition Manual (hence don't want a manual on the 911), Raptor, S6, Range Rover
I think it is a nice build. I would order the car I wanted whether a "Base" or S. I just don't see the delta that great if not wanting a manual or tracking the car. I am not sold that the long term resale values will make up for the up front cost in the 992. Hell, they have the same engines just different turbos. Yea, the S has bigger brakes and LSD but does that matter on the street? Also, what is the time frame to get a S or GTS? Here is my build that also locks in about a month. Would be almost the same boxes checked if I had a S allocation instead of a "Base". http://www.porsche-code.com/PP1YQ2Z6
The following users liked this post:
remington (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 06:27 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 123 Posts

Very nice build. I had a base with the sport exhaust and it’s a must for me. Might want to add that and I know you live in CA but I’d get the heated GT steering wheel as well. Beautiful addition to your stable!
remington (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 09:00 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Background:
age 53
Very nice !!! I would ask about availability on the Bose though . Porsche rejected it on my Macan order . We tried to add it and they rejected it again . There are guys whose cars are sitting on lots built waiting for the amp . (weeks and months ) . It killed me to do it but I opted for Burmester . Its wasted on a guy like me but the factory system is weak . On. my 911 GTS back in April I did get a Bose but the problems were just beginning .
remington (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 09:17 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Very nice !!! I would ask about availability on the Bose though . Porsche rejected it on my Macan order . We tried to add it and they rejected it again . There are guys whose cars are sitting on lots built waiting for the amp . (weeks and months ) . It killed me to do it but I opted for Burmester . Its wasted on a guy like me but the factory system is weak . On. my 911 GTS back in April I did get a Bose but the problems were just beginning .
Good to know. I can't live with the factory system. IMO if Bose is unavailable they should lower the cost of the Burmester until it is. But of course Porsche, so will never happen, they'll probably raise it.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:35 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Nice build and most/lot of it is just personal taste so take it with a grain of salt:

Additions I would make:
- add 930 leather package - finishes up the door trim nice at reasonable cost, looks classy
- add performance exhaust - just a little nicer than the standard, and I also prefer the oval tips vs the standard square
- consider adding the white dials of the center tach and chrono - looks nice and goes with chalk stitching, makes dash pop
Removals I would make:
- save money and remove the race tex roof liner and visors. The standard roof liner looks great (color and texture) and goes well with the black leather interior you choose, if you want race tex it should be part of the rest of interior (seats, doors)
- remove ACC - keep only if you really use as daily on highway, otherwise waste of money
- remove silver seat belts - they will just require higher maintenance to stay clean....

OEM items you can easily add after purchase and I would recommend to do at some point:
- door puddle lights (Porsche signage)
- clear side markers
- GT3 side skirts
- AWE foils to help with wind buffeting
- trickle charger
- sport front lip (small lip under bumper protruding a little more than base lip)

Good luck, you will enjoy it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
remington (09-08-2022), westcoastj (09-10-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:18 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Nice build and most/lot of it is just personal taste so take it with a grain of salt:

Additions I would make:
- add 930 leather package - finishes up the door trim nice at reasonable cost, looks classy
- add performance exhaust - just a little nicer than the standard, and I also prefer the oval tips vs the standard square
- consider adding the white dials of the center tach and chrono - looks nice and goes with chalk stitching, makes dash pop
Removals I would make:
- save money and remove the race tex roof liner and visors. The standard roof liner looks great (color and texture) and goes well with the black leather interior you choose, if you want race tex it should be part of the rest of interior (seats, doors)
- remove ACC - keep only if you really use as daily on highway, otherwise waste of money
- remove silver seat belts - they will just require higher maintenance to stay clean....

OEM items you can easily add after purchase and I would recommend to do at some point:
- door puddle lights (Porsche signage)
- clear side markers
- GT3 side skirts
- AWE foils to help with wind buffeting
- trickle charger
- sport front lip (small lip under bumper protruding a little more than base lip)

Good luck, you will enjoy it!
Good suggestions. Thanks. I took some of your advice. the 930 pkg is not available however with sport-tex.

Last edited by remington; 09-08-2022 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:12 AM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Very nice build. I had a base with the sport exhaust and it’s a must for me. Might want to add that and I know you live in CA but I’d get the heated GT steering wheel as well. Beautiful addition to your stable!
Added both. Thanks.
Mmade992 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:24 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Good suggestions. Thanks. I took some of your advice. the 930 pkg is not available however with sport-tex.
Yeah, I intended to suggest to add the 930 in same black leather and chalk stitching as rest of your interior.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:54 AM
FrostyAZ
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it’s a good build. I understand why you might have felt like you overbuilt it but I don’t think you did. The Base is now such a good car that you don’t need to keep it low on options out of fear of overbuilding. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Gigio
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 27 Posts

Background:
age 53
Very nice build, I have a base on order as well!

I think adding the sport front fascia would just make it perfect.
remington (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 11:13 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 104 Posts

Can't you just get the Premium Package vs. selecting individually? It should save a little money. Also, $60 roof transport prep maybe a good idea just in case.
The following 2 users liked this post by kim9701:
balucipher (09-14-2022), remington (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:07 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kim9701
Can't you just get the Premium Package vs. selecting individually? It should save a little money. Also, $60 roof transport prep maybe a good idea just in case.
Premium pkg not available with Sport-tex, I assume because it's not compatible with ventilated seats.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:14 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 235 Posts

It looks good to me although I like the silver tailpipes over the black.

BTW, this base car is a lot more today than my 2020 base car. It makes my new Turbo seem like a reasonable price. I did the axle lift option.
The following 2 users liked this post by VintageRacer:
Gigio (09-08-2022), remington (09-08-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 12:13 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
It looks good to me although I like the silver tailpipes over the black.

BTW, this base car is a lot more today than my 2020 base car. It makes my new Turbo seem like a reasonable price. I did the axle lift option.
I was considering axle lift, but not sure if it's necessary in a Base with the stock suspension, do you use yours much? I've been driving a GT4 and surviving and that thing is low as hell. It does scrape on everything though. I was hoping the base would be higher, it's one of the reasons I chose it over the S.

Quick Reply: Opinions please on 992 Base build, locks in a month