Sponsored by:

7mt questions for new build.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 02:46 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Arnheim
How can you change gears without the clutch? Never heard of that feature. I would think you will destroy the transmission ...
Pretty easy, you just rev-match manually. Going up is easier than down but both are perfectly fine if you understand the basics of what how a clutch and transmission work.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:00 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iroquoisfrm
Yes I was referring to rev matching in order to match transmission speed with engine speed on down shifts the old fashioned way.
My over rev question has to do with missing a gear on an up shift specifically on track and thus creating an over rev situation. It happens, people mention it on the gt 3 forum. I think the gt3 has a 6mt which wouldn’t have a rev limiter apparently.
You mean on down shift rather than up-shift? There's nothing in the 7MT setup that will prevent that.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:09 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Arnheim
How can you change gears without the clutch? Never heard of that feature. I would think you will destroy the transmission ...
I wouldn't call it a feature. Some refer to it as "slip shifting." You first shift to neutral, and then wait for (upshift) or induce (downshift) RPM while maintaining "gentle" / "expectant" pressure against the shifter (you're not trying to ram into into gear)... when the RPM matches the target (RPM at speed for target gear), the shifter will slide into gear.

Having said that, I, too, don't understand why anyone does this, except as a novelty.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:14 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by null
I wouldn't call it a feature. Some refer to it as "slip shifting." You first shift to neutral, and then wait for (upshift) or induce (downshift) RPM while maintaining "gentle" / "expectant" pressure against the shifter (you're not trying to ram into into gear)... when the RPM matches the target (RPM at speed for target gear), the shifter will slide into gear.

Having said that, I, too, don't understand why anyone does this, except as a novelty.
+1 - does not lend itself for quick shifting, agree, its a novelty. If you shift w/o clutch quickly you may manage it too but chance is you don't hit the point properly consistently. So, quick footwork it is.
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by cougar
That's true, manuals are harder to find and demand more in the used car market where I live. Especially for T's and GT cars. Having said that, why would you worry about an over-rev check? It's only possible if you try to down shift to a gear that's too low for the moving speed. Never had that happen in my years of driving MT. If you are worried about it, max speeds for every gear is published and worthwhile to quickly review.
Well, I can tell you from experience that if you drop into a lower gear and over-rev, you have a LOT more to contend with than some computer showing an over-rev. This is called a "Money-shift" and happened to be in 2002 (20 years ago!) at VIR during an Instructor Session at VIR at Turn 10 (Oak Tree) in my 1996 C4S. Result was a completely blown engine, crankshaft through the case and all that. Destroyed. I had Brumos Porsche in Florida order me a new engine that had to be built at Porsche in Germany as there were none to be had in the USA except junkyard motors with high mileage. That took a long time and was expensive. 993's did not have the precision gates we have in the newer cars and even with years of experience - it happens. So there's a plus for PDK - you can't do that with that transmission, the computer won't let you. So that makes the Manual Transmission just a little more.....dangerous.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
+1 - does not lend itself for quick shifting, agree, its a novelty. If you shift w/o clutch quickly you may manage it too but chance is you don't hit the point properly consistently. So, quick footwork it is.
I learnt it back in the crash box days, mainly in Fiat 500's which had no syncro's, but it did come in handy on a couple of occasions in endurance events running 70's era Alfa's.

Once I recall driving one of them 2-hrs home without a clutch, it was easy in them as the bottom of the gear lever acts directly on the selector forks so you can really feel the engagement on each gear. And of course you had synchromesh to help. But starting, that was always fun. Into 1st, make sure nobodies in the way, start the engine and off you go.

Last edited by aggie57; 08-31-2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:03 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I learnt it back in the crash box days, mainly in Fiat 500's which had no syncro's, but it did come in handy on a couple of occasions in endurance events running 70's era Alfa's.

Once I recall driving one of them 2-hrs home without a clutch, it was easy in them as the bottom of the gear lever acts directly on the selector forks so you can really feel the engagement on each gear. And of course you had synchromesh to help. But starting, that was always fun. Into 1st, make sure nobodies in the way, start the engine and off you go.
Yeah, good ol' manual tranny's required a bit more than today's.

I am embarrassed to say it but I learned manual shifting on Trabant's, Moskvich, Lada's .... and years later was able to enjoy my Audi 90 Quattro Kaman. Still have a manual in the garage today (GR86). Last I had issues with what my 435i manual (pretty hard to find too)...it did not like the Spec Stage 2 clutch replacement and was a bear to shift after it warmed up. I picked PDK this time to see what it is all about and its a superb box too.

PS: My worst was loosing clutching ability in my 56' VW Beetle...on the Autobahn. By the time I made it home the tranny was done.

Last edited by Tobeit; 08-31-2022 at 04:04 PM.
aggie57 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 04:40 PM
1MORLAP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to finalize my 4 GTS build and am debating 7mt vs. PDK. My dealer says when you trade in a manual most buyers will require a scan of the dme for over revs. Does the 992 not have rev limiters? Can the auto blip for down shifts be eliminated in some of the mode settings? Can the transmission be shifted without using the clutch both on up and down shifts? Many truck trans you only use the clutch when starting from a stop. I know this isn’t a truck, but you could shift a 986 easily with out clutching. Or maybe it was just worn out😁 love my PDK in my cayman especially on track but am torn on the GTS. TIA
1. GTS is the closest you can get to Turbo with a manual.
2. Probably the last manual as they go hybrid/electric.
StuM (09-03-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 04:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Yeah, good ol' manual tranny's required a bit more than today's.

I am embarrassed to say it but I learned manual shifting on Trabant's, Moskvich, Lada's .... and years later was able to enjoy my Audi 90 Quattro Kaman. Still have a manual in the garage today (GR86). Last I had issues with what my 435i manual (pretty hard to find too)...it did not like the Spec Stage 2 clutch replacement and was a bear to shift after it warmed up. I picked PDK this time to see what it is all about and its a superb box too.

PS: My worst was loosing clutching ability in my 56' VW Beetle...on the Autobahn. By the time I made it home the tranny was done.
They certainly did! Gee, we had Lada’s in New Zealand, really basic but built like a brick s…house. Quite the opposite of the Fiats they were based on.
Tobeit (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 05:07 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
Manual cars aren't desirable on the secondary market. Love the manual but PDK is just to good!!
In the USA - that's the opposite, manual is worth more.
StuM (09-03-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 07:20 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MORLAP
1. GTS is the closest you can get to Turbo with a manual.
2. Probably the last manual as they go hybrid/electric.
Well the Sport Classic is a Turbo with a Manual but I agree that it's the closest a regular buyer can get.
rob929 (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 09:00 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by woobiee
Prior to this, I was not a fan of autoblip (in concept and on my f82 m4) but Porsche seem to do it really well. I may keep it on permanently!
Odd. I find that my manual F80 M3 auto rev matches perfectly and better than my 992 S. The F80 also does hill hold assist VASTLY better than the 992 which almost never works or works intermittently and unpredictably.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:11 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Trying to finalize my 4 GTS build and am debating 7mt vs. PDK. My dealer says when you trade in a manual most buyers will require a scan of the dme for over revs. Does the 992 not have rev limiters? Can the auto blip for down shifts be eliminated in some of the mode settings? Can the transmission be shifted without using the clutch both on up and down shifts? Many truck trans you only use the clutch when starting from a stop. I know this isn’t a truck, but you could shift a 986 easily with out clutching. Or maybe it was just worn out😁 love my PDK in my cayman especially on track but am torn on the GTS. TIA
992 Does have a rev limiter. If you floor it in 1st gear and try to rev it past redline, it will not go past the rev limiter. However, you can still override the rev limiter in any real manual transmission car by mechanically over-revving it. For example, if you are in 3rd gear, flooring it to redline then try to shift into 4th but accidentally pull it into 2nd gear and release the clutch, you will mechanically over-rev the engine and likely bend some valves or cause other major damage. This is what's typically called a "money shift." Because the tires are spinning at say 90 mph when you redline in 3rd gear when you shift into 2nd accidentally, the tires and driveshaft are still spinning at 90 mph and the second you release the clutch, this will cause the engine to mechanically try to rev up to 9000 RPM or whatever and blow up. An electronic rev limiter will not prevent his mechanical over-rev.

Yes. I assume like any manual you can up/down shift w/o the clutch by rev matching but i have not tried it yet and have no intention of trying.

If you like driving a manual, just get the manual. If you are indifferent, get the PDK b/c it's quicker, has cool stuff like launch control, and you won't have to worry about overrevs, blowing up the engine, etc.

Still, a manual GTS would be very fun. It has amazing performance for a manual transmission car and is quicker than a 992 GT3 manual. In fact, I can't think of any current manual transmission car that is quicker than a 992 GTS manual.

Old 09-01-2022, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
992 Does have a rev limiter. If you floor it in 1st gear and try to rev it past redline, it will not go past the rev limiter. However, you can still override the rev limiter in any real manual transmission car by mechanically over-revving it. For example, if you are in 3rd gear, flooring it to redline then try to shift into 4th but accidentally pull it into 2nd gear and release the clutch, you will mechanically over-rev the engine and likely bend some valves or cause other major damage. This is what's typically called a "money shift." Because the tires are spinning at say 90 mph when you redline in 3rd gear when you shift into 2nd accidentally, the tires and driveshaft are still spinning at 90 mph and the second you release the clutch, this will cause the engine to mechanically try to rev up to 9000 RPM or whatever and blow up. An electronic rev limiter will not prevent his mechanical over-rev.

Yes. I assume like any manual you can up/down shift w/o the clutch by rev matching but i have not tried it yet and have no intention of trying.

If you like driving a manual, just get the manual. If you are indifferent, get the PDK b/c it's quicker, has cool stuff like launch control, and you won't have to worry about overrevs, blowing up the engine, etc.

Still, a manual GTS would be very fun. It has amazing performance for a manual transmission car and is quicker than a 992 GT3 manual. In fact, I can't think of any current manual transmission car that is quicker than a 992 GTS manual.
C7 ZR1

Also, it depends on what you mean by "quicker" -- sure, straight line the GTS might be quicker than the GT3, but what happens when you have to turn?
Old 09-01-2022, 01:57 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
C7 ZR1

Also, it depends on what you mean by "quicker" -- sure, straight line the GTS might be quicker than the GT3, but what happens when you have to turn?
Do they currently make a C7 ZR1? No.

Don’t get your panties in a wad. Did I say a GTS is better than a GT3? Did I say I prefer a GTS over a GT3? No.

Quick Reply: 7mt questions for new build.