Porsche Connect renewal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:57 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Put your location on Waze.

Yes your phone can be tracked if there's reasonable cause or you have a tracker active on your car. Insurance companies can and do vary your rates based on a number of factors such as age, miles driven, driving record and data logs etc.

It's the world of "convenience" that says "oh well, they already know where I am so what's the harm". And your data isn't secure anywhere, my DD254 was hacked some years ago, as did my credit card number several times and airline data etc. It f*cks up your credit report and then it's up to you to spend months trying to clear it up. While there are some things you can avoid others you can't.

But one you can is every time you go somewhere like a doctor's office and they ask for your ss number. Refuse to provide it, it's illegal to use that as an ID method and they certainly do not need to know that. One practice insisted, I walked out and so should you.

siberian
I sure agree on not giving info that is not needed such as SS at the doctors office. Porsche connect just does not collect more than I already offer via other means. That's my point.

The following users liked this post:
Dan006 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 03:03 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I think you are mistaken in your believe, all what Amazon protects is your payment method, same is done by Porsche (actually its done by the contracted payment acquirer in the backend). My company develops and services iOT services for e-commerce and remote monitoring among other things and you will be surprised how much data is collected from services you least suspect. You turn off your phone when you drive > 100MPH? If not, you should. I don't give Porsche more info I already share in many ways with or without it...thinking you don't is a mistake. Example: I put a new location in my nav to enable a route..well, does not matter if I do that via Porsche Connect or CarPlay...it put it out there to either way. You are making phone calls while driving? Well, does not matter if its from your phone via CarPlay or PCM or just your phone ...it can be located. You just have to assume anything you put out there can be discovered with oir without Porsche Connect. Your example about Allstate...well, again, technically a lot can be discovered but even Allstate can't just pirate your data and use that to change your insurance. Therefore they offer the track boxes, which basically is nothing else but giving them permission to track it and not so much to be able to track it in the first place. Our world today is just way too transparent and the thought that a service like Porsche Connect would inflict more harm than what we are all already exposed too is simply something I can't share. I see it the other way - if I am stranded, have an accident, my car gets stolen etc...it all can be located to my benefit.
Do you know the benefits of paragraphs?
Old 09-08-2022, 03:04 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Do you know the benefits of paragraphs?
Yeah, got it bit longer...and mobile. Sorry.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Yes your phone can be tracked if there's reasonable cause or you have a tracker active on your car. Insurance companies can and do vary your rates based on a number of factors such as age, miles driven, driving record and data logs etc.
I leave my phone at home. My wife never leaves her phone at home (she owns a MB). This pay confuse the app trackers?

Last edited by VintageRacer; 09-08-2022 at 03:10 PM.
aspan (02-10-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:11 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Thanks all checks out except I am not sure about the LTE. The LTE signal is on but I did not buy a LTE plan but the Porsche services as mentioned. These services do not include the LTE plan itself? I did not see that anywhere on the Porsche website mentioned. If I go to the link, how do I identify my in car LTE to buy that plan?
Back to the question at hand in this thread and ignoring the other folks subjecting us with their opinions... Your cellular plan is separate from Porsche Connect. What year is your 992? If 2020 or 2021 then you must pay for an AT&T plan for your car's SIM. Go to https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login and try entering your VIN. You can also call them and ask if your SIM is live.

You can also test if your SIM is live because then your wireless hotspot should work. Your PCM maps should also be able to show satellite imagery. If this isn't working then your car's SIM connectivity may not be working.
vg247 (02-12-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 10:20 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

It's the world of "convenience" that says "oh well, they already know where I am so what's the harm". And your data isn't secure anywhere, my DD254 was hacked some years ago, as did my credit card number several times and airline data etc. It f*cks up your credit report and then it's up to you to spend months trying to clear it up. While there are some things you can avoid others you can't.

But one you can is every time you go somewhere like a doctor's office and they ask for your ss number. Refuse to provide it, it's illegal to use that as an ID method and they certainly do not need to know that. One practice insisted, I walked out and so should you.

siberian
Wish I would have read this sooner about SSN at the doctor’s office. I just went this morning, and their new form requested it. Wonder how I can go back in and remove it from the system now.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Back to the question at hand in this thread and ignoring the other folks subjecting us with their opinions... Your cellular plan is separate from Porsche Connect. What year is your 992? If 2020 or 2021 then you must pay for an AT&T plan for your car's SIM. Go to https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login and try entering your VIN. You can also call them and ask if your SIM is live.

You can also test if your SIM is live because then your wireless hotspot should work. Your PCM maps should also be able to show satellite imagery. If this isn't working then your car's SIM connectivity may not be working.
Thanks, after your earlier message I figured out the LTE plan but still can’t connect remotely. Maybe need to enable the plan on car?
Old 09-08-2022, 10:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

@shrimp money, call them back and request they delete it. Remind them that SS numbers are not to be used for ID purposes or ANY purpose other than SS business. If they protest refer them to the closest SS Administration and demand they remove that information and confirm in writing. You know the staff turn over at doctors' offices?

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 09-08-2022 at 10:28 PM.
shrimp money (09-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2023, 09:42 PM
L5Man
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Folks,
My experience has been a mess. I ordered a 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S Coupe in December 2020 which was delivered in late January 2022. My dealer had to put a CC down to even get me hooked up prior to delivery.
I have called in to the Porsche USA number at least 3 times in the last 10 days and spoken with Porsche Digital Services Customer Service. I spoke with Christian on Jan 30 at 9am and was told that I
would be called back. No call back. On Feb 7th at 1:15pm I spoke with Tashuna and Jessica. I got the same reply - that I would be called back. No call back. Today, at 9am, I spoke with
Mark. Same reply. No call back. My Porsche Connect services are gone and I want them turned back on immediately. The Porsche representatives mentioned above keep saying that they have to
elevate to a level 2. There is no other option to escalate over the phone to get to a real person who can discuss and speak to why there is even an issue, and what's going on.
Model year 2022 Porsche 911 Turbo S Coupes are supposed to have Porsche Connect service for 3 years.

I emailed 3 Porsche USA VPs: Glenn.Garde, Lea.Anderson, Angus.Fitton. No replies. Porsche customer service has got to be the worst I have ever experienced. I was an exec at several high-tech
companies and always responded to Customers first as Customers Matter. I don't get the Porsche team. They get a solid F and have lost a 5x repeat buyer.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:57 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Porsche has nothing to do with sales at a dealership.

You need to talk to the General Manager at the dealership.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:38 PM
L5Man
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a dealer issue. I have talked to my dealer and they have sent info to Porsche as well. It's a Porsche Connect problem.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:22 PM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by L5Man
It's not a dealer issue. I have talked to my dealer and they have sent info to Porsche as well. It's a Porsche Connect problem.
Have you not had Porsche Connect services since January 2022? Ouch. Or is the problem you haven't been able to pay for Porsche Connect after the initial free trial? [You mention your Turbo S is supposed to have it free for 3 years]

I'm sorry you're having Porsche Connect issues and have been unable to get a human to call you back for assistance. I guess the problem is either your Porsche Connect account (credit card setup, configuration) OR settings in your 992 PCM (privacy accidentally turned on, SIM card not setup). If you want help and are interested in trying to diagnose and debug it yourself then here are some things you can try to start:
  1. Do you have a Porche ID setup and selected in your 992? That is necessary first
  2. Can you login to the Porsche Connect services website? https://my.porsche.com/
  3. In that website for your 992, check the bottom "My Connect Services" section. Mine say things like:
    • Car Control / Contract term: to Jul 18, 2023
    • Navigation Plus / Contract term: to Jul 18, 2023
  4. This website is also where you setup your credit card (self-service): upper-right My Profile / Profile Settings / Payment & Orders / Payment Methods
    • Under here is also where my order for yearly orders for Porsche Connect services appears, as well as the initial free Trial Period "order"
  5. Another way to check Porsche Connect services is in the My Porsche iPhone app: Vehicle / Details / Functions / PCM Services
  6. If all is good, next we need to check your car's SIM. Does it show cellular service (in the upper right where the set of vertical lines appears like your mobile phone's display of service level)?
    • Does the Turbo S also get 3 years of SIM service? I use https://myvehicle.att.com/ to manage and pay for my ATT SIM cellular service plan
  7. If all is good with your SIM, next we need to check your car's Porsche Connect login and settings in the PCM. This is a good reference: https://connect-store-static01.porsc...2135048222.pdf

Last edited by mikey94025; 02-12-2023 at 02:26 PM.
vg247 (02-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect renewal