Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect renewal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:56 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

I have my PCM screen set to turn off shortly after the car is started. Would it have been a choice I would have selected PCM delete.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:39 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan006
indeed CarPlay is not linked to the subscription
They were going to make it a subscription until the uproar.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Noah Fect (02-12-2023), ron4sc (11-24-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 09:56 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

So, I just bought the navigation ($205/year) and Porsche connect ($110/year) plans. Wanted to see what this is all about and thought location finder, valet alarm, weather/traffic, lock/unlock comes in handy. However, I bought it, connected it and it worked once and now can't lock/unlock the car - always says service temporarily not available. To get amazon music to work it looks I have to disconnect my CarPlay?

How are these services working for you guys?
Old 09-08-2022, 11:50 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Wanted to see what this is all about and thought location finder, valet alarm, weather/traffic, lock/unlock comes in handy. However, I bought it, connected it and it worked once and now can't lock/unlock the car - always says service temporarily not available. To get amazon music to work it looks I have to disconnect my CarPlay?

How are these services working for you guys?
It's working for my 2020 C2S and I just unlocked the car successfully using the My Porsche app. I can't help you with Amazon Music (don't use it) but the other features should be working for you.
  1. Check that your SIM is providing LTE - Does the cellular signal show up along with "LTE" in the upper right of the PCM when you're driving? For 2020s this cellular service is provided by ATT. You have to pay after the initial free trial: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login
  2. Without your phone connected, do your PCM maps show satellite data and can you search Nav locations using Google? All these will work if your LTE subscription is active.
  3. Make sure all your Porsche Connect services are enabled - Go to Settings / Porsche Connect / Service Overview. In the next screen, everything should show valid until a future date.
  4. Make sure none of your Porsche Connect services are set to private mode - Go to Settings / Porsche Connect, make sure Private Mode is unchecked. Also go to Private Mode for Selected Services, every item should be left checked in the next screen.

The following users liked this post:
Patriot (02-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey94025
It's working for my 2020 C2S and I just unlocked the car successfully using the My Porsche app. I can't help you with Amazon Music (don't use it) but the other features should be working for you.
  1. Check that your SIM is providing LTE - Does the cellular signal show up along with "LTE" in the upper right of the PCM when you're driving? For 2020s this cellular service is provided by ATT. You have to pay after the initial free trial: https://myvehicle.att.com/#/login
  2. Without your phone connected, do your PCM maps show satellite data and can you search Nav locations using Google? All these will work if your LTE subscription is active.
  3. Make sure all your Porsche Connect services are enabled - Go to Settings / Porsche Connect / Service Overview. In the next screen, everything should show valid until a future date.
  4. Make sure none of your Porsche Connect services are set to private mode - Go to Settings / Porsche Connect, make sure Private Mode is unchecked. Also go to Private Mode for Selected Services, every item should be left checked in the next screen.

Thanks all checks out except I am not sure about the LTE. The LTE signal is on but I did not buy a LTE plan but the Porsche services as mentioned. These services do not include the LTE plan itself? I did not see that anywhere on the Porsche website mentioned. If I go to the link, how do I identify my in car LTE to buy that plan?
Old 09-08-2022, 11:59 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

I have another new car with CarPlay, and it seems easier to me when switching cars to just use CarPlay.
What advantage is there to using the PCM?
Old 09-08-2022, 12:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Don't use it on principle. To pay that kind of cash for a car and then be nickle and dimed for these "services"...; I use Waze (if ever I need) and BT to my iPhone (didn't order Bermeister). The only thing I would pay a one time fee (assuming it was reasonable comparatively to other similar vehicles) is a remote start.

siberian
ron4sc (11-24-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:15 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Don't use it on principle. To pay that kind of cash for a car and then be nickle and dimed for these "services"...; I use Waze (if ever I need) and BT to my iPhone (didn't order Bermeister). The only thing I would pay a one time fee (assuming it was reasonable comparatively to other similar vehicles) is a remote start.

siberian
I would love remote start. I miss that from my Raptor.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:30 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For where I live it would certainly be a lot more useful than an aerokit (didn't order it either)... but who knows they may offer that as a seasonal subscription... at least I have the heated steering and seat options though I wish it could remember the settings when you start the car again. Another annoying little thing that should have been addressed as I have that on my 2008 V8 Touareg (the heated steering I retrofitted)...

siberian
Old 09-08-2022, 01:21 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

I never signed up when I bought the car. I didn't want Porsche spying on me. I would also be the 'internet of things'.

[They said your account is secret. That is what Equifax, the IRS, etc. said before getting hacked.] My car, my life.
Denny Swift (02-11-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I never signed up when I bought the car. I didn't want Porsche spying on me. I would also be the 'internet of things'.

[They said your account is secret. That is what Equifax, the IRS, etc. said before getting hacked.] My car, my life.
Well...you got any online accounts like Amazon, Google, Siri, Alexa....I suppose you also don't use online banking or any online services or subscriptions? How about your e-mail accounts...you sure signed up for Rennlist....just saying.
Dan006 (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Some are must in today's life, other like sharing you're having a Latte at Star$ is where I believe the OP and myself are coming from. I don't use Siri/Alexa etc., run my own email server with VPNs, cut the umbilical cord years ago...

There are things you can't avoid others...40+ years in computing and nets and comms...

Remember anytime you aren't paying for something... YOU are the product.

siberian
Old 09-08-2022, 02:01 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Well...you got any online accounts like Amazon, Google, Siri, Alexa....I suppose you also don't use online banking or any online services or subscriptions? How about your e-mail accounts...you sure signed up for Rennlist....just saying.
That is true except Siri and Alexa. Some have federal protections on credit cards like Amazon.

No one else can report my driving on a track at 100+ Mph. It can't know if it was on the streets, or it was on a track (AMP). Not something that Allstate needs to know.

What is the upside to giving Porsche my private driving information? Nothing. Porsche can sell my stuff to increase their profit margins (it's already best in the car business) to a higher level. No thanks.
siberian (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
That is true except Siri and Alexa. Some have federal protections on credit cards like Amazon.

No one else can report my driving on a track at 100+ Mph. It can't know if it was on the streets, or it was on a track (AMP). Not something that Allstate needs to know.

What is the upside to giving Porsche my private driving information? Nothing. Porsche can sell my stuff to increase their profit margins (it's already best in the car business) to a higher level. No thanks.
I think you are mistaken in your believe, all what Amazon protects is your payment method, same is done by Porsche (actually its done by the contracted payment acquirer in the backend).

My company develops and services iOT services for e-commerce and remote monitoring among other things and you will be surprised how much data is collected from services you least suspect. You turn off your phone when you drive > 100MPH? If not, you should. I don't give Porsche more info I already share in many ways with or without it...thinking you don't is a mistake.

Example: I put a new location in my nav to enable a route..well, does not matter if I do that via Porsche Connect or CarPlay...it put it out there to either way. You are making phone calls while driving? Well, does not matter if its from your phone via CarPlay or PCM or just your phone ...it can be located. You just have to assume anything you put out there can be discovered with oir without Porsche Connect.

Your example about Allstate...well, again, technically a lot can be discovered but even Allstate can't just pirate your data and use that to change your insurance. Therefore they offer the track boxes, which basically is nothing else but giving them permission to track it and not so much to be able to track it in the first place.

Our world today is just way too transparent and the thought that a service like Porsche Connect would inflict more harm than what we are all already exposed too is simply something I can't share. I see it the other way - if I am stranded, have an accident, my car gets stolen etc...it all can be located to my benefit.

Last edited by Tobeit; 09-08-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Noah Fect (02-12-2023)
Old 09-08-2022, 02:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Put your location on Waze.

Yes your phone can be tracked if there's reasonable cause or you have a tracker active on your car. Insurance companies can and do vary your rates based on a number of factors such as age, miles driven, driving record and data logs etc.

It's the world of "convenience" that says "oh well, they already know where I am so what's the harm". And your data isn't secure anywhere, my DD254 was hacked some years ago, as did my credit card number several times and airline data etc. It f*cks up your credit report and then it's up to you to spend months trying to clear it up. While there are some things you can avoid others you can't.

But one you can is every time you go somewhere like a doctor's office and they ask for your ss number. Refuse to provide it, it's illegal to use that as an ID method and they certainly do not need to know that. One practice insisted, I walked out and so should you.

siberian

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect renewal