Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

GTS Lightweight Package VS PCCB/GlassRoof

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 11:03 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,314 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Sport Seats Plus 4way (are amazing) and blow the LWP away in terms of weight savings (vs 18 way), all by themselves. Factor that in with the amazing PCCB's (no brake dust and also weight way less) and this is a no brainer.
The benefit of the 18-way vs the 4-way seats is the flexibility they offer.

With the 18-way, I have one memory setting for street use with the seat-bottom and seat-back side bolsters fully open and the lumbar support inflated for a nice and comfortable seat. I have the second memory setting with the lumbar support fully deflated and the seat-bottom and seat-back side bolsters tightened for a bucket like snug fit for track use. This allows me to switch between street and track seating at the press of a button. A track buddy of mine has a C2S with the Sport 4-ways, when I showed him how I used the 18-ways and he tried them out, he regretted not getting them on his car. The 4-way are comfortable, but they do not permit the snug fit that the 18-way can offer. And the weight difference between the two is much less than urban legend has us believe.

That being said, the CF bucket seats are an integral part of the lightweight package. IMO, there's little point getting the lightweight package without the CF bucket seats.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-26-2022 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
APEX GT3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:06 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 134 Posts

THANKS, EVERYONE!!! I've learned a few things:

PCCB - YES and sticking to it (always been on my bucket list on a car, I just couldn't ever find a used Porsche with them,other than a high ADM GT3 used. Now, with this GTS allocation, I have the chance and I'm not going to make the mistake and regret it.
GlassRoof - I think I'd rather add RWS(rearwhl steer) and FAL(axle lift) and

LWP - Light Weight Package (it's not about weight savings, more of a GTS Performance Package (like that 2018 Macan)
  1. LWGlass - The glass I've gotten some feedback that it not worth the money and can be troublesome with cracking or merely rock chips that cause damage to windsheild - replacement time etc. Does this really enhance the engine sound or not? Would a standard GTS with this sound just as close the one with the LWP?
  2. LWBattery - This can be sourced aftermarket, but I do seriously thing it's a non issue and not worth playing around with
  3. LWAero - Under the car is pretty slick and the raised spolier(allready an eye sore) I guess is a neat parlor trick or convo at the next cars&coffee but with the limited (if any) track time I doubt I'll miss this.
  4. RQSteering - I'll be getting this regardless.
  5. Buckets - This adds to the driving feel, for sure, will make the car feel way more racecar and more connection to the road and all, but this is the one item that pushes this car over the level or Sport Car to Race Car.. Still undecided no this.
  6. 18Way - These are the same price as the buckets in the LWPackage and ADD weight, a good amount of it too. I've had them before in a 991.2 and I found myself constantly playin gwith the seating position and bolsters. I prefer the 4-way sport seats over these (evern the 14 way I have now in my 992 C2)
  7. LWSound Insulation and Rear Seat Removal - This may be the killer regreat item by not getting the LWP. What I am challenged with is the question of:
    1. Does this just add ALL noise inside the cabin and this is why the LWGlass must be added to level it
    2. I wonder if removal the rear seats change the VIN# to a car that is NOT 2x2 and increases the Car Insurance premium? Anyone Know?
    3. If I want more sound, an Akrapovic valved exhaust will do just that. (I have sport cats and M-Engineering Tune now, I'll be selling the SOUL Sport Cats (DM if interested, installed late May, about 4 months used), I dont want to tune the GTS)

Old 08-26-2022, 03:13 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

@CanAutM3 That's such a common sense thing to do that I NEVER thought of! I did find myself playing with the 18-way adjustments so much while driving as a went from S+ to Sport or to normal.
CanAutM3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 03:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,706 Likes on 5,116 Posts

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
For a GTS Coupe:

1. LightWeight Package w/18 Way Seats (Steel Brakes and Race-tex roof lining)
VS
2. PCCB w/Glass Roof
  • Both Specs total 170K USD
  • That's the budget, can't afford to add both
  • My situation: weekend car 5k a year miles, no kids, 2-3 days per year for track time (maybe)
Would you go with the lightweight package? Yes/No?
Given those two options, I would just pass entirely on the GTS.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:54 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

@ipse dixit You can't say that and just not give any feedback! What do you recommend, since it seems I missed the mark on option picking? Go with buckets right?
Old 08-26-2022, 04:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@ipse dixit You can't say that and just not give any feedback! What do you recommend, since it seems I missed the mark on option picking? Go with buckets right?
I just think both of your intended specs are (excuse my language, no offense intend) a bit oxymoronic.

The real charm and the quiddity of the LWP is the bucket seats.

If you're going to add a glass sunroof (esp. with your intended use, i.e. weekend toy, occasional track bitch) why bother with the PCCBs, when whatever unsprung weight you save with the rotors, you add it all back in the worst possible place for the car (high up).

I would rethink your entire configuration with the budget you have in mind, i.e., 170k.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
balucipher (10-01-2022), CanAutM3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 04:24 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I just think both of your intended specs are (excuse my language, no offense intend) a bit oxymoronic.

The real charm and the quiddity of the LWP is the bucket seats.

If you're going to add a glass sunroof (esp. with your intended use, i.e. weekend toy, occasional track bitch) why bother with the PCCBs, when whatever unsprung weight you save with the rotors, you add it all back in the worst possible place for the car (high up).

I would rethink your entire configuration with the budget you have in mind, i.e., 170k.

@ipse dixit - I 100% do not take any offense, I'm asking for the feedback(or a little kick in the *** when needed) and to be honest, I've spent WAY too much time in the configurator. I've had 2 x 911s to date(991.2 4S and 992 C2 now, both used). I've never had the chance to spec a 911 (not to mention a GTS) so I'm a bit excited and nervous - really don't want to have regrets. Almost on an obsessive level now.

I've watched tons of videos, trying to determine what's best, here are some good ones that have helped..

Old 08-26-2022, 04:42 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

If you can afford 170k, you can afford 180. Just sayin' .. That's either an artificial limit, or you can't afford 170k.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:51 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
If you can afford 170k, you can afford 180. Just sayin' .. That's either an artificial limit, or you can't afford 170k.
2023 is the year I turn 40, I can blame this on the mid-life crisis and squeeze out another 9k I suppose. Best for me to go test drive a 911 with bucket seats to see how they feel...wish me luck finding that(will 100% be a 991.1 or 991.2 GT3)

It's all ABOUT THE BUCKETS NOW. Thanks everyone
Old 08-26-2022, 05:11 PM
alexbpm
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just returned from PEC Atlanta and tracked a 992 GT3. Guess what? 18-way seats, not buckets. It’s not oxymoronic to spec a car the way you would find it most comfortable. If you’re concerned about resale, there will always be someone similar tastes considering preference for buckets vs comfort are split right down the middle. Spec it the way you want it. Personally? I like the 18 way seats the best out of all of the Porsche seating options
APEX GT3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 05:45 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,314 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by alexbpm
Just returned from PEC Atlanta and tracked a 992 GT3. Guess what? 18-way seats, not buckets. It’s not oxymoronic to spec a car the way you would find it most comfortable. If you’re concerned about resale, there will always be someone similar tastes considering preference for buckets vs comfort are split right down the middle. Spec it the way you want it. Personally? I like the 18 way seats the best out of all of the Porsche seating options
I agree, everyone should spec their cars based on their individual needs and desires. But I believe it is also important to assess the comparative values of different option combinations. What I question, is the value of the lightweight package with the 18-way seats.

The lightweight package with the CF bucket seats essentially offers $9,240 of "value" for a $8,690 cost compared to ordering the options individually, plus you get the reduced sound deadening and improved aero thrown in for "free". On the other hand, when ordered with the 18-way seats, you only get $6,160 of "options value", so you are essentially paying $2,530 to remove the rear seats, the reduced sound deadening and improved aero. Buyers need to assess if that is worth the money to them.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-26-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:08 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
and improved aero
What is this improved aero you speak of? Does the lightweight package include changes to aero that I'm unaware of?

EDIT: never mind - answered my own question:
  • Underbody paneling with air control blades
  • Adapted rear spoiler adjustments

Last edited by dhirm5; 08-26-2022 at 06:11 PM.
CanAutM3 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 06:35 PM
alexbpm
Rennlist Member

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/9...weight-package

“Other performance optimisation include rear-axle steering as standard in this equipment combination, along with additional aerodynamic finishing touches. New air-guide elements in the front section of the underbody reduce lift at the front. The control of the adaptive rear spoiler has been re-programmed. It is now approximately four degrees steeper in its performance setting, which gives the benefit of more downforce.”
The following 3 users liked this post by alexbpm:
CanAutM3 (08-26-2022), Car Guy Ottawa (08-26-2022), dhirm5 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 07:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@ipse dixit - I 100% do not take any offense, I'm asking for the feedback(or a little kick in the *** when needed) and to be honest, I've spent WAY too much time in the configurator. I've had 2 x 911s to date(991.2 4S and 992 C2 now, both used). I've never had the chance to spec a 911 (not to mention a GTS) so I'm a bit excited and nervous - really don't want to have regrets. Almost on an obsessive level now.
I think you should stop watching videos (and listening to the peanut gallery on RL, myself included), and sit down with yourself and figure out what you want out of the car.

You say your intended use-case is weekend canyon carver and may the odd-day track toy.

Ok, let's go with that.

If it's a car your going to use occaisonally, do you really want to optimize comfort (i.e., a grand tourer spec) over performance (a Porsche GT-esque spec); or would you rather optimize performance over comfort?

If I were you, and admittedly I am not, and I was only going to use the car maybe a 1/10th of the time (or about 30-40 days a year) and intended to track the car on those weekends when the wife is out shopping for her next Hermes purse, then I would spec LWB + Lightweight pkg + PCCBs, which would still give you about 5k to play with to add other doo-dads that you want.

Here's my suggested build, MSRP of 165,700: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPVMGJS3
APEX GT3 (08-27-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 09:01 PM
alexbpm
Rennlist Member

Sometimes when I’m on the fence about a vehicle purchase, I select the spec/build/model that will retain most of it’s value. Honestly I’m sure it sounds like I’m pushing the GTS, but compared to a Carrera 2S, 4S, and even a Taycan…the GTS is the one that’s going to keep it’s value and you won’t be kicking yourself when it comes time to sell.

Quick Reply: GTS Lightweight Package VS PCCB/GlassRoof