Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive GTS ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 01:59 AM
Gr33n
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Definitive GTS ground clearance?

Hey gang. Might pull the trigger on a condo here in Tokyo that has one of those "machine parking" garages on site (see below ). My concern is the requirement for at least 10cm of ground clearance. Also attaching a photo to show the actual garage and the metal lip you need to clear. There are multiple sizes, so I can opt for the widest slot (5.3m length, 1.9m width, 2.05m height, 2,300kg weight limit), but the ground clearance doesn't change. My build, estimated to arrive in November, has the sport design side skirts and no FAL. I have found differing opinions on how high the GTS rides, but it seems 10.4-10.9cm is the consensus. Does it dip much lower with a full tank? Should I just use the machine parking for our family vehicle and find the GTS a proper garage? Let me know your thoughts.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:59 AM
Stanley Rous
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

I would have put money on you being fine to use that but I just measured the clearance on the lowest point (just in front of the front wheels) of my GTS (No FAL) at 8.2cm.
The following users liked this post:
Gr33n (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 03:10 AM
Stanley Rous
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

I just had a closer look at your picture and see the wheels go in the tracks with the high part between the wheels so took some more measurements. The centre of the car has 11cm clearance but there are two bits of trim that look to direct airflow into the brakes and they are only 8cm of clearance. Their narrowest point towards the centre of the car is 47cm from the outside of the wheel. It’s touch and go but if you could provide the width of high point in the middle of the lift we could confirm for you. Luckily I cleaned the garage floor at the weekend!
The following 2 users liked this post by Stanley Rous:
Gr33n (08-23-2022), Schwarz992C4S (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 04:15 AM
Gr33n
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stanley Rous
I just had a closer look at your picture and see the wheels go in the tracks with the high part between the wheels so took some more measurements. The centre of the car has 11cm clearance but there are two bits of trim that look to direct airflow into the brakes and they are only 8cm of clearance. Their narrowest point towards the centre of the car is 47cm from the outside of the wheel. It’s touch and go but if you could provide the width of high point in the middle of the lift we could confirm for you. Luckily I cleaned the garage floor at the weekend!
A gentleman and a scholar! I need to set an appointment to go measure it, but I will certainly update this thread once I make it back over. Thank you so much!
Schwarz992C4S (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 10:49 AM
AJ_Tokyo
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey, don’t know where your condo/garage is but I would suggest looking for one that has a flat floor (no middle hump/raised portion) for safety.
Reason being that, even if you don’t scrape on the bottom, you may not have enough clearance in the “channels” on each side of the hump to fit the wide rear tires - most garages will tell you this won’t work.
Also be aware that the 992 in non-turbo form is 1850mm wide (excluding mirrors) so I would be nervous with a 1.9m max width clearance.
As for ride height, Japanese law says car must have 12cm ground clearance for shaken but that is with no passengers.
I’m traveling at the moment but I can try measuring the clearance on my Japanese-market GTS when I get back.

Overall, my recommendations are this:
1. Look for parking with a flat floor - they do exist (that’s what I use)
2. Definitely don’t sign the contract on a parking space until you can actually test park the exact car in the exact space - all garages will let you do this

Hope that’s helpful!
Gr33n (08-23-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Gr33n
Instructor

SA offered to let me take their SPASM-equipped C2S with sport design package to test park it, but have already identified some backups nearby

Quick Reply: Definitive GTS ground clearance?