Debating a friend on Rear Axle Steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 07:33 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Arguing with a non-present third party on the internet ... 🙄
To be clear it was not an "argument" . It was a discussion and there were two people besides myself . One was a newbie simply asking and the the other two had opposing views . Now I did send the link to the newbie and he's reading . I have not sent it to my friend .. YET . I will do but since there is such an overwhelming favorable consensus I don't want him to get flamed here if he posts . W are still friends !! I agree with him on MANY other things .. but not this . To his defense ... he is entitled to an opinion even if I happen to disagree with it . He already told me why he thinks I feel the way I do . I drive like a grandpa in his eyes (paraphrasing the thought) so how could I know . He feeling is he may have pushed the car beyond his own limits and got scared by it but won't blame himself . Its easier to blame RAS . Thats just an opinion of mine . His Gt car does have it and he agrees it needs it . His reference was the non. Gt cars and it was not out of snobbery . He has a non Gt car too and has owned others before it . His argument is that I just finished break in and he has more 992 seat time but collectively this forum has more seat time than both he and I combined so the RAS topic was tossed up here to discuss further . I would have been OK if people agreed with him . I was simply hoping to get more insight .

Old 08-20-2022, 08:16 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
The lithium battery issue seems to be pretty rare. My 991.2 had it and as someone who lives in a pretty big city with crappy streets, it was a godsend. I originally specced my incoming GTS without it but then convinced myself to get it because the turning radius reduction is worth it to me.
You might want to search this forum if you believe lithium battery issues in the 992 are rare.
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 08:23 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have Rear Wheel Steering on both my '21 992 C2S and '21 Cayenne GTS. I absolutely love it on both vehicles and would spec it on any new order, even though I know there is a $ 2,500 battery replacement somewhere along the line forthcoming. No matter, I tend to trade in my vehicles at the four year mark when they are exiting warranty.
Sounds good…except some owners are having to replace the 2.5k battery after MONTHS not years. Then there’s the fight with Porsche over warranty. Wrong mileage, wrong tender, wrong underpants…
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (08-20-2022)
Old 08-20-2022, 10:59 AM
EXFIB
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

I too am debating the RAS on my C4GTS which locks in Nov. I am not tracking this queen nor am I EVER going to park near another car in a tight spot. I live in countryside. Over the last two weeks, I have had the opportunity to speak to race car and street car drivers about their thoughts with the verdict being about 60/40 to remove the option. The battery is the #1 concern. Yesterday I called a top Porsche dealer and spoke to their service manager. In short, there were two Porsches that both had dead lithium ion batteries, one due to improper charging and the other due to sitting at the service center for a while without a tender if I understood him correctly. Here is the point, he called Porsche for replacements and there was a 5 day pushed to a 10 day and pushed to late September for the lithium battery replacements to arrive. There is an issue getting them. Supply chain issues are real. I am leaning now to 90/10 deleting the option from my build. Why not call a Porsche service dept and get the scoop?
Old 08-21-2022, 11:11 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

RAS is a mandatory option when selecting PDCC on a Targa. Yet, you can option RAS without PDCC.

What is it about PDCC that necessitates RAS?

PDCC is considered by most an unnecessary option on most 992 models; however, it seems like a necessary option on a Targa with its increased weight and higher center of gravity.

Quick Reply: Debating a friend on Rear Axle Steering