Sponsored by:

My expensive base build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 05:42 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I think you picked the most important of functional and performance items. The rest is just visual so it’s you who will ultimately live with the car. I like the heritage interior, I’m undecided on the exterior color selection though with that interior.
I also struggle with this. Typically, I decide on an exterior color first and then think about a fitting interior. I did play with the configurator and the Heritage Exterior (cognac as above) and could not find an exterior that really convinced me yet. Black will go great (but I hate to take care of black cars). Green would be great, but not my color. So far best options for me would be White or Carmine Red. The latter would probably be my pick, if I were to order again today.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:49 PM
rgoldm2
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
I also struggle with this. Typically, I decide on an exterior color first and then think about a fitting interior. I did play with the configurator and the Heritage Exterior (cognac as above) and could not find an exterior that really convinced me yet. Black will go great (but I hate to take care of black cars). Green would be great, but not my color. So far best options for me would be White or Carmine Red. The latter would probably be my pick, if I were to order again today.
I did go back and forth quite a bit. I settled on chalk when at the dealer we placed samples next to each color. My wife and I agreed on chalk. Other choice was black too. Agreed with green but not my color.
Old 08-13-2022, 05:55 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

We had an order demand in for a Dolomite Silver car that is now retired for ‘23. Now back to Jet Black Metallic. Cannot get the wife to go for Python Green and for some reason she hates GT Silver 🤷‍♂️

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP1YQ2Z6
Old 08-13-2022, 05:58 PM
rgoldm2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stoney901
We had an order demand in for a Dolomite Silver car that is now retired for ‘23. Now back to Jet Black Metallic. Cannot get the wife to go for Python Green and for some reason she hates GT Silver 🤷‍♂️

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP1YQ2Z6
black looks good with that
The following users liked this post:
audimotion (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
glennstu
AutoX

Received 77 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice looking build! I have a similar C2 spec ordered. Load it up and enjoy the ride!
Old 08-13-2022, 08:19 PM
ced4jets
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Great build! I agree, load it up and make it special for you. I currently have a C2 but have an allocation for a GTS and doing the same.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:57 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Not consistent with my own performance priorities, but if it's what you want, go for it.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:08 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Nice . . . Just IMHO not sure I’d load up a base Carrera that way.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:04 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Kill that deal!! You've got the wrong car!! Hate to **** on your leg but you've over built that car and/or wrong model It's a base 992 and you've got way too much in options. I'd bet your dealership is asking for a non refundable deposit. Why do I say that? If you walk your dealer will eat that car and need to discount the car. Never build a base 992 with $50k in options. Bad move and you'll find out when you're done with the car. I'm shocked someone at the dealership didn't pull the needle out of your arm!! You've got the wrong model!! Wait for a better allocation!!

Pull these items:!
Racetex
18 way seats
fuel tank
chalk
Heritage
Burmester!!!!

Last edited by EZ E; 08-14-2022 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:28 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by rgoldm2
I know this is an expensive base build but it’s the allocation I was offered and I am currently a 991.2 base owner. Any comments on options or changes I’m open to hearing. It should be freezing fairly soon. Thanks!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP76XYV1
I know everyone loves your car here but I think its a ridiculous amount to spend on a base car . I have always looked at the base car as the entry level car to strip down costs . By loading it up its almost as if you are paying 30K ADM . Plus you will have to wait for months to get it. If spending for the sake of spending why not pay the over MSRP and buy. car with less than 500 miles on it (likely flipped) or traded back to the dealership.. Skip the wait and have a car now . Obviously there is not much to dislike with the car EXCEPT how Porsche staggers the option price tag on the lower trim cars , Your options alone are 47 percent of the base price of the car .

Last edited by yrralis1; 08-14-2022 at 07:53 AM.
dixonk (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:29 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

It's your money and your car but remember any money spent on options is pretty much gone. You'll get some back at resale but not much. Personally the less options the better.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:34 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
Kill that deal!! You've got the wrong car!! Hate to **** on your leg but you've over built that car and/or wrong model It's a base 992 and you've got way too much in options. I'd bet your dealership is asking for a non refundable deposit. Why do I say that? If you walk your dealer will eat that car and need to discount the car. Never build a base 992 with $50k in options. Bad move and you'll find out when you're done with the car. I'm shocked someone at the dealership didn't pull the needle out of your arm!! You've got the wrong model!! Wait for a better allocation!!

Pull these items:!
Racetex
18 way seats
fuel tank
chalk
Heritage
Burmester!!!!

While I think its a really cool build I agree somewhat with your list, but come on. If you take those off its not even the same ethos. And the Fuel tank is $230, who cares. Heritage and chalk are subjective. He has to sit somewhere so get 18s. Only thing I'd skip is burmester.
balucipher (09-11-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:39 AM
R-M-C
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I know everyone loves your car here but I think its a ridiculous amount to spend on a base car . I have always looked at the base car as the entry level car to strip down costs . By loading it up its almost as if you are paying 30K ADM . Plus you will have to wait for months to get it. If spending for the sake of spending why not pay the over MSRP and buy. car with less than 500 miles on it (likely flipped) or traded back to the dealership.. Skip the wait and have a car now . Obviously there is not much to dislike with the car EXCEPT how Porsche staggers the option price tag on the lower trim cars , Your options alone are 47 percent of the base price of the car .
Originally Posted by aggie57
It's your money and your car but remember any money spent on options is pretty much gone. You'll get some back at resale but not much. Personally the less options the better.
While I understand this point, it's these options that make the car something special for the owner. The 911 can be configured in so many ways, it can be anything from a GT car to a track weapon. This build looks far more like a GT build, and the options make it a fantastic place to sit in, more akin to an Aston Martin. If that's how you are going to use the car, then I think this is a great build. As for the economics of the options, mostly that depends on how long you plan to own the car (and the enjoyment divided by the length of time you'll own the car). I intend to do something like this build as I want a GT car for touring with my wife, have a Cayman GTS for the track, and plan to keep it for a long time as it's likely the last non-electric car I buy. Everyone's circumstances are different, and I love how Porsche allows you to buy what works for you.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:48 AM
rgoldm2
Instructor

Originally Posted by R-M-C
While I understand this point, it's these options that make the car something special for the owner. The 911 can be configured in so many ways, it can be anything from a GT car to a track weapon. This build looks far more like a GT build, and the options make it a fantastic place to sit in, more akin to an Aston Martin. If that's how you are going to use the car, then I think this is a great build. As for the economics of the options, mostly that depends on how long you plan to own the car (and the enjoyment divided by the length of time you'll own the car). I intend to do something like this build as I want a GT car for touring with my wife, have a Cayman GTS for the track, and plan to keep it for a long time as it's likely the last non-electric car I buy. Everyone's circumstances are different, and I love how Porsche allows you to buy what works for you.
yes you are correct. It’s a gt car. I also do love Aston so funny you said that. I’m not one who keeps cars long but I built this one as a keeper.

Everyone has their opinions. I wasn’t really looking for recommendations to move to another trim as I thought I implied in my first post. Either way, I appreciate the comments. Looking forward to getting MY car!
The following 5 users liked this post by rgoldm2:
bingjeep (08-15-2022), mikey94025 (08-14-2022), R-M-C (08-14-2022), surquhar (08-18-2022), s_earl1 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 10:07 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

I reckon it’s a fabulous spec. Lots of toys & creature comforts. Great place to be! As for economics…since when was any Porsche an ‘economic’ choice?
The following 3 users liked this post by BondJ:
BadlyDrawnBoy (08-15-2022), jtsrenn (08-14-2022), R-M-C (08-14-2022)

Quick Reply: My expensive base build