Advice on 911 Carrera Configuration

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 09:42 AM
wristybusiness
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 911 Carrera Configuration

Hello All,

I am posting to get some of your advice on my configuration for my first Porsche - a 911 Carrera. For background:

-I am located in Toronto, ON - weather being similar to Northeast USA - hot summers, moderately snowy winters
-This will be a secondary vehicle to be driven with weather permitting. I do not intend on putting winter tires on the vehicle.
-Driven to the office when weather allows, weekends with the family. No tracking, car meets.
-I really like how the stock Carrera looks both interior and exterior, and would say I am looking for an elegant rather than track-ready sporty look.
-I like the 'deepness' of the standard black and am planning on complete vehicle PPF to preserve vehicle exterior and aid in keeping clean.
-I rarely exceed the speed limit more than 10% when driving, (which is pretty conservative over here).

With that said, I am certainly open to incorporating advice of experienced forum members on option substitutions that will be essentially cost neutral with what I have configured below. With, misc fees, dealer fees ($2750), sales tax (13%) and luxury car sales tax (around $8000), and options my configuration comes to $160,000.00 CAD. This is the most I am prepared to spend on this vehicle.

Here is the configuration link:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPM81C55
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wristybusiness; 08-05-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:47 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 105 Posts

Sharing your Porsche Config Code will get you more input. Based on the pic, I am surprised that you didn't choose the heated seats.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:51 AM
wristybusiness
5th Gear

The link is there towards the bottom.
Heated front seats are standard in our market.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:55 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Winter tires aren’t just for snow, they’re for the cold weather where summer performance tires offer little grip and can actually develop. I would plan on having a set of winter wheels and tires for the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
GuardsRed992 (08-05-2022), russbert (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:12 AM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

A fellow Toronto 911 owner here. I have the 2021 C2S in Gentian Blue about just a little over a year now. Depending on where in the GTA you live, it'll be next to impossible to keep the dark color car clean all the time.
I am in the downtown core, and with all the constructions, I've given up on keeping the car spotless lol. It just collects dust and dirt like no tomorrow.

My driving situation is similar to yours, last year I stored the car sometime mid December till mid March. So I didn't get winter/snow tires for the car.

Your configuration is sensible for your target price, just incredible how inflated the price is now with the price increases and luxury tax. I didn't pay that much more for my 2021 C2S and it had a whole lot more options. Taxes will get ya.
I know you are trying to keep it under the 160K threshold, and not sure if you music/sound is important to you, but if it is remotely crucial, then consider upgrading the stock/base sound system to at least the Bose.

Lastly, do you already have an allocation with a dealership? Last I heard the wait time is still pretty long, although must be getting a bit better. Everytime I am driving the car around town, I am seeing 3 or 4 992's as well.
The following users liked this post:
GuardsRed992 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:27 AM
wristybusiness
5th Gear

Thanks for your reply. Gentian Blue is a great colour as well. I am thinking that the PPF will let me keep the black cleaner with a quick rinse as compared to not having it. Be interested in hearing from those who have PPF as well on whether that is the case.

I am most an audiobook/podcast listener - but appreciate the suggestion about the sound system upgrade. What do you think of the front axle lift system? If you configured it do you use it enough to justify having it? If not, then do you wish you did?

I do not have an allocation. I was there yesterday and they informed me that there are 17 other base Carreras waiting for allocation and that they allocate based on a combination of how many options you have and when you ordered. $5000 deposit required. I am being a quoted a wait of 24 months +
Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 AM
kim9701
Racer

Maybe a few more items:
- Upgrade the GT steering wheel to heated
- Colored Center Porsche Crest on wheels
- Bose (full disclosure - I don't know how base stereo performs)

Last edited by kim9701; 08-05-2022 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2022, 10:37 AM
wristybusiness
5th Gear

-GT steering wheel in heated leather is configured
-Coloured Center Porsche Crest on wheels is what I would have liked but it will not allow me to configure it with the Satin Aurum painted rims
Old 08-05-2022, 10:42 AM
kim9701
Racer

Originally Posted by wristybusiness
-GT steering wheel in heated leather is configured
-Coloured Center Porsche Crest on wheels is what I would have liked but it will not allow me to configure it with the Satin Aurum painted rims
It's odd... but anyway, it will be an easy aftermarket upgrade. Overall, it looks like a very smart build with essential options.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:53 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

This is what I would do and will basically equal out cost wise:

eliminate the fuel cap and the painted wheels (IMHO not conducive to an "elegant" look)

add sport seats plus-better support and more sporty look
add Bose stereo-base stereo is almost universally regarded as befitting the car.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:06 AM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wristybusiness
Thanks for your reply. Gentian Blue is a great colour as well. I am thinking that the PPF will let me keep the black cleaner with a quick rinse as compared to not having it. Be interested in hearing from those who have PPF as well on whether that is the case.

I am most an audiobook/podcast listener - but appreciate the suggestion about the sound system upgrade. What do you think of the front axle lift system? If you configured it do you use it enough to justify having it? If not, then do you wish you did?

I do not have an allocation. I was there yesterday and they informed me that there are 17 other base Carreras waiting for allocation and that they allocate based on a combination of how many options you have and when you ordered. $5000 deposit required. I am being a quoted a wait of 24 months +
I have PPF done to my car as well, and that may be another reason why it attracts dust. lol A quick rinse does remove a lot of the dirt/dust, just have to ensure to dry off the remaining water spots. I am just too lazy to dry off the car.

I do not have the Front Axle Lift, and looking back that was probably another option that I would've ticked off, since I have scraped the bottom of the front lip a few times on the parking ramps. But not sure if the Front axle lift would've helped with some of the steep ramps around downtown Toronto. I did go with the Premium package, rear axle steering, and PDCC. I was happy with all the options I selected, and didn't regret getting them, if anything regret not picking more options.
Couple more options to consider, if you are driving around tight areas in Toronto, consider the Surround View cameras. They have come in handy for myself trying to park or turn in some tight spots. Also, the Porsche crest on the headrest, its a relatively inexpensive option, think around 300 bucks, but adds so much to the look of the seats.

Yikes 24 months wait list, which dealership was this? Did you check out PCNT?
By then, it'll be the 992.2 and almost at the end of life, and the new 911 XXX will be out.
Two more years, means two more MSRP price increases, so add another 7000-10000 to your msrp.

Last edited by commie; 08-05-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:37 PM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

I also had a low option build car. here are my suggestions:

remove fuel cap, waste of money
get Bose, much better in 992 than the 991
get quad exhaust tips, looks so much better. you can also have the dealer program the base exhaust to open and close like PSE, many have done it on the forums
wristybusiness (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 12:43 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

I was losing interest at another black on black Carrera, but you lost me at "I rarely exceed the speed limit."
robert310 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 02:20 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I was losing interest at another black on black Carrera, but you lost me at "I rarely exceed the speed limit."
you've been getting fiesty lately. everything going good? weather out here has been decent. not awefully hot and the afternoon sprinkles have been somewhat regular.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:47 PM
wristybusiness
5th Gear

Originally Posted by commie
I have PPF done to my car as well, and that may be another reason why it attracts dust. lol A quick rinse does remove a lot of the dirt/dust, just have to ensure to dry off the remaining water spots. I am just too lazy to dry off the car.

I do not have the Front Axle Lift, and looking back that was probably another option that I would've ticked off, since I have scraped the bottom of the front lip a few times on the parking ramps. But not sure if the Front axle lift would've helped with some of the steep ramps around downtown Toronto. I did go with the Premium package, rear axle steering, and PDCC. I was happy with all the options I selected, and didn't regret getting them, if anything regret not picking more options.
Couple more options to consider, if you are driving around tight areas in Toronto, consider the Surround View cameras. They have come in handy for myself trying to park or turn in some tight spots. Also, the Porsche crest on the headrest, its a relatively inexpensive option, think around 300 bucks, but adds so much to the look of the seats.

Yikes 24 months wait list, which dealership was this? Did you check out PCNT?
By then, it'll be the 992.2 and almost at the end of life, and the new 911 XXX will be out.
Two more years, means two more MSRP price increases, so add another 7000-10000 to your msrp.
I will remove the aluminum cap and replace it with Porsche crest on the seats. Thanks for the tip!

This was PCNT that I dealt with. I figure it will be the 992.2 and from what I understand they are small updates. No guarantee that the new generation will be better, so don’t mind with 992 or .2 at this point.

Quick Reply: Advice on 911 Carrera Configuration