Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers Selling at MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023 | 04:21 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Originally Posted by srf409
18 month wait for a GTS, yeah, I agree 100%, that is ridiculous. Who waits a year and a half for a car.
In reality they are just not available at that point or the dealer can't get the product which is his problem not mine.
This "OMG those are soooooo hard to get", "We have to charge way over sticker because of the chip shortage", "We'll put you on the list", blah, blah, blah. All this crap is really getting old at this point and they have taught me along with others that I know that we can definitely live an enjoyable life without a high performance sports car in the garage. They can shove the ugly watch along with all the mandatory ceramic and PPF rear end jobs.
I'll get back in this game when the clouds of BS and manipulation clear. If that is years or never then so be it.
well said
The following 2 users liked this post by MontBlanc911:
Mav727 (01-07-2023), srf409 (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023 | 04:36 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

After attending a PCA Porsche and Coffee social this morning (over 90 P’s showed up) I stopped off at a local Mercedes dealer to chat with a SA I have purchased 3 AMG’s from.

A few observations and comments from the salesman.

He still doesn’t have as many new cars to sell as there are potential customers.
All new car sales are preordered unless someone cancels.
AMD’s will be the norm for a while due to demand.
Mercedes transitioning to EV’s has cut conventional auto supply since the gasoline engine production line has been reduced 50%.
Dealers and SA’s like this “model” for premium cars since revenue and income has increased for them.

Last edited by audi4t; 01-07-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2023 | 05:35 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by audi4t
After attending a PCA Porsche and Coffee social this morning (over 90 P’s showed up) I stopped off at a local Mercedes dealer to chat with a SA I have purchased 3 AMG’s from. A few observations and comments from the salesman. He still doesn’t have as many new cars to sell as there are potential customers.All new car sales are preordered unless someone cancels.AMD’s will be the norm for a while due to demand.Mercedes transitioning to EV’s has cut conventional auto supply since the gasoline engine production line has been reduced 50%.Dealers and SA’s like this “model” for premium cars since revenue and income has increased for them.

Have I mentioned how much I loathe electric cars? They are anathema to me. Politicians suck canal water.
The following 3 users liked this post by Smirnoff67:
srf409 (01-07-2023), sublime1996525 (01-09-2023), TheGeneral (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023 | 08:53 PM
leaf345
Racer

What happens to the EV "transition" when the government stops paying people to buy them?
How do you navigate day in day out with an EV when you don't have a garage or when Gavin tells you not to recharge because there aren't enough electrons to go around.
What does the average schmo who is trying to make ends meet and is broke by the end of every month afford a $60,000 EV?
How do the millions of Americans who park on the streets and alley ways where ever they can find a spot recharge?
the cost of gas will likely continue to go up until the the cost of acquiring a BEV makes economical sense even without government incentives.
Also most Americans live in houses and will be able to charge at home. the middle class will likely not have much trouble making the transition.
the poor and working class who rely on driving will have the most difficulty making the transition. Very doubtful that BEVs during our lifetime will ever be as convenient or cost effective for them as ICE cars have been so far.
imagine commuting an hour each day only to have to spend an extra hour or two lining up for a public charging spot every 3 to 4 days, likely for the same price as a gas fill up.

Last edited by leaf345; 01-07-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2023 | 10:05 PM
tna3
Racer

What happens to the EV "transition" when the government stops paying people to buy them?
How do you navigate day in day out with an EV when you don't have a garage or when Gavin tells you not to recharge because there aren't enough electrons to go around.
What does the average schmo who is trying to make ends meet and is broke by the end of every month afford a $60,000 EV?
How do the millions of Americans who park on the streets and alley ways where ever they can find a spot recharge?
Right now you can find ICE cars and actually inventory has started to go up. The problem is these are Nissans, Toyotas, Fords that are for the mass market. You can get a great discount on a new left over 22 Sentra right now for example. Cars that’s the focus of this forum are still in short supply. And as AMG SA points out, dealers and manufacturers have gotten used to the honey, and remain dedicated to squeeze the high end market with inventory caps. All that to say, the EV transition right now isn’t the issue. It’s greed.

Last edited by tna3; 01-07-2023 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sublime1996525 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-07-2023 | 10:10 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

One thing will never change; people will scream and moan and groan every time change occurs. And yet change is constant .. and thus people complaining.

FWIW, I waited nearly 18 months for my 991.2 GTS also; but that wait, like the wait for my 992 GTS, was because I was on the list long before the car was released. Being on "the list" to get the Porsche you want is the only way I've ever experienced the purchase experience. My dealership made it easy; 1k refundable deposit, and wait. The list is real, at least at my dealership.

I'm not sure what the process would have been like if I wanted a base or S. The GTS options pak happens to suit my taste perfectly, so I was willing to wait and pay a bit more both times.
Zetta (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023 | 10:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Have I mentioned how much I loathe electric cars? They are anathema to me. Politicians suck canal water.
Nah, really? Now that is a surprise…..
Smirnoff67 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023 | 02:03 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
But I did learn that politicians apparently suck canal water. That is news to me.
Old 01-08-2023 | 02:32 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by aggie57

🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-08-2023 | 02:36 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But I did learn that politicians apparently suck canal water. That is news to me.
Then you must not know any politicians. They're sucking up that canal water at every meal and snack. Spineless scumbags every one of them. The only thing they care about is staying in Office. Hence the suckage.
tejstar01 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023 | 08:42 AM
Drew46
Drifting

Originally Posted by leaf345
Also most Americans live in houses and will be able to charge at home.
Sure, "most" do. But a not-insignificant percentage do not. And then when you get to the more populous areas - particularly cities - "most" do not. You only need one visit to any major city n America to realize the logistical challenge of going EV across the board. Not to mention folks that live in homes in higher crime areas who might be unable to leave an expensive charging cable unattended overnight while the car charges.
Smirnoff67 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023 | 11:04 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by leaf345
the cost of gas will likely continue to go up until the the cost of acquiring a BEV makes economical sense even without government incentives.Also most Americans live in houses and will be able to charge at home. the middle class will likely not have much trouble making the transition.the poor and working class who rely on driving will have the most difficulty making the transition. Very doubtful that BEVs during our lifetime will ever be as convenient or cost effective for them as ICE cars have been so far.imagine commuting an hour each day only to have to spend an extra hour or two lining up for a public charging spot every 3 to 4 days, likely for the same price as a gas fill up.
​​​​​​​The Average Middle Class you refer to must live differently where you live compared to what I've seen. The average cost of a new BEV is around $65K, and there's no way regular working class people can afford that, let alone two of them. IMO the whole concept is impractical for every-day, working class, normal people. I hate the whole business.
tejstar01 (01-08-2023)
Old 01-08-2023 | 11:01 PM
Jturner78
Advanced

Originally Posted by fastm3
Does anyone know any dealers, really anywhere but preferably in the Northeast or Middle Atlantic states, selling 911s for MSRP, without charging the so called "Market Adjustment"?
A few in NJ do at MSRP if you can get the allocation. I just picked up my GTS 2 weeks ago, (13 months from list to delivery) at MSRP (the first of 70 cars that I paid full price, but not over) and I didn't do any addons.
BUSSTUFJG (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023 | 12:33 PM
sublime1996525
AutoX

The Average Middle Class you refer to must live differently where you live compared to what I've seen. The average cost of a new BEV is around $65K, and there's no way regular working class people can afford that, let alone two of them. IMO the whole concept is impractical for every-day, working class, normal people. I hate the whole business.
I agree. We are nowhere near the point where a BEV is practical for the majority. I hate it's been pushed on us. "Can't afford gas, buy a BEV" lol
Smirnoff67 (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023 | 01:08 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by Drew46
Sure, "most" do. But a not-insignificant percentage do not. And then when you get to the more populous areas - particularly cities - "most" do not. You only need one visit to any major city n America to realize the logistical challenge of going EV across the board. Not to mention folks that live in homes in higher crime areas who might be unable to leave an expensive charging cable unattended overnight while the car charges.
A quick story. Where I grew up, some homes had a small garage, most didn't and parked their cars in the street or driveway. At night the amateur car thieves would bust a car window and if an alarm went off they kept going. No alarm, car would be stolen. One year it was really dry and the water levels were way down from normal. The cops started finding all kinds of stolen cars that were dumped in the Rouge River. It was crazy. Bottom line is you are correct cause it's much worse these days than when I was a kid in that mess.

Quick Reply: Dealers Selling at MSRP