Sponsored by:

Proof GTS is the best

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 02:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I love the 992 and enjoyed mine far more than most, but I respect the NSX for what it is -- handbuilt and exclusive, with tiny production numbers. The NSX has presence and isn't anonymous like a 911. In an NSX, you will never see yourself pulling into Cars & Coffee. It's a bargain for the price-point.

0.1s here, 0.1s there. Meh. Who cares. If being absurdly quick everywhere is what's important to you, buy an EV.

I still regret not picking an NSX up when American Honda was putting $35k on the hood. The NSX is a future classic. If every S Type wasn't already sold, I'd be probably get in line.
The NSX is a tough one for me. I will say it does have a presence but a 4000 lbs sports car is really stretching it. But many reviews have complained that it is some what numb ect ect

Not a car for me.

I am not a believer this will be a future classic. I actually think the car is a flop and Acura really screwed up misjudging what the Market was expecting and wanting
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 02:49 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I get a kick out of the car mags that accept advertising. MT would never bash a car like they did the NSX if it were not being discontinued. Their negatives are usually very subtle, but that was not the case with this NSX. Me thinks a secondary purpose of the article was to illustrate that they can be indeed harsh in their reviews.

This comment is not meant to take anything away from the GTS, which is indeed the proverbial "goldielocks' model of the 911.

The magazines routinely bash cars where bashing is justified. In fact, it’s quite rare to find any review that contains nothing but praise for a car, despite there being expensive adds by the very manufacturers being criticized. I guess it depends on your definition of bash and subtle. I think they appropriately bashed the cars below (especially the AMG):

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...hasing-apexes/

AMG
Highs: Sultry styling, thundering exhaust note, well-appointed interior.
Lows: Unforgiving ride, poor outward visibility, prone to the occasional twitch.
Verdict: Hits many of the right notes but doesn't really play the song properly.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-test-verdict/

“However, this first-year 2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium had too many small faults that added up to us not loving it as much as we wanted to. It's a compelling car with a compelling story—and likely a compelling next few years—but we weren't crestfallen to see its taillights for the last time.”

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...test-0-60-mph-

“The i4 M50 foretells a bright future of EV performance, once BMW programs in a personality”

Old 07-24-2022, 07:49 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

they had it at 10.8@130, which is way way different than 11.1@125
Wild guess, but the C&D GTS test must have been late winter / early spring when temperatures were far friendlier to ICEs, while this NSX compare was likely conducted recently -- during a historic heat wave in many parts of the country. So there's a decent chance the 911 was making 4-7% more power when C&D tested.

I doubt this accounts for the whole difference, but probably a tenth at least.
The following 3 users liked this post by zachr:
d-- (07-26-2022), dhirm5 (07-24-2022), Smirnoff67 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:10 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
The magazines routinely bash cars where bashing is justified AND ADVERTISING DOLLARS ARE NOT AT STAKE. In fact, it’s quite rare to find any review that contains nothing but praise for a car, despite there being expensive adds by the very manufacturers being criticized. I guess it depends on your definition of bash and subtle. I think they appropriately bashed the cars below (especially the AMG):

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...hasing-apexes/

AMG
Highs: Sultry styling, thundering exhaust note, well-appointed interior.
Lows: Unforgiving ride, poor outward visibility, prone to the occasional twitch.
Verdict: Hits many of the right notes but doesn't really play the song properly.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-test-verdict/

“However, this first-year 2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium had too many small faults that added up to us not loving it as much as we wanted to. It's a compelling car with a compelling story—and likely a compelling next few years—but we weren't crestfallen to see its taillights for the last time.”

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...test-0-60-mph-

“The i4 M50 foretells a bright future of EV performance, once BMW programs in a personality”

I bolded one small change to your response.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:03 PM
secondtimer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

I had an NSX and sold it after I bought a 991.2 GT3.

Everything they said about the NSX in the article is true. Heavy, poor body control, you somehow are still reminded of the body control way after the event. Front end felt heavy. Seats not comfortable. The only great thing is the acceleration.

It just felt like a first attempt at sports car by a car company (Acura) vs 50 years of sports car manufacturing experience by Porsche.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:52 AM
d--
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in a 991.1 with SPASM and PDCC with a GTS on preorder.... Y'all making me feel way better about my choice here.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:55 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

I still don't see what is so special about the GTS over the S. Sorry. The only goldilocks aspects I see are that it forces you into certain choices that are not limited on other variants.
SBAD (07-30-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:07 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I still don't see what is so special about the GTS over the S. Sorry. The only goldilocks aspects I see are that it forces you into certain choices that are not limited on other variants.

I’ll spare you you some time - It’s a cult, and as such, you are wasting your time trying to argue, anything. Really.

Let the cult members enjoy their own fantasies of “superiority”. The title of this thread, alone, should tell you all you need to know about where they’re coming from…ie, “the best”. 😎 Rather presumptuous.

SBAD (07-30-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:25 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I’ll spare you you some time - It’s a cult, and as such, you are wasting your time trying to argue, anything. Really.

Let the cult members enjoy their own fantasies of “superiority”. The title of this thread, alone, should tell you all you need to know about where they’re coming from…ie, “the best”. 😎 Rather presumptuous.
Not having driven the GT3, nor having the desire to track my car or have something a bit rougher, etc., while the NA aspect of the GT3 is appealing in an of itself, if that was what I was truly after, I would be in the market for a 718 GTS 4.0. But since, I am still more of a 911 guy than the smaller Cayman sibling, and because of other considerations, to me the true sweet spot to date is the Sport Classic. After all it's a 992 Turbo with a manual. Ducktail and retro interior aside, as those are not my tastes, but strictly from a driver's car, the Sport Classic is the setup that I find most appealing. Since for soooooo many obvious reasons I won't be driving one of those, I think a C2S, potentially with a tune, is all I really want.
SBAD (07-30-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:31 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I see no reason to escalate to this level -- idk how you came to the opinion that it's a cult, or that GTS owners have fantasies of "superiority".

I was willing to pay a few extra dollars over S for the improved brakes from the turbo, and the aesthetics -- I love the black turbo wheels exclusive to the GTS. And the nameplate, if I'm honest. None of that should take anything away from S owners.

I see no reason to move to insults.
The following 5 users liked this post by dhirm5:
911Stiller (07-29-2022), jhenson29 (07-26-2022), NastyHabits (07-29-2022), Smirnoff67 (07-26-2022), zachr (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:42 PM
gwporsche
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2020 NSX after a 991.1S. The 991.1S is definitely more a tossable, fun sportscar. However, the NSX is a special car for its tech, looks, and small production number. Also might be worth noting 2 things: The NSX drives a lot "smaller and lighter" than its curb weight suggests, and it takes a few months of driving/ownership to appreciate the specialness of this car. On a side note..deciding on which set of wheels to keep: HREs P101 (silver) 20"/21" and BCForged (bronze) 19"/20". I like the bigger wheels' look, but the smaller wheels' driving experience.

vic55 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:54 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Reminds me a lot of the R8. I guess that's the point. Not in a bad way.
.:R32E46///M3 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Less sound isolation, bigger brakes, better suspension and a bit more power. That's the GTS over the S. Likely little of those improvements make much difference on the street unless you prefer a less refined/more sporty character which the GTS seems to have over the S. The GTS would definitely be "better" for certain purposes but also likely not hard to mod an S to be the same.

I think you are jumping to a lot of conclusions CodyBigDog I don't have the S or the GTS at the moment (waiting on a GTS to arrive). If I was able to find an S with the options I wanted I would have been more than happy to buy it. I couldn't and I could get the allocation for the GTS. Hard to argue the GTS is not a "better" car on paper for certain purposes and maybe a bit more "raw" which some people really appreciate. I don't think people are having "fantasies of superiority" because their GTS is, in fact, better for the reasons above. But who cares... it's not like it's WAY better or any better day to day on the street... it's just an S with bigger brakes, better suspension, a bit more power and a more visceral/raw experience.

Last edited by gthal; 07-26-2022 at 05:16 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gthal:
dhirm5 (07-26-2022), NastyHabits (07-29-2022), vic55 (07-26-2022), zachr (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:32 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 757 Likes on 143 Posts

I have owned an NSX, albeit the lowly 573hp version (2018). The car drove and steered very well but it didnt feel as connected to the road like my GTS. I felt more like I was sitting on the seat vs in it- hard to articulate but the chassis response of the 992 coupled with its brakes and well balanced steering and road feel make it the better car for me... of course its a 2022 and my NSX was an 18. Another thing I didnt like about the NSX was the exhaust note as a V6 Turbo sounds pretty weak so I added downpipes and it did change the tones and add some decibels.

Some of the great things about the NSX were the magno dampers, that car just soaked up bumps but maybe it was too numb to the elements. I also enjoyed the on demand electric tq delivery at lower speeds as I ran in thru the bends and curves; I could literally tq my way thru and the grip was strong. The car was really on demand up to about 120mph but there it would fall flat as the true motor is only about 500hp (in my car) and the electrics dont continue to support at higher speeds. The interior really never evolved and I can see the Type S is the same as mine with the crap Garmin style Info system and archaic gauge set up. This is all subjective coming from a prior owner but I even felt more connected in my 991.2 GTS as well (2018).

Last edited by vic55; 07-26-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:34 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Took a while for you to respond, the title was meant to be a bit of an attraction for you

they are all great cars. I would have gotten an S if I had been able to get an allocation but not sad I got what I ended up with

guess the title should have been GTS slaps around porkie NSX
The following 2 users liked this post by 992gts:
dhirm5 (07-26-2022), vic55 (07-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Proof GTS is the best