Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finally got 2nd key- yay! then AC stopped working for 5 min. Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 01:34 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts
Default finally got 2nd key- yay! then AC stopped working for 5 min. Huh?

This car is going to make me batty. Finally got my 2nd key at the dealer today, over 7 months after i got the car in Dec. Interesting thing was that the dealer actually got TWO new keys for me. Some kind of mix up. He kept one of them to check w/ Porsche on what he is supposed to do. He said they can't use it for another car, only the one it's made for. So he said likely they'll just mail it to me.

I meantime asked them to unlock the open/close window with remote function, but he said the shop foreman could not figure out how to do it. This was after my car was there for 1.5 hours, so i was like, ok, thanks for trying, even if that doesn't seem right.

So I get back in the car, drive off, and the AC is blowing warm air. I'm like you gotta be kidding me. I started to wonder if that water draining i saw the other day was perhaps a sign of trouble (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1308...n-located.html). Or did programming the key do something, reset some setting?? it was warm outside, over 80 degrees, and setting it down to LO didn't do anything but increase the fan speed. Normally it starts blowing cold air almost right away. About 5 minutes later, all of a sudden cold air kicked on. I couldn't find any setting that may have been changed or reset. Just weird behavior. I have a little PTSD about AC problems, my old Audi A4 had the compressor die 3 times. So I started having concerns...
Old 07-15-2022, 01:43 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

I don’t get what you’re complaining about.

Sometimes it takes a bit for cold air to come out when you turn on the AC
Old 07-15-2022, 01:49 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

If it sat idling for a period right before you picked it up, the condenser may have iced up. Once it defrosted, cold air returns. It will blow warm if frozen since there’s no air flow across the condenser when it is iced up.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:50 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by Tupper
I don’t get what you’re complaining about.

Sometimes it takes a bit for cold air to come out when you turn on the AC
it's never happened like that for me. Even when it was sitting in hot outdoors for hours. Air would be cool and get progressively colder. Within a minute or so it'd be pretty cold. This just kicked on 5 minutes in. Went from warm to cold. Struck me as odd. Curious if anybody else has experienced this.

I've had some random things happen with this car. Battery sensor failure, PCM screen completely not responding, getting a message that my data was all used up and I needed to buy more... now this... just weird stuff.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:52 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
If it sat idling for a period right before you picked it up, the condenser may have iced up. Once it defrosted, cold air returns. It will blow warm if frozen since there’s no air flow across the condenser when it is iced up.
oohhhhh that could make sense. Car was on - whether the engine was on or not i dont know - while they were programming it. I know this because my trip meter went to over an hour.

although help me out here- why would idling freeze up the condenser?
Old 07-15-2022, 02:18 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
why would idling freeze up the condenser?
No air flow across the condenser to move air. This is unlike residential acs that have fans to move air across the condenser, vehicles need to be moving since they don't have fans to move the air so they ice up and work again once the condenser fins de-ice.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:35 PM
achilleas101
Racer

No air flow across the condenser to move air. This is unlike residential acs that have fans to move air across the condenser, vehicles need to be moving since they don't have fans to move the air so they ice up and work again once the condenser fins de-ice.
ah, interesting. Thanks man, appreciate this info. Definitely makes the most sense.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:29 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

So I get back in the car, drive off, and the AC is blowing warm air. I'm like you gotta be kidding me. I started to wonder if that water draining i saw the other day was perhaps a sign of trouble (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1308...n-located.html). Or did programming the key do something, reset some setting?? it was warm outside, over 80 degrees, and setting it down to LO didn't do anything but increase the fan speed. Normally it starts blowing cold air almost right away. About 5 minutes later, all of a sudden cold air kicked on. I couldn't find any setting that may have been changed or reset. Just weird behavior. I have a little PTSD about AC problems, my old Audi A4 had the compressor die 3 times. So I started having concerns...
Maybe Porsche's experimenting with a subscription service for the AC?
Old 07-15-2022, 05:04 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
That was my thought, exactly!! 👍

Was “cold air” in the Porsche configurator?

They charge for everything else.
The following users liked this post:
jtsrenn (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:26 PM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
Ha! I assume this is poking fun at BMW making heated seats a subscription? Man... how asinine if the car industry starts really going that way.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:30 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

Did Porsche send the key direct to you or did your dealer have to set that up? I still haven’t gotten my second key from delivery last November.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:54 PM
jtsrenn
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Ha! I assume this is poking fun at BMW making heated seats a subscription? Man... how asinine if the car industry starts really going that way.
Yup
Old 07-16-2022, 03:43 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 359 Posts

Say what? Are you saying the 992 doesn't have fans behind the radiator/condenser like the 996/997/etc generation 911s do?

Old 07-16-2022, 10:48 AM
achilleas101
Racer

Originally Posted by mattchow
Did Porsche send the key direct to you or did your dealer have to set that up? I still haven’t gotten my second key from delivery last November.
i got an email from Porsche to call my dealer, that it was available. Well, it was available for the dealer to order it from Germany. Took a while after that to finally have it delivered to them, then i went in to get it programmed.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:10 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 772 Posts

Ok so ive seen a lot of posts about this. Is this something that's limited to the lower trim models? My GT4 always has the settings to whatever the car was at before it was shut off. If AC was on at half blast, that's what will happen when i start my car up again. Last few days because it's been warm, AC is off, temp on both sides set to low and air speed set to 2 bars. And its been like that for the past week.

Quick Reply: finally got 2nd key- yay! then AC stopped working for 5 min. Huh?