Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW CEO on 911 Wait Times

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
My comment was based on my experience November 2021. I was on a list for a GTS at one dealer, but the SA texted me and offered a GT3 winged allocation for $50k ADM. Previously, he told me there were over 30 on the list a month prior. I'm a first time buyer, zero history, and not a celebrity except to my kids. When I stopped in to chat the next day, they showed me the GTS list, and there were two people ahead of me. They said to give them a few days to try and contact them, as neither would answer their given phone numbers, and finally said it's mine if I want it.
Funny, I think the Ohio PCar market is a lot weaker than the larger cities. I could have been 5th on the GTS list (I think I know what dealer you are talking about). If you passed that GTS may be in my driveway! I was first on the C2S list and could have got a base v200 the day I walked in. Called around and found a configurable v200 c2s the same day about an hour away. That’s the car a went with,
Old 07-09-2022, 12:08 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
OK, today in the WSJ, a welcome article says chip supply has finally exceeded demand and chip prices are falling big time!
And the US $Dollar is finally almost reaching parity with the EU € with no end in sight for the soaring US $ and the dropping EU €.
It is hightime for Porsche to lower US prices and increase allocations to the USA!
Or Porsche is dumber than those huge stone faces on Easter Island!!
Lower prices...no way they will do that with the current demand for the cars. They may quietly shift some allocations towards the US, but it won't be drastic because they are in it for the long game and have to keep dealers and customers in other markets happy as well.

Semiconductor downturn is starting and it will unravel quickly, there is already an oversupply of DRAM chips, and GPU chips out there...all of these are on the newer processes so it is still not clear if this will extend to the older process chips that automakers largely use. There is a lot of evidence of multiple ordering by companies desperate for chips during the pandemic (kind of like the "lists" at Porsche dealers) which created an impression that the shortage was worse than it actually was...there will start to be lots of cancellations of chip orders soon.

Last edited by malba2366; 07-09-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:43 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Porsche aside, "normal" is never coming back. The automakers know they can produce less cars, raise prices, keep lots empty, keep dealers awash in ADM - with no downside. While they use the time to transition their production base to EVs. They are also pricing the middle/working class out of ever being able to afford a new car, in their lifetimes, keeping them permanently in the used market. The only way to break the cycle is a massive recession that drops auto sales, let's say 50%. Or to allow China to get into auto production in a big way, and flood the market with cheap cars.
China cars...lol !! You're not wrong of course, just the prospect of a Chinese sports car cracks me up. Stolen technology, of course.
The following users liked this post:
citrolene (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:19 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Of course, most of us here are old enough to have heard the same thing from our dads. It was Japan back in Dad's day, is all.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:25 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Of course, most of us here are old enough to have heard the same thing from our dads. It was Japan back in Dad's day, is all.
Absolutely true! What the Japanese Auto Industry did to the US was "worse than Pearl Harbor" the saying went at the time.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
China cars...lol !! You're not wrong of course, just the prospect of a Chinese sports car cracks me up. Stolen technology, of course.
Why does it matter if it is stolen or not?

If China starts manufacturing cars (either ICE, EV, or HEV), it's going to disrupt the supply chain. That's an inescapable fact, regardless of how China does it.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
Absolutely true! What the Japanese Auto Industry did to the US was "worse than Pearl Harbor" the saying went at the time.
The main difference being that Pearl Harbor didn't have it coming.

As for "stolen technology," every developing industrial power (including the US) has a history that includes blatant technology theft from other nations. It is what it is. As long as we keep moving forward, the thieves will have to settle for second place.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 07-09-2022 at 04:24 PM.
breny4104 (07-09-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 04:26 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

If you don't want a wait I listed my 22 c4s. Best of luck to all, know firsthand the wait stress after many months myself. Hang in there!
Old 07-09-2022, 04:58 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Funny, I think the Ohio PCar market is a lot weaker than the larger cities. I could have been 5th on the GTS list (I think I know what dealer you are talking about). If you passed that GTS may be in my driveway! I was first on the C2S list and could have got a base v200 the day I walked in. Called around and found a configurable v200 c2s the same day about an hour away. That’s the car a went with,
Dealer I’m talking about is Byers. I did pass on the GTS, as I accepted the allocation for a GTS from MAG a few days prior.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:46 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by 22992
I had a similar revelation, not due to Covid, but due to the improvements of the 992 c2s over previous generations (speed, track width, wide body, design interior and out) I always liked the 911, but always wanted it to be a little faster, or have a little more presence etc. and never pulled the trigger. The 992 nailed it. I’m sure others feel the same. There’s really no reason to lust after anything else with this one, it’s more than 99.9% of people can handle, even in base form and one of the best looking rides out there.
Until you experience the vaunted Turbo S !
Old 07-09-2022, 07:48 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why does it matter if it is stolen or not?

If China starts manufacturing cars (either ICE, EV, or HEV), it's going to disrupt the supply chain. That's an inescapable fact, regardless of how China does it.
Huh? china steals all kinds of technology, because they don't want to develop it themselves. Call it laziness, or simple theft. It occurs across many industries from china. They are an evil, untrustable entity.
My point is not about supply chain, that will be healing over the next 1-2 years, my point is that they will likely produce trash.
citrolene (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 09:20 PM
eadingleberry
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The C8 isn’t the kind of car that anyone will care about when the next Vette comes out. They’re disposable. People want 997s. C6s? Not so much.
This is funny considering that daily driver 997.1s were sub 30k all day on autotrader through 2020 and standard 997.2s struggled to get over 40. No chance on earth the established ~14 year 10k premium in resale was worth the extra 30k+ in 2006 dollars. Experience is a subjective matter.
abarthguy (07-18-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 11:54 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
I wouldn't expect wait times to ever be like they used to be. I'm sure they will eventually get a bit better, but Porsche likes the hype, the scarcity and no discounting. They can also raise prices more, and people will still wait in line to pay MSRP+.

And every car is sold before it is even built, any company would love that situation. Porsche will find a sweet spot between price and availability, and they will be more profitable than ever
Isn't that the capitalist dream?
Old 07-10-2022, 12:29 AM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by POSEV
Not really. Two reasons (1) technically all cars that Porsche makes are already sold. It's either a customer order or a dealer order. Dealers buy cars too and carry them on their books, not Porsche's. So nothing has really changed from that perspective. And (2) just like we're seeing in other car markets, 2020 & 2021 were special years because of stimulus and PPP money being so freely available. Those are going to be looked upon as isolated incidents - you could argue it's already happening - and markets will find some normalcy again. In other words, make sure you're not confusing a market aberration with "capitalism".
Technically the dealer has always been the one buying the car and always will be. The dealer buys it from manufacturer and then sells it to the customer. You are correct in saying nothing has really changed for Porsche the change is at the dealer end in that they make full profit or more per unit and have reduced their cost of selling cars. So that is where the windfall or capitalism comes in and you cannot hate them for that.
M3Inline6 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 12:48 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Porsche aside, "normal" is never coming back. The automakers know they can produce less cars, raise prices, keep lots empty, keep dealers awash in ADM - with no downside. While they use the time to transition their production base to EVs. They are also pricing the middle/working class out of ever being able to afford a new car, in their lifetimes, keeping them permanently in the used market. The only way to break the cycle is a massive recession that drops auto sales, let's say 50%. Or to allow China to get into auto production in a big way, and flood the market with cheap cars.
What popcorn box did you get your economic theory from?

Quick Reply: VW CEO on 911 Wait Times