992 Dealer Service Department Broke Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 01:53 AM
lllSaltylll
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 992 Dealer Service Department Broke Speakers

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post my experience with a recent dealer service appointment here in Washington to see if anyone had feedback or advice. Took a new 992 in for a diagnostic appointment trying to fix a vibration/buzzing noise coming from the passenger side door panel. Normally I'm not to concerned about rattles or odd noises in a sports car, but this was bad enough I wanted to have it addressed -- sounded like something was clearly broken inside the door. Turns out there was something broken, there was a loose screw floating around in the inside of the door panel that was the cause of the issue.

However (and here's where the problem starts) when the dealer was removing and reinstalling the door panel they managed to break not one but two speaker connectors within the door panel, leaving the speakers on that side inoperable. According to the dealer these connectors (not the speakers but the connectors themselves) are only made to order, have to come from Germany, and are 6-8 months out for delivery. Has anyone had any similar experiences or problems with their dealers? Does anyone know if the connectors for these speakers (base speakers not Bose) are really so unique that one of the other speaker systems connectors couldn't be used instead? Any suggestions other then just wait it out for replacement?

Naturally quite a disappointing result for a new car (first Porsche and first time at this dealer) so appreciate your thoughts and feedback in advance!
Old 06-29-2022, 03:57 AM
Tyrell's Prodigy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

Firstly **** happens. The techs are only human and everyone makes mistakes.

Annoying though it is (I'd be miffed too) I'd always expect a main dealer to use the correct OEM part every time not patch/hack/botch it for convenience. Add in the global supply issues and there's your wait.

I would however think about raising this with the dealer principal and telling them to take the same part off one of their demonstrators to make yours good. I'd play the pissed off buyer, not good enough blah blah blah line.

Worth digging your heals in and seeing where that leads.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:59 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Stuff happens and they likely not allowed to fix it w/o using the OEM parts. But it's just 2 wires. I have not looked but often these connectors are designed to clip onto something on the door panel so that they don't rattle around, whivu makes them unique.

Ask them (give them permission) to fix it temporarily, that they take it to any car audio shop to fix it temporarily or you can do it. It's simple. Just let them know you do.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:10 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Given the number of Bose speakers that the average Porsche dealer has replaced, I am surprised that they broke anything. There are techs that can probably replace a 992 Bose door speaker blindfolded.

That being said, stuff happens.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:39 AM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Relax $hit happens. It sucks but it could have been worse. I've got a brand new 2022 Macan GTS and the QC sucks. The car shipped with damage inside both doors. I've been waiting 6 plus months now for replacement. What makes it worse is the part is carbon fiber!
Old 06-29-2022, 12:50 PM
Still Learning
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be pretty damn annoyed. I removed my door panel to investigate a rattle and so long as some very simple instructions are followed, it is easy not to break anything.
I found one of the metal clips at the top had been bent - I suspect where a 'tech' had forced the panel back into place, and the red clip which secures the door release cable to the handle not fitted correctly.
The car has never been outside the Porsche dealer network...

I straightened the metal clip, correctly fitted the red clip, and carefully located the door panel and pushed it home into the guides.
First time I had ever done it - I'm no expert.
All rattling cured.

I have no trust at all in the so-called 'techs'.
The following users liked this post:
Hoodini (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:24 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Still Learning
I'd be pretty damn annoyed. I removed my door panel to investigate a rattle and so long as some very simple instructions are followed, it is easy not to break anything.
I found one of the metal clips at the top had been bent - I suspect where a 'tech' had forced the panel back into place, and the red clip which secures the door release cable to the handle not fitted correctly.
The car has never been outside the Porsche dealer network...

I straightened the metal clip, correctly fitted the red clip, and carefully located the door panel and pushed it home into the guides.
First time I had ever done it - I'm no expert.
All rattling cured.

I have no trust at all in the so-called 'techs'.

Sounds like you could start a side business repairing rattles for $250/door.
The following users liked this post:
Still Learning (06-30-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 03:12 PM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

the connection clips changed from 2020/21 models to the 2022 models. that being said, its still a two pin connection, while i understand porsche probably wont fix it without OEM parts, you can probably bridge the wiring yourself or get an audio shop to do it so you can have audio while you wait. the only ****ty part is if porsche will still fix their mess after you opt to band aid it.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:49 PM
lllSaltylll
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZ E
Relax $hit happens. It sucks but it could have been worse. I've got a brand new 2022 Macan GTS and the QC sucks. The car shipped with damage inside both doors. I've been waiting 6 plus months now for replacement. What makes it worse is the part is carbon fiber!
Sorry to hear that! What kind of damage was it? Did they remove the broken pieces in the interim or do you just live with it until replacement parts finally come in? That's really disappointing for a brand new vehicle.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:02 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Personally, I'd just fix it myself and not worry about it. I've installed dozens of audio systems in cars, nothing a wire and solder can't fix. Or, you can take to an audio shop and pay them to do it. Once repaired, I would not return to the dealer for that particular issue again.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:08 PM
lllSaltylll
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for their feedback, much appreciated!

Situation update: Spoke with the dealer this morning and they were willing/able to do a temp fix with another connector they said worked to get the speakers functioning in the interim and then will do the final fix when the OEM part eventually comes in. Haven't seen the car yet, but will be able to inspect this evening.

Best case scenario they're right and everything is back to normal and they can just swap out for the OEM part in a few months when it eventually arrives. Worst case scenario they created more rattles or audio problems by taking the door panel off and on a second time plus changing the connector. *Fingers crossed*
Old 06-29-2022, 04:10 PM
lllSaltylll
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drcollie
Personally, I'd just fix it myself and not worry about it. I've installed dozens of audio systems in cars, nothing a wire and solder can't fix. Or, you can take to an audio shop and pay them to do it. Once repaired, I would not return to the dealer for that particular issue again.
That's a good point, I'm wondering if the temp fix works well, why risk taking off the door panel again and having something else get broken.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by lllSaltylll
Thanks everyone for their feedback, much appreciated!

Situation update: Spoke with the dealer this morning and they were willing/able to do a temp fix with another connector they said worked to get the speakers functioning in the interim and then will do the final fix when the OEM part eventually comes in. Haven't seen the car yet, but will be able to inspect this evening.

Best case scenario they're right and everything is back to normal and they can just swap out for the OEM part in a few months when it eventually arrives. Worst case scenario they created more rattles or audio problems by taking the door panel off and on a second time plus changing the connector. *Fingers crossed*
Sounds like a good result all things considered.

Quick Reply: 992 Dealer Service Department Broke Speakers