Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 10:09 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

my 992 had a door lever rattle I fixed it with felt tape... my GT3 has none at least not yet only 600 miles carl
Old 06-11-2022, 09:44 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Panayos
I have had rattles in all my 911s.

My 992 had rattles from the moment I got it and only got worse over time.
I didn’t want to have the car in the dealership because I am not too confident they won’t make things worse and they will have my car for days or weeks.

So, I have been fixing all rattles on my own with some padding material.
So far I have fixed:
- Rattles around the interior handle of both doors
- Rattle on the steering column
- Rattle under the AC levers where there is a Sirius radio box that is metallic and was buzzing. I had to take apart the whole center console to do that.

Finally my car is great with no rattles!
Let’s hope it stays that way…

If you can locate them by pressing things while you can hear them, most are easy to fix so I would give that a try.
Can you post some pictures of your remedies and where you put the padding?
Old 06-11-2022, 10:56 AM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an extremely annoying rattle in the steering column of my 21’ C2S. Unfortunately, the dealer could not locate the source of the rattle. The only option they offered was to dismantle the dash. No thank you! I’m terribly disappointed as this is my first 911 and would expect the build quality to be impeccable given the brand and pricing.

The service advisor even said that he would be very annoyed with the rattle if it was his car.

I’m not happy at all, yet I’m not willing to have the dealer dismantle the dash to try and alleviate the rattle. So, for now I’ll drive with it. Looking to trade it in and move into a GTS, just waiting on the allocation.

Last edited by anupe; 06-11-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by anupe
I have an extremely annoying rattle in the steering column of my 21’ C2S. Unfortunately, the dealer could not locate the source of the rattle. The only option they offered was to dismantle the dash. No thank you! I’m terribly disappointed as this is my first 911 and would expect the build quality to be impeccable given the brand and pricing.

The service advisor even said that he would be very annoyed with the rattle if it was his car.

I’m not happy at all, yet I’m not willing to have the dealer dismantle the dash to try and alleviate the rattle. So, for now I’ll drive with it. Looking to trade it in and move into a GTS, just waiting on the allocation.
if you plan to trade it in anyway and the rattle is that annoying - nothing to loose to let Porsche try to fix it. Even if it’s just for the next owner.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:08 AM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
if you plan to trade it in anyway and the rattle is that annoying - nothing to loose to let Porsche try to fix it. Even if it’s just for the next owner.
I’ll leave that decision to the dealer at trade in.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

I’ll leave that decision to the dealer at trade in.
I don’t get it, So, you are accepting to drive around with that annoying rattle until you get your new car (months?) and get more agitated instead let them try to fix it now. If it does not work, you lost nothing. If it works you don’t have to listen to it for a few more months. What’s holding you back then?
Old 06-11-2022, 12:05 PM
anupe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I don’t get it, So, you are accepting to drive around with that annoying rattle until you get your new car (months?) and get more agitated instead let them try to fix it now. If it does not work, you lost nothing. If it works you don’t have to listen to it for a few more months. What’s holding you back then?
Each of us have our own factors in how we decide the path we want to go down. For me, I’ve decided to drive with it. While this may not be the path you would decide to go, it is the one I’ve chosen. I appreciate what you’ve offered for me to consider, yet I am ok with my decision.

What’s holding me back? Here are a few of the factors I find value in as I decide the path I will follow.

As you mentioned, let them “try” to fix it. Anything can happen during this try to fix it process, as noted by another forum member who allowed the dealer to try and fix their door rattle. That try to fix it process led to them braking off tabs in the door cards. Leaving the owner to sit and wait on replacement parts that are delayed due to supply chain issues. I’d rather not have my 911 sitting in shop for weeks while they try to fix things. It was already there for 2+ plus weeks for them to try and diagnosis the source of the rattle. I prefer to drive my 911 versus have it in the shop while the weather is nice.

As the service tech told me, it is a 100% certainty the dash would not be aligned back to as it was coming off the manufacturing line. Also, they could not guarantee that additional rattles or issues would not come as a result of the “try to fix” process. Even the service tech recommended that I drive with it as the potential fix versus risk running into additional issues down the road wasn’t worth it.

Lastly, the dealer can try to fix it once I trade it in to them. As I’m certain one test driving it will hear the rattle. At that point I don’t have to endure any wait to drive my 911 nor any risk of potentially fighting new gremlins due to the try to fix it process.

Hope this helps you to better understand why I’ve decide how I’ll move forward. Again, thanks for offering your thoughts for me and others to consider!
The following 3 users liked this post by anupe:
Noah Fect (09-03-2022), rouxeny (06-13-2022), SAlexander (06-13-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Each of us have our own factors in how we decide the path we want to go down. For me, I’ve decided to drive with it. While this may not be the path you would decide to go, it is the one I’ve chosen. I appreciate what you’ve offered for me to consider, yet I am ok with my decision.

What’s holding me back? Here are a few of the factors I find value in as I decide the path I will follow.

As you mentioned, let them “try” to fix it. Anything can happen during this try to fix it process, as noted by another forum member who allowed the dealer to try and fix their door rattle. That try to fix it process led to them braking off tabs in the door cards. Leaving the owner to sit and wait on replacement parts that are delayed due to supply chain issues. I’d rather not have my 911 sitting in shop for weeks while they try to fix things. It was already there for 2+ plus weeks for them to try and diagnosis the source of the rattle. I prefer to drive my 911 versus have it in the shop while the weather is nice.

As the service tech told me, it is a 100% certainty the dash would not be aligned back to as it was coming off the manufacturing line. Also, they could not guarantee that additional rattles or issues would not come as a result of the “try to fix” process. Even the service tech recommended that I drive with it as the potential fix versus risk running into additional issues down the road wasn’t worth it.

Lastly, the dealer can try to fix it once I trade it in to them. As I’m certain one test driving it will hear the rattle. At that point I don’t have to endure any wait to drive my 911 nor any risk of potentially fighting new gremlins due to the try to fix it process.

Hope this helps you to better understand why I’ve decide how I’ll move forward. Again, thanks for offering your thoughts for me and others to consider!
Alright, I see. Knowing the entire story sure puts a different light on things. Enjoy driving while you can.
Old 06-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Panayos
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Can you post some pictures of your remedies and where you put the padding?
I apologize in advance for the lengthy post. I hope this will help others and I already got a couple of questions on messages.

Regarding the door rattle, I have added padding to in the places shown in the picture below.
I have done all these on both doors.
The one pointed by the arrow is showing behind the handle, at the area where it touches the plastic that houses the window/mirror buttons.
I didn't disassemble anything to do that. Just pulled the plastics a bit to generate slight space to squeeze in some padding.

On the steering column, I just created a 1-2cm wide padding and squeezed it on the side of the steering column where it gets close to the dashboard assembly.
This will probably fall off if you move the steering wheel, but I almost never do that so I am good for now.

Now the center console rattle was the most annoying one and one I feel the most proud about fixing
A fellow Rennlister suggested he has an identical problem so it might not just be me.
The rattle would not happen when the car was cold. It would only start after 30 mins of driving (almost on the clock).
I thought it was the AC/Radio buttons (blue arrow below) but after a lot of investigation I realized it would happen when I banged the console at the place the red arrow shows below.

To fix that, I had to take this whole section apart. Here is the process:
See posts #12 and #14 in the thread below for photos and instructions:
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1281...e-removal.html
I just needed some trim tools and a T-25 torx screwdriver.
Mine was a manual so it was slightly different just because you have to also take out the gear lever.
For that I followed this Youtube video:
Just look at this portion where he removes the gear lever.
It's a bit scary because all this is very visible trim which would be annoying to get scratched but if you are gentle with the trim tool, it's all good.
After all that, I had to finally remove one last piece which is some trim on the side to access buzzing area.
This is the plastic around where the passenger's knee would be. It's what is pointed at by the Red arrow above.
This has one more T-25 screw on the inside of the center console and then you can pull it out by gently pulling it along it's edge, starting from the front.

Ok, now I could see a metallic electronic cage that said Sirius FM on it and it would stop buzzing if I pressed on it.
You still don't have great access so fixing was a bit painful. To fully access you would really need to take the whole middle section apart so decided to stop there.
I did all the work from the area around the passengers knee. I first tried with some insulation padding but it wasn't enough to stop the box from buzzing.
Eventually, I found some pieces of thin plastic that I had and really squeezed it in there to stop the box from buzzing.
I drove the car around without the console to check that it was all good and put back everything together.

Hope this helps someone here!
The following 2 users liked this post by Panayos:
Aaron Lin (06-11-2022), crazyrob (10-07-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 05:03 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Have a really ugly plastic against plastic type rattle that seems to ge coming from the steering column or center console somewhere. I have an appointment on monday to have it checked. Also hesitant to let them make it worse but i really hate the rattle 😐
Old 06-11-2022, 07:19 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TuvaD
I have a few persistent buzzes and rattle from the dash and door areas of my new 4 GTS.

I've given it about two weeks and 1,000 miles to settle down but no luck, still the same noises.

Any specific advice or should I just hand it over to a local Porsche service center to evaluate?

I worry about them dismantling the instrument binnacle and dash and creating more issues.

I noticed a fine rattle right away after I picked up the car, passenger door or center dash. I went to service department at local dealership and had the service manager drive with me to confirm. He then documented it in the system. I didn’t want the new car to be ripped apart like you thought. So I’m driving for now and ignore it with. At sone point I’ll go and have it fixed.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:46 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash. I noticed it was worse after filling up the car. It ended up being the gas tank and fixing a strap that secures it.
The following users liked this post:
crazyrob (10-07-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 12:05 AM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the dash. I noticed it was worse after filling up the car. It ended up being the gas tank and fixing a strap that secures it.

Thats the problem with rattle fix. It could be any of the 100s of places. Door trim, dash and in your example gas tank. It’s just hit and a miss. There has to be some scientific way to determine the source of rattle.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:32 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS2022
Thats the problem with rattle fix. It could be any of the 100s of places. Door trim, dash and in your example gas tank. It’s just hit and a miss. There has to be some scientific way to determine the source of rattle.
Yes! Build the car better to begin with. My Chevy Corvette never had any rattles.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Panayos
I apologize in advance for the lengthy post.
No apologies necessary - this is exactly what I was asking for! Very, very helpful - thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Panayos (06-13-2022)

Quick Reply: New car rattles