Sponsored by:

Question for those with Surround View

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 05:27 PM
luckycanine
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I programmed Surround View to the diamond button on the steering wheel so I can activate when I need it. However, it generally activates on its own in all parking scenarios and when approaching those parking blocks. Must have option IMO.
I also use the diamond button on the steering to kick on surround view. After that, I will sometimes tap the front of the car to switch to the front camera, it's instant and takes no effort.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:34 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

I did not have Surround on my first 992, I do have it on my 992 Targa - works really well for the front parking situation the OP mentions, also good when parking along side a curb (or going through a drive through with a curb on the drivers side) - clearly shows how close you are and your tires are to the curb. I am glad I opted for it on my recent build.

PS. The other thing I notice when pulling into a parking spot - it will bring up the parking assist, but also show the lines on how close you are to the curb thing - I think the sensors are low enough to detect how close your bumper is to the thing and give you the warning lines and beeps - as well as the camera view. Very helpful.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:43 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Absolutely get surround view.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:35 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 854 Likes on 394 Posts

I have surround view and will get it on my next 911 - however it is not the greatest resolution or the best at lacing pics together to obtain a view that looks realistic.

Surround view on my mercedes AMG appeared as though it was created by a camera perched above the car - and resolution was tremendous.

I have the diamond button on the dash programmed fro front camera view and the diamond button on the steering wheel programmed for homelink
Old 06-08-2022, 06:39 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by slwong23
I programmed Surround View to the diamond button on the steering wheel so I can activate when I need it. However, it generally activates on its own in all parking scenarios and when approaching those parking blocks. Must have option IMO.
Is this the surround view in the premium package or the 3D surround included with remote park assist?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
You must be right. Surround view instructions in the manual don't say anything about automatic braking. It's probably part of adaptive cruise; that's the only part of the manual that discusses automatic braking.
Yeah, that rings a bell (oh dear, bad pun!!).
Old 06-08-2022, 08:01 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Is this the surround view in the premium package or the 3D surround included with remote park assist?
Premium pak
Old 06-08-2022, 08:30 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

This is the one feature I regret not having on my car. Next time absolutely!
The following users liked this post:
AutobahnMac911 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 08:49 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

My surround view is knowing what's around the car before I move it.
ChickenParm 911 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 11:24 PM
ChickenParm 911

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Not a must have and imo the cameras are unsightly. A nanny everyone has grown needy for. The premium package makes it almost a guarantee you’ll find it in every car

i was born 30 years too late
Old 06-09-2022, 03:02 AM
Cokerrat
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I have it ordered on my GTS Targa as part of the premium package. On my BMW 5 series, it is total hax for backing into any parking stall, especially when there is a curb on one or more sides. Absolutely must have IMO for saving your wheels.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:58 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by null
Thanks for the feedback. Is it easy to turn the front camera on, manually, or does it always come on by itself, at low speeds or in specific scenarios (not sure what AI logic it would use for turning on / off by itself).

Agree re: backing up, though often I meet these blocks when parking spots are marked on the bias / diagonal.

Also, to be more honest, I'm pretty lazy and sometimes backing up takes up too much intellectual horsepower.
I used to have the surround view cameras come on with the diamond button but I now use that button for homelink. Generally the surroudn view camera comes on when needed, i.e. when it senses I'm pulling up to a potential obstacle. However, if it doesn't, putting the car into reverse immeidately turns it on.

Another thing I like about the surround view camera is you can put it in fisheye lens mode and it actually let's you see around obstacles to your left and right. Like if there's a wall or another car on the side of your car obstructing your view, and you're slowly creeping forward, the wide angle view actually gives you a better view around that wall than you can see from the driver's seat.
Yojeffo (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 09:48 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

I generally agree that we all rely way too much on cameras and nannies. When my kids learned to drive, I taped a sheet of paper over the screen. My thought was that these should all be "level two" assistants that back up good driving skills - everyone one has that lapse moment once in a while - but do not replace those skills. The challenge today is that the car makers know they have all these aids and they no longer care about things like visibility and lines of sight. "Back in the day" (and I am not writing this from a rocking chair - yet), almost every car review would comment of how well the driver ca see out of the car. I can't say I have seen that comment on in the last 5-10 years. I honestly cannot see much behind me in my Targa when backing uphill out of my driveway. I have not choice but to use the cameras as primary tools. The same is true for most of my cars - they are just no longer designed for you to be able to see out of the windows without also relying on some "aids".

With that old man rant behind me, I will say that I find the 360 surround view to be fantastic and absolutely a need to have for me. Will I eventually learn the dimensions of this car? Sure, but I would rather be using the cameras to be educating me instead of the car's body parts.

Last edited by Drew46; 06-09-2022 at 09:56 AM.
excelsiorz (07-06-2024)
Old 06-09-2022, 09:52 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 124 Posts

Surround view is definitely a nice feature. But why not just back into spaces?
Old 06-09-2022, 10:06 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by null
I am apparently genetically predisposed to driving forward and eating parking blocks every chance I get. The best is when the rebar sticks up a little, and wants to rip my bumper off when I back out of the space.

While acoustic parking / proximity sensors might help with "taller" obstacles, I assume the 992 has no stock warnings when it comes to low objects like parking blocks.

If that's correct, does anyone have experience with the Surround View option, and if so, could it be used as a practical tool to help one avoid driving too far forward onto parking blocks? I understand that you can get to a forward camera view, but not sure if it's buried too deep inside of nested PCM menus to make it a convenient driver aid.

How easy is it to activate the forward camera view, and are there any notable constraints or is there high latency when getting an image to appear on screen?

If anyone can confirm, I'd be grateful.

TIA...
The surround view is programmed to the button on my steering wheel. From there, it’s just another tap on the PCM screen to select forward view.

If you require a front license plate for your car, make sure it isn’t obstructing the camera’s lower half view.

Quick Reply: Question for those with Surround View