Sponsored by:

992 7 speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 11:15 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Thanks guys. So, just to confirm, you are able to shift straight into 3rd or 4th in a straight line from neutral, without jogging left or right? Odd that a Jalopnik reviewer would get this basic routine wrong! Thanks.
yes.
The following users liked this post:
rob929 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 11:17 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
yes.
Agreed,
rob929 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 11:49 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, @aggie57 , @brianja
brianja (06-02-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 12:35 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,775 Likes on 5,140 Posts

The 7MT in the 992 (and 911) is basically a 6MT with an overdrive 7th gear (located at a sort of reverse dog-leg configuration).

Doesn't take a Ph.D. to operate, or the dexterity of a gymnast to shift.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 06-03-2022 at 12:52 AM.
M3Inline6 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 01:41 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Another thing to bear in mind is where this question is being asked. In general, any comparison between the 911 and 718 is going to favor the 911 in the 992 forum and it's going to favor the 718 in that forum. But that's a good thing! Both are great for different reasons and the owners love them equally.
rouxeny (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 09:02 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

@Denny Swift : Thanks for the objective feedback. Many of your observations of the Shifter won't get better with miles, I'm afraid (such as long throws). And, sorry, bit off topic: how is the sound compared to the Spyder? Would you mind posting a comparison of Spyder and GTS? Such a post would be useful here as well as in 982 forum. Thanks. The GTS is the best sounding turbo engine-d (Porsche's) model thus far. Would love to know how it stakes up against the Spyder.

Old 06-09-2024, 02:01 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderphile
Thanks, @aggie57 , @brianja
that blue Spyder looks familar
Old 06-09-2024, 05:15 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The 7MT in the 992 (and 911) is basically a 6MT with an overdrive 7th gear (located at a sort of reverse dog-leg configuration).

Also, 7th gear is blocked out when shifting 4-5 so pretty tough to mis-shift.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:56 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderphile
@Denny Swift : Thanks for the objective feedback. Many of your observations of the Shifter won't get better with miles, I'm afraid (such as long throws). And, sorry, bit off topic: how is the sound compared to the Spyder? Would you mind posting a comparison of Spyder and GTS? Such a post would be useful here as well as in 982 forum. Thanks. The GTS is the best sounding turbo engine-d (Porsche's) model thus far. Would love to know how it stakes up against the Spyder.
I don’t think comparing the sound of a convertible to a coupe will tell you much. The Spyder is a loud car. The sound is really a raucous cacophony with the top up. The top is just a single layer without insulation. With the top down, wind noise takes over, and it’s a more pleasant experience. I honestly can’t really hear the engine of my Spyder over the other noises (top up or down) unless it’s turning at 4000 or more rpms. Maybe a better description is that below 4000 rpms or so, the engine sound is just one of the many sounds of this car. I’m an outlier because the last thing I’d want to do to my Spyder is make it louder. Pressing the PSE button (which I have only done a couple of times to experiment), just increases the overall cacophony.

A lot of annoying tire/road noise permeates the cabin of my GTS, and that drowns out a lot of the engine sound. I insulated the rear wheel arches and that reduced Road noise significantly (by ear analysis only). Now the engine note comes through much better. The engine sound of the GTS is nice. There is no drone, just a nice , deep, growl. I can actually listen to music or a podcast at 90 mph in the GTS. The sound system in the Spyder is pretty useless at anything above about 60. The Spyder is just noisy. It doesn’t really have a sound. There is just noise. The GTS definitely has a sound. Most of it is from the engine, (especially now that I insulated the rear arches), and that’s nice. The engine volume is nearly ideal in normal mode. The PSE button just makes it too loud and sounds (to me) silly and juvenile. I really detest loud exhaust systems.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:16 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Not really. The difference between the 6 speed in my Spyder (perfection) and the 7 speed in my GTS is pretty dramatic. And the difference isn’t just because of the number of gears. When playing on my favorite roads where I never even use 6th let alone 7th, the 7 speed box just pails in comparison. In addition to the throws being long, it lacks precision, it doesn’t click into and out of gear, and is just sloppy in comparison to the 6 speed. The 7 speed is still a pretty good gearbox. It’s far superior to anything I’ve ever experienced from BMW (I’ve owned 3). But next to the 6 speed, it just occupies a lower rung. And no matter how good a gear box may be, it has to pair with the clutch and gas pedal. The clutch take up and throttle response of my Spyder are perfect too, and again all are better and more precise than in the GTS. Heel toeing in the Spyder is so easy and intuitive. It’s way more difficult in the GTS mainly due to a split second of throttle hang that doesn’t exist in the Spyder.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:22 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Not really. The difference between the 6 speed in my Spyder (perfection) and the 7 speed in my GTS is pretty dramatic. And the difference isn’t just because of the number of gears. When playing on my favorite roads where I never even use 6th let alone 7th, the 7 speed box just pails in comparison. In addition to the throws being long, it lacks precision, it doesn’t click into and out of gear, and is just sloppy in comparison to the 6 speed. The 7 speed is still a pretty good gearbox. It’s far superior to anything I’ve ever experienced from BMW (I’ve owned 3). But next to the 6 speed, it just occupies a lower rung. And no matter how good a gear box may be, it has to pair with the clutch and gas pedal. The clutch take up and throttle response of my Spyder are perfect too, and again all are better and more precise than in the GTS. Heel toeing in the Spyder is so easy and intuitive. It’s way more difficult in the GTS mainly due to a split second of throttle hang that doesn’t exist in the Spyder.
I have owned both transmissions. I was pleased with my 7 MT transmission and factory shifter. But, a Numeric shifter, properly adjusted, greatly improved its “click into and out of gear”. Went from plastic bushings to CNC aluminum frame with ball bearings which greatly improved the shifting (which was not that bad to begin with).

Quick Reply: 992 7 speed