Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received $500 voucher in lieu of electric steering column

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 05:01 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I completely agree with the above--as I said in my earlier post, my dealer has made it clear that any retrofit will be expensive and much more than $500. Outrageous.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:16 PM
buckeyedan
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts

It’s still a better deal than paying ridiculous amounts over sticker price
Old 05-31-2022, 08:48 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I paid MSRP, but still. It would have been nice to receive the voucher before I paid for the car, as it could be applied to it. But now I get to spend $500 on a $10 option. Might see if I can use it on a set of tires next year.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:57 PM
buckeyedan
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 78 Posts

I paid msrp as well. Using them on tires is a good idea
Old 05-31-2022, 09:17 PM
Tun16
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by woobiee
I think it's looking more and more like a mass email to customers who may potentially be affected by this issue to cover their bases while whatever electric steering wheel component trickles into the factory gets installed on cars that calls for it. I think it's similar to the tire lottery; is it Pirelli, Michelins, or Good Year? Luck of the draw as shrimp money indicates.

Mines up to be built next week. Hoping for the electric column and Michelins
Mine is up to be build next week also, I guess we won't know until we take delivery. Even if we get "the letter". I find it so interesting that a company that builds such amazing cars can be so inept when it comes to commutating with their customers. TYD is a great idea but it sounds like it works properly about half of the time.
The following users liked this post:
RidgeRunner (06-01-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 09:50 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Tun16
Mine is up to be build next week also, I guess we won't know until we take delivery. Even if we get "the letter". I find it so interesting that a company that builds such amazing cars can be so inept when it comes to commutating with their customers. TYD is a great idea but it sounds like it works properly about half of the time.
Find another car company that does it better. In fact, find another one that does it as good as Porsche.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:28 PM
Greenwillie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Their execution is poor at best. Personally I’d rather pay 1500 more and have the power column. To each their own. No retrofit for those who want this feature is bush league. Lumping those with 190 builds with those at 130 is the easy way out . Not sure what they’re doing with the turbo crowd but those with higher MSRP’S should take priority at a minimum. How would you feel if it was launch control, power windows or no key FOB? Is this a deal killer, no. Bush league..yes.
The following 3 users liked this post by Greenwillie:
Drew46 (06-01-2022), PC2020 (06-01-2022), readydiverone (05-31-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 11:35 AM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Just heard back from my SA after he talked to Porsche NA about my GTS order.
It seems all remaining 2022 model-year 911s will not be getting electric steering column adjustment, aerokit or PDCC. Other models like Macan also not getting electric steering column adjustment. They are out of chips.

As all three were things I really wanted on my build I have backed out of my allocation and the dealer is already talking to the next person in line before GTS build is locked next week.

I will wait for 2023 model being released where things might get better (probably end-of-year allocation with delivery Q1/Q2 next year).
Old 06-01-2022, 11:43 AM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Just heard back from my SA after he talked to Porsche NA about my GTS order.
It seems all remaining 2022 model-year 911s will not be getting electric steering column adjustment, aerokit or PDCC. Other models like Macan also not getting electric steering column adjustment. They are out of chips.

As all three were things I really wanted on my build I have backed out of my allocation and the dealer is already talking to the next person in line before GTS build is locked next week.

I will wait for 2023 model being released where things might get better (probably end-of-year allocation with delivery Q1/Q2 next year).
Did your build already have those options accepted and was V200 status? Or were you trying to submit a build and it was kicking it back? I’m curious because my build currently has those options and is awaiting the freeze date. I sure hope they don’t pull out availability on an order they have already accepted.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:44 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Curious to know what version of 992 folks have without the electric adjustable column. My Jan GTS Coupe build (Mar delivery) has it along with 2 keys and a printed owner’s manual.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:08 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,061 Likes on 2,029 Posts

My ‘22 GTS coupe was a 3/18/22 build. I did receive two key fobs though.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:17 PM
pelucidor
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TN_3
Did your build already have those options accepted and was V200 status? Or were you trying to submit a build and it was kicking it back? I’m curious because my build currently has those options and is awaiting the freeze date. I sure hope they don’t pull out availability on an order they have already accepted.
Dealer had a general allocation in V200 status on 6th May. We submitted my Lava Orange build on 17th May with Aerokit in Gloss Black, PDCC and $40k of other options so allocation went back to V100 status for review.
On 20th May I was notified I could not get Aerokit in Gloss Black, so I changed my order to Exterior Package in Gloss Black (planned to buy the aerokit wing later) and I believe car was at V200 last week (but I did not ask for print out of status as I usually do).
Then yesterday I heard that PDCC and electric steering column adjustment were no longer available for any remaining 2022 cars at which point I cancelled - currently allocation is waiting for build spec from next buyer before it locks next week.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:31 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 89 Posts

Hi again folks - I've been blessed with many years of employment in the medical technology industry. A big part of what we do is design, manufacture, and service diagnostic instrumentation and associated reagents. Sourcing integrated circuits (chips) needed to produce our instruments remains an ongoing challenge. Buyers are constantly scrambling to find chips. Some chips are more abundant in distribution than others. Sometimes a batch is purchased then the order falls through. Our instrument production schedule is routinely in a state of flux. Auto manufacturers are no different. The fact that Porsche has made some hard decisions around what subsystems to temporarily discontinue due to ongoing shortages of selected chips is a good thing. Would you rather production be shut down for periods of time? VW should have similar "buying power" as other large auto makers thus I'd be surprised if others aren't doing the same thing.

Anyway, you can say bad things about Porsche if it makes you feel better, but as someone living in this mess, I'm sure they're performing daily miracles to keep 911's in production.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dudewithout992:
doug_999 (06-02-2022), M3Inline6 (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 01:08 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudewith992
Hi again folks - I've been blessed with many years of employment in the medical technology industry. A big part of what we do is design, manufacture, and service diagnostic instrumentation and associated reagents. Sourcing integrated circuits (chips) needed to produce our instruments remains an ongoing challenge. Buyers are constantly scrambling to find chips. Some chips are more abundant in distribution than others. Sometimes a batch is purchased then the order falls through. Our instrument production schedule is routinely in a state of flux. Auto manufacturers are no different. The fact that Porsche has made some hard decisions around what subsystems to temporarily discontinue due to ongoing shortages of selected chips is a good thing. Would you rather production be shut down for periods of time? VW should have similar "buying power" as other large auto makers thus I'd be surprised if others aren't doing the same thing.

Anyway, you can say bad things about Porsche if it makes you feel better, but as someone living in this mess, I'm sure they're performing daily miracles to keep 911's in production.
The lack of forewarning seems to be the point of contention. Folks are waiting a year plus in some cases and not finding out until they are in the delivery status. Porsche’s communication with dealerships is the problem with these customers’ surprises as the dealerships themselves are left unknowing prior to shipment and in many cases receipt.

Also, does anyone think as a stand-alone option the electronic column would be just $500?

Communication is key and in this regard, Porsche has done a poor job even considering the issues you point out across all chip demand devices.
The following 2 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
Greenwillie (06-01-2022), RidgeRunner (06-01-2022)
Old 06-01-2022, 01:54 PM
DodoBird
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Communication is key and in this regard, Porsche has done a poor job even considering the issues you point out across all chip demand devices.
Totally agree...I think this gets to the crux of what most of the complaints in this and many other threads are about.

Maybe we can take this advice to heart! There's a tremendous amount of speculation, rumor, and sheer BS that gets bandied about as "fact" or the truth in this forum.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (06-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Received $500 voucher in lieu of electric steering column