Sponsored by:

Targa Vibration / Rattle Noise At Around 1800rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 08:27 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Targa Vibration / Rattle Noise At Around 1800rpm

All - I had the amazing pleasure of picking up my Targa GTS at PECATL last week. What an amazing experience, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The team there do an amazing job but that’s for another thread which I’ll post soon.

The car is amazing - it turned out great and drives amazing except for one minor thing: There is a very loud vibration (that almost sounds like it’s coming from the glass top / overall lid of the back whenever the car is revving at around 1800rpm for more than a couple of seconds (like when stuck in traffic for example).

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so if they sorted out a fix. I know a car won’t be completely void of rattles or vibrations but this just doesn’t seem normal to me and based on other threads praising the latest Targas for how quiet they are in this aspect it feels like I may have a minor issue.

I’ve read about the bar behind the back seat vibrating but checked that and it seems fine.

I also last night read on another (UK) forum that sometimes an exhaust might be a little loose and that could be the culprit (in particular around the same rpms I mentioned). Then I read things about waterpump issues etc so obviously went down quite a rabbit hole.

Any thoughts / suggestions / own experience here would be greatly appreciated - I would rather hear advice first before I send a service team on the hunt and they potentially make things worse…

Thanks!

Last edited by av12345; 05-16-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:30 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,690 Likes on 754 Posts

Well my 2022 targa is pretty quite no rattles or the like that you describe.... You will need to deduce if it is the targa itself (my 991 had a targa rattle at certain frequency) they had to adjust the latching mechanism.

When it does it at 1800 rpm, push up on the targa roof just above where it latches in front. See if the rattle is subdued, or elimiated.

If not the top, could be exhaust, could be the rear seat belt rattling against the side?, could be the heat shield? See if you can isolate more specifically where it is coming from.

Sometimes getting your SA to ride along with you is the way to go as well.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:22 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
All - I had the amazing pleasure of picking up my Targa GTS at PECATL last week. What an amazing experience, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The team there do an amazing job but that’s for another thread which I’ll post soon.

The car is amazing - it turned out great and drives amazing except for one minor thing: There is a very loud vibration (that almost sounds like it’s coming from the glass top / overall lid of the back whenever the car is revving at around 1800rpm for more than a couple of seconds (like when stuck in traffic for example).

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so if they sorted out a fix. I know a car won’t be completely void of rattles or vibrations but this just doesn’t seem normal to me and based on other threads praising the latest Targas for how quiet they are in this aspect it feels like I may have a minor issue.

I’ve read about the bar behind the back seat vibrating but checked that and it seems fine.

I also last night read on another (UK) forum that sometimes an exhaust might be a little loose and that could be the culprit (in particular around the same rpms I mentioned). Then I read things about waterpump issues etc so obviously went down quite a rabbit hole.

Any thoughts / suggestions / own experience here would be greatly appreciated - I would rather hear advice first before I send a service team on the hunt and they potentially make things worse…

Thanks!
I too have a little rattle. Me thinks it's from the bar in the back but have not isolated it. If I am in normal mode the low resonance vibration at low RPM's seems to activate it. So far, i just leave it in Sport Mode and problem solved. Will have dealer check it out soon, but otherwise, pretty squeak- rattle free car. 2021 Targa 4s.

I think if you have a passenger in the car to put pressure on different spots it will be easy to isolate.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:43 PM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks again both! Will give all of this a try - car is going in soon as well but am hoping to narrow it down before I get to the dealer so they don’t have to go on their own hunt…
Old 05-27-2022, 05:57 PM
Spotty-Dog
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I too have the rattling noise (mine is about 1500 RPM). When I queried the dealer, I was told this was a "characteristic of Porsche". Go figure.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:12 PM
GTS524
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 62 Posts

my 2022 Targa GTS has no squeaks or rattles of any kind and have driven on some pretty uneven country back roads.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:11 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 449 Posts

My 4S is coupe like quiet, but I learned with my 991.2 Targa GTS that you really need to ensure the seals are kept lubricated. I would start there and see if that helps. If the squeaks or rattles continue then maybe something isn’t screwed down right or slightly misaligned.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:29 AM
Nickt4gts
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, I know it’s a year later, but did any of you got this sorted? I got a new T4GTS a few months ago and got the same vibration.

Nicholas
Old 07-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS524
my 2022 Targa GTS has no squeaks or rattles of any kind and have driven on some pretty uneven country back roads.
Same here over cobblestones every day.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (07-09-2023)
Old 06-20-2024, 02:54 PM
LostOnEarth
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread - any updates on what was the cause of the rattle?
I have exactly the same thing on my previously owned Targa, bought a month ago, so curious if it is something I can solve without calling the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:21 PM
PSPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 428 Likes on 256 Posts

I don’t have a Targa, but I noticed there is a vibration from the engine in my new C4S at around 1500 RPM. This is a PDK, so it is usually in a higher gear at this point.

The turbo boost pressure is at 0 PSI. As a result, this is effectively an underpowered naturally aspirated engine that is almost lugging, being in a higher gear. (In a manual, I would have normally shifted down to a lower gear to avoid the vibration).

Your car may be doing the same thing, except the concave rear glass is reflecting the engine vibrations into your cabin, making you think the noise is coming the Targa glass.

Take a look at your boost pressure when this happens. What gear is your car in? If your boost pressure is around zero, and you are in a higher gear, it could just be normal engine vibrations. If you have a PDK, see if running in Sport or Sport Plus helps?

Also, remember that different people have different sensitivity to sounds and frequencies. Some of the folks here they say they don’t hear anything may simply not be attuned to the same frequencies that your ears pick up.

Last edited by PSPorsche; 06-20-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:06 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 935 Likes on 522 Posts

Its the sport chrono engine mount issue, see the lengthy thread about it.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:16 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by LostOnEarth
Sorry to revive an old thread - any updates on what was the cause of the rattle?
I have exactly the same thing on my previously owned Targa, bought a month ago, so curious if it is something I can solve without calling the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Please see this thread. It worked for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1397...ing-noise.html

Quick Reply: Targa Vibration / Rattle Noise At Around 1800rpm