Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
What is a relaxing afternoon for you may not be for another. Sounds awful to me, personally. Plus I’m not good at general DIY. But I’m sure I could come up with several personal hobbies that would make others pull their hair out as well, so to each their own.

So, it’s definitely worth it to me to pay someone else to do it; to save myself the time and frustration. Even if I thought I could do a good job (which I don’t), I’d still pay someone else to do it.

I paid $1500 to do my Taycan last year. I’ll be paying to do my 992 as well.
Fair enough, this makes perfect sense. I totally get it if it’s not something you enjoy. Free time is valuable so spend it doing what makes you smile.
The following users liked this post:
jhenson29 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 12:28 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

The technology for Ceramic coatings has improved greatly and there are many great consumer grade applications that are easy to apply and far less expensive. The most important aspect of this is the prep and any needed paint correction prior to application.
$2400 seems high in todays market for professional grade but others may have different opinions here.
eclou (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:55 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Vista6019
The technology for Ceramic coatings has improved greatly and there are many great consumer grade applications that are easy to apply and far less expensive. The most important aspect of this is the prep and any needed paint correction prior to application.
$2400 seems high in todays market for professional grade but others may have different opinions here.
Modesta is very expensive and if you want to play you have to pay.

The problem with Modesta is it is very difficult to remove and requires and expert to do so. I have tried several Ceramic coatings over the years and the best bang for the buck is Gtech Serum light foll0wed by a coat of the Gtech EXO. It has a 7 year life span and if you are garage keeping your car these coatings will last longer than what the Mfg is quoting. Plus, they can remove this with a light buffing and re-apply at a later date. You will save yourself $1000
Old 05-16-2022, 04:23 PM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by deltahoo
$2,400 vs. $75(or less), gee, that's a tough one and maybe get a little excercise in the process.
Consider the fact one will need $3,500 to $4,000 or more in gross pre tax income to pay this $2,400 tab for the "professional" ceramic job.
Show me how I can save myself 4 grand in an afternoon while I listen to some great music and throw down an iced up six pack of Modello and I'll do it every weekend. Absolute no brainer.

I'd pay 4 grand to not waste an afternoon and still have a great looking car, but that is just me
The following 2 users liked this post by othertbone:
doug_999 (05-17-2022), jhenson29 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:02 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

$2,400 vs. $75(or less), gee, that's a tough one and maybe get a little excercise in the process.
Consider the fact one will need $3,500 to $4,000 or more in gross pre tax income to pay this $2,400 tab for the "professional" ceramic job.
Show me how I can save myself 4 grand in an afternoon while I listen to some great music and throw down an iced up six pack of Modello and I'll do it every weekend. Absolute no brainer.
I’m not sure most people are paying $2400. I didn’t. I only paid $1500.

And I’m not sure why you would compare to pre-tax income other than to further inflate the cost.

At the end of the day, I either have the $1500 or my car ceramic coated. AFAIK, that $1500 doesn’t magically inflate to its pre-tax value because I forego having someone else ceramic coat my car. But to be fair, I didn’t try.

…also silly to extrapolate a one time expense out to every weekend.
doug_999 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:12 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Most of us would not consider saving 4 thousand dollars in an afternoon a waste of time. You must have an exceptionally high income and if that is true then good for you Sir. My time is obviously no where near as valueable as some others here.
Agreed or either an exceptionally wide stomach which prevents him from even trying..lol…But no sane person would pay 3-4K pretax of course for ceramic coating even with prep, this is a $800-$1,200 job MAX even considering the 911 is such a small car. Just because the 911 costs a lot of money doesn’t mean you should allow people to scam you and take advantage of you period! Obviously one is smart enough to make this kind of money to be able to afford a new Porsche and I would say 99% of people would not pay this ridiculous price what a joke! But then again some people do have more money then brains but whatever..lol
Old 05-16-2022, 09:24 PM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by frunk
agree on all counts .

My main takeaway is 2400 for a ceramic coat is ridiculous ! Lol
everyone has a different standard for what is worth their time.

I used to min max my travel to get the most points to get hotel and airlines status to get free upgrade or free tickets and get the right credit cards.

now I just buy business class tickets for my entire family wherever we travel and always stay at a suite at four seasons or equivalent. I never worried about giving airlines even my membership number. When you pay for the best of everything you don’t need to worry about status; they will treat you well.

I imagine once in my life I would enjoy spending an afternoon watching YouTube and learning how to ceramic coat, but after turning 40 my time is too scarce between spending time with friends and kid and church.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:26 PM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
I'd pay 4 grand to not waste an afternoon and still have a great looking car, but that is just me
I got a quote less than 3k for PPF and ceramic. Who is quoting u 4k for ceramic…? If it’s 4k I won’t do it myself. I don’t do it at all. Just pay for a detailed car wash every month. That’s what I would do. I don’t wash my car myself.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 PM
frunk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by undersky2
I got a quote less than 3k for PPF and ceramic. Who is quoting u 4k for ceramic…? If it’s 4k I won’t do it myself. I don’t do it at all. Just pay for a detailed car wash every month. That’s what I would do. I don’t wash my car myself.
i was never quoted 4K for some reason we started comparing things to pre tax dollars, but I’m not sure why
doug_999 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 AM
frunk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably because it is the true cost to the individual who is paying for this to be done.
Some of the responses and excuses for not doing a simple task like this with any one of the great products available to any of us are hillarious. We are not all swimming in money hanging out in suites at the Four Seasons after our first class only transportation. Always good to hear from the elite class who never gets their hands dirty.
There are many of us who take pride and enjoy a high degree of satisfaction from doing things like this ourselves on our own terms without being rear ended rather than spending the day pissing their time away riding around in a golf cart chasing a little ball and getting half gooned up during or afterwards. My friends and I are in our 60s now and some of them have morphed into unrecognizable, Humpty Dumpty looking balloons after years of inactivity and paying others to do their dirty work.
lol point taken

I contacted local reputable shop and they wanted 900 for it so this was helpful to know the FMV of the job.

thanks all for input

Old 05-17-2022, 10:10 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Didn't mean to come off harshly, just making the point that the vast majority us have a few spare hours at some point to do this if physically able.

You do come across harshly, in all your posts even on other treads I've seen, please tone it down and try to be more friendly. You will have a much better experience on this forum
Old 05-17-2022, 11:55 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 222 Posts

I just agreed to spend ~$1,700 on a 4 layer treatment in the New England area (could have done a lesser option for under $1,500).
why?
My garage is not super clean and its pollen season. I have none of the materials and equipment. When I was 23 I would have tackled it myself and would have been sure to screw it up. I will gladly change pads and rotors, would never let a dealer change my oil etc. But i suck at these finicky detailing things. And I don't have a full day of time ever.
If i look at potential savings against a once a year professional detailing I am happy to spend the extra money to have it done perfectly and gain a day or two to drive the car.

Just weighing in with another point of view...
The following 2 users liked this post by Orca911:
DodoBird (05-17-2022), kgs365 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 01:13 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Probably because it is the true cost to the individual who is paying for this to be done.
I'm betting that's not how most people look at their spending... Did you also buy a $250k 911, or was it $150k like the sticker says?
The following 3 users liked this post by zachr:
doug_999 (05-17-2022), jhenson29 (05-17-2022), othertbone (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:25 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Simply a different perspective, one that I have come to adopt after years of having CPA and Financial Advisor friends who think in those terms. No big deal, just another way of looking at it. In other words some of us would need to "earn" $4,000 or more to pay that $2,400 Ceramic job tab. Do keep in mind that all of your spendable income discretionary or otherwise is whittled down from your gross.
So, if I have $2400 in the bank, I should actually think of that as $4000 then…….right?🙄
Old 05-17-2022, 03:37 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
So, if I have $2400 in the bank, I should actually think of that as $4000 then…….right?🙄
This revelation is going to do wonders for my net worth chart in Mint!
jhenson29 (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating