too much soap not enough soap etc
The following users liked this post:
cycw08 (03-31-2024)
Old 05-15-2022, 09:43 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by frunk
What’s a reasonable price for ceramic coating by the dealer? Was quoted 2400 + tax
Thats about what I paid for Modesta at Chicago Autopros.

Of course that’s everything (including removing the wheels and doing them) and Modesta has special curing equipment - and the work was done by one of the better known installers in the States.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-15-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:39 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

Serious question: why do you guys pay thousands for professional ceramic coating when you can DIY for 75 bucks and have a relaxing afternoon?

I buy a bottle of CQ.UK 3.0, wait for a rainy day, put some music on in the garage, open a cold one and do it myself.

Would love to hear the reasoning to not diy?

Old 05-15-2022, 10:49 AM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

I am doing it myself, I've got a couple polishers I've purchased and used on other cars. The machines are not a one time use so most of us have other vehicles and can be used again and again.
It does not seem like a difficult process. My 992 is new and the paint is ok. Will probably spend 3 hours correcting it. Will take a couple hours at the most to apply ceramic. For me, I will be out $200 dollars. I can post photos when done. I enjoy playing around in the garage. The California weather now is perfect, so it will be comfortable to do.
The main reasons for doing it myself:
1. Hassle finding a shop to do it, then having to go and drop it off and pick it up
2. Seen a few results from local shops and as they look great, I see flaws
3. Great opportunity to learn and do something new
4. Save a few bucks
The following 2 users liked this post by norcalccd:
mksz51 (05-15-2022), Rxpert (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Thats about what I paid for Modesta at Chicago Autopros.

Of course that’s everything (including removing the wheels and doing them) and Modesta has special curing equipment - and the work was done by one of the better known installers in the States.
You could of cut that price in half and went with Gtech serum light and a coat of EXO
Old 05-15-2022, 12:12 PM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
Serious question: why do you guys pay thousands for professional ceramic coating when you can DIY for 75 bucks and have a relaxing afternoon?

I buy a bottle of CQ.UK 3.0, wait for a rainy day, put some music on in the garage, open a cold one and do it myself.

answer is very simple. Even if you learn it study it watch 20 videos, you are never going to be as good at is as someone who does this for a living. I don’t want to make a mistake. “Oh it’s not possible to mess up?” Is that true, I doubt it. There are probably many ways to mess up that I don’t even know about.
kgs365 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 12:17 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

100% agree - did mine myself. It seems to me most Porsche owners are NOT DIY types of people - whether it be for mechanical or cosmetic needs. SO much of this can be done yourself - you know it's done right, you save money, and you get that sense of satisfaction / accomplishment that paying someone else will never provide you. Recently changed the PDK fluid on my Macan with 40,000 miles. DId it myself. $270 for filter and fluids shipped from Suncoast - dealer wanted around $800 to do it. Took me maybe 2 hours from start to finish. I think many people fall prey to the dealer speak of "you know how much a new PDK transmission costs? Are you willing to risk that by doing the service yourself?". That's just fear mongering for the uninformed.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:17 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

My car already has the front clip and hips covered in PPF that will has an infused coating meaning about half the car needs ceramic.

go to local place and they quote me $2,200. I start to chuckle and ask, what would it be if you had to do the full car - $2,200. My car is silver and the guy reviewed it and said it needed very little paint work, I asked what if the car was dark and needed more work - $2,200. At this pointed I started laughing and asked why is everything the same - oh because of the cost of the ceramic bottle. Needless to say not going there.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:18 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You could of cut that price in half and went with Gtech serum light and a coat of EXO
It was about $1,500 for that option. Only lasts up to 3 years vs 10 for the Modesta. Plus the Modesta has that candy like appearance. Yummy.

It was 3 full days for me to do my wife’s Clubman. Decon wash, iron x, clay bar, tape off panels, paint correction, carpro eraser, then ceramic. I didn’t even do the wheels or windows. It was anything but a relaxing afternoon .

Originally Posted by undersky2
answer is very simple. Even if you learn it study it watch 20 videos, you are never going to be as good at is as someone who does this for a living. I don’t want to make a mistake. “Oh it’s not possible to mess up?” Is that true, I doubt it. There are probably many ways to mess up that I don’t even know about.
That was my reasoning for having my P Car professionally done - I dropped $150K+ on that and I want it done perfect. By an expert, with tools and ceramic coatings I don't have access to.

Originally Posted by mksz51
100% agree - did mine myself. It seems to me most Porsche owners are NOT DIY types of people - whether it be for mechanical or cosmetic needs. SO much of this can be done yourself - you know it's done right, you save money, and you get that sense of satisfaction / accomplishment that paying someone else will never provide you. Recently changed the PDK fluid on my Macan with 40,000 miles. DId it myself. $270 for filter and fluids shipped from Suncoast - dealer wanted around $800 to do it. Took me maybe 2 hours from start to finish. I think many people fall prey to the dealer speak of "you know how much a new PDK transmission costs? Are you willing to risk that by doing the service yourself?". That's just fear mongering for the uninformed.
Maybe - but often times it is about warranty stuff. For instance, the BMW DCT fluid change needs the BMW ISTA computer hook up in order to do it right (no clue on PDK). So even if you can buy all the stuff yourself, you need access to tools most people don't have access to.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-15-2022 at 12:43 PM.
frunk (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 12:39 PM
frunk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51

point taken but I am in general DIY type person I just think for 200k investment why make the most important attempt be my first attempt ?

any DIY projects that I’ve ever done I’ve gotten better at after having the practice first
doug_999 (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 12:54 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

What is a relaxing afternoon for you may not be for another. Sounds awful to me, personally. Plus I’m not good at general DIY. But I’m sure I could come up with several personal hobbies that would make others pull their hair out as well, so to each their own.

So, it’s definitely worth it to me to pay someone else to do it; to save myself the time and frustration. Even if I thought I could do a good job (which I don’t), I’d still pay someone else to do it.

I paid $1500 to do my Taycan last year. I’ll be paying to do my 992 as well.
frunk (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 01:33 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by frunk
point taken but I am in general DIY type person I just think for 200k investment why make the most important attempt be my first attempt ?

any DIY projects that I’ve ever done I’ve gotten better at after having the practice first
Practice on your other car. Applying ceramic coating is super easy. And if you screw it up, you can break out the polisher, slap some Menzerna 3800 on there (or whatever cutting agent brand you wish) and whiff it right off and reapply the ceramic.

I totally understand the seeming giant uphill task with applying ceramic, however it is super simple. Take your time and do small sections at a time. It is time consuming and your back might hurt after (get a shop dolly seat doohickey to zip around on) and it might take a day or a weekend, but it is well worth it. Your paint shouldn't have many scratches so the correction should be single stage if you do it and go quickly.

Best of luck and the good thing is that you are going to somehow have ceramic applied to your new P-Car. As you wash it after application, you will be thankful because it is so much easier than without. Cheers!
frunk (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 02:03 PM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

Well to summarize, to each their own.
If you have the time and desire then do it your self. I’ll practice on my daily driver, then wife’s car. By third car I should be ok. Again. Time and desire. The professional will most likely do a better job. For me I’ll take the education and satisfaction of doing it myself. To me it will be fun.
frunk (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 02:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Originally Posted by othertbone
In other words... there is no warranty
You're much more succinct and eloquent than I am with the English language.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:54 PM
frunk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalccd
Well to summarize, to each their own.
If you have the time and desire then do it your self. I’ll practice on my daily driver, then wife’s car. By third car I should be ok. Again. Time and desire. The professional will most likely do a better job. For me I’ll take the education and satisfaction of doing it myself. To me it will be fun.
agree on all counts .

My main takeaway is 2400 for a ceramic coat is ridiculous ! Lol

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating