Sponsored by:

Any issues from tuned 911 cars, thread…

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:40 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 759 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Just tuned my 992 S manual with M Engineering stage 1 - 91 octane tune. So far, the only issue I experienced is the tune removed the ability for my manual equipped 992 S to restart when you stall it by just pressing the clutch. However, I also opted for auto start/stop to be removed. So when I asked M Engineering to restore the auto start/stop, it fixed the issue.

M Engineering has been fantastic to work with. They are lightning fast in responding to PMs, emails, and telephone calls. As soon as I got the dongle and emailed my stock calibration to them, they turned around and emailed me back my stage 1 tune in 25 minutes. We emailed back and forth on a few option changes and they usually respond to emails in literally minutes. When I brought up the auto start/stop issue, they had the revised tune to me in about 15 minutes. Sure their tune is more expensive than others, but their service, responsiveness, and willingness to constantly work with us to fine tune our individual tunes and options, plus the quality of their tune is well worth it IMO.

Aside from this issue, the car has been flawless and the power is very noticeable. I chose the following options:
  • Stationary rev limiter raised from 3500 RPM to 7500 RPM (I love this. It's amazing how freely this turbocharged engine loves to rev in neutral)
  • Eliminate cold start - Works perfectly. Car is very quiet upon start up. It also still warms up to regular operating temps quickly.
  • PSE valve modification to open exhaust valves fully when in Sport and Sport+ modes or when the exhaust switch is toggled on - Mixed feelings about this. Yes, car definitely sounds somewhat louder, but it still doesn't sound great. It's not bad either so I'm going to leave this activated. Just don't expect GT3 or even plain 911 naturally aspirated flat 6 engine sounds coming from our cars.
I just did my M tune as well on Friday... I have a 992 PDK GTS and concur with was written here in regards to the service that M Engineering has provided thus far. Charles, Scott, and Mitch have been very responsive to any questions I have had.

I chose the following:

* removal of the rev limiter but that has not taken in my DME so they are sending a new file
* Valves either open or shut based on mode with no closures at any rpms based on mode used (PSE on or Sport or Sport Plus); this is great for me as I have the Soul 200 cats and the car just roars. I felt the car was a bit too docile during lower rpms but this is all subjective; I like it alot. I am a big fan of matching rpms to engine noise and definitely wanted more sound down low that the cats will yield with the valve adjustment. Im still going to move the PSE out for something less restrictive this week. The Flat 6 sounds really good all things considered.
* CEL removal just in case since the 992's are prone to CEL's even with 200 cell cats.
* *** removal LOL- I will never ever need or want this.

So pre tune since I had a new ROM they have never read, they sent me a zero tune file aka V100. That was easily uploaded and then they began to build one for my car. The first tune aka V101, didnt yield any real seat of the pants adjustments so they rebuilt my file (in 2 hours) and now V102 is brilliant in Sport and Sport Plus modes (no dragy just SOTP). Ive been tuning cars since the early 2000's (I have modded all 9 of my current or prior Porsches and 30 plus other cars) so I have reasonable expectations vs seeing dyno hero charts.

I do know that my Cali crap 91 octane played a large role in tune V101 not hitting and they quickly realized what they had to do. Im still having them review data logs for V102 so we can see if there is any left on the table but the car feels great down low from throttle tip in to WOT. The power remains OEM Linear just more of it thru the usable rpm ranges. I had my 2018 GTS tuned too via GIAC and this car is faster as expected. I trust these guys more than others with their tuning background and they way data log vs just shooting out a shelf tune.

Last edited by vic55; 05-17-2022 at 02:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by vic55:
AlterZgo (05-17-2022), Patton250 (05-17-2022), por356 (05-17-2022), tourenwagen (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:53 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
I just did my M tune as well on Friday... I have a 992 PDK GTS and concur with was written here in regards to the service that M Engineering has provided thus far. Charles, Scott, and Mitch have been very responsive to any questions I have had.

I chose the following:

* removal of the rev limiter but that has not taken in my DME so they are sending a new file
* Valves either open or shut based on mode with no closures at any rpms based on mode used (PSE on or Sport or Sport Plus); this is great for me as I have the Soul 200 cats and the car just roars. I felt the car was a bit too docile during lower rpms but this is all subjective; I like it alot. I am a big fan of matching rpms to engine noise and definitely wanted more sound down low that the cats will yield with the valve adjustment. Im still going to move the PSE out for something less restrictive this week. The Flat 6 sounds really good all things considered.
* CEL removal just in case since the 992's are prone to CEL's even with 200 cell cats.
* *** removal LOL- I will never ever need or want this.

So pre tune since I had a new ROM they have never read, they sent me a zero tune file aka V100. That was easily uploaded and then they began to build one for my car. The first tune aka V101, didnt yield any real seat of the pants adjustments so they rebuilt my file (in 2 hours) and now V102 is brilliant in Sport and Sport Plus modes (no dragy just SOTP). Ive been tuning cars since the early 2000's (I have modded all 9 of my current or prior Porsches and 30 plus other cars) so I have reasonable expectations vs seeing dyno hero charts.

I do know that my Cali crap 91 octane played a large role in tune V101 not hitting and they quickly realized what they had to do. Im still having them review data logs for V102 so we can see if there is any left on the table but the car feels great down low from throttle tip in to WOT. The power remains OEM Linear just more of it thru the usable rpm ranges. I had my 2018 GTS tuned too via GIAC and this car is faster as expected. I trust these guys more than others with their tuning background and they way data log vs just shooting out a shelf tune.
you’re lucky they got the second one dialed in.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:36 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
I have read a few posts on this. The reasons given for not posting times are as long as the side effects of hematology meds. But to be fair, most people are not able to go beyond marginal improvement on 0-60 but show decent uptick on 60-130. To benefit from the tune at those speeds mostly, makes the whole thing slightly less appealing for many.
I wouldn't say its less appealing to many just because the 0-60 is only a marginal improvement. Most of us tuning these cars (especially a rwd C2S) aren't going for 0-60 records on the street, we're going for major improvement on straight line rolling speeds (where the S really lacks punch), with 60-130 being one of the best indicators of the true "power" range of a car. "Decent" isn't the term to describe going from a stock 60-130 time of 9.3-9.4 to a tuned level of 7.1 with just sport cats and 93 octane.... that's massive, and puts the car in the middle of supercar territory.

And many simply just do not live near a 1/4 mile drag strip to spit out those numbers.. so there's that. But like I've said in other posts, there are times out there of people getting around 10.7s. If all that's not enough data to justify a tune...

Last edited by reddsektor; 05-17-2022 at 04:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by reddsektor:
AlterZgo (05-17-2022), Patton250 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 04:38 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ The 91 octane has got to be a big factor

The following users liked this post:
vic55 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:09 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 759 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ The 91 octane has got to be a big factor
Huge factor but I am a realist and know what fuels Im willing to use and what my gains will be. I like the tune so far and its very much like driving the OEM car with better tq/hp curves. Ill say this, M Engineering keeps reviewing my data logs and this says alot about their company and what they are trying to do to make my personal tune better. Its worth the money. I just got another variation after some more logging and this might be the best adjustment yet ... we shall see. (V103)
Patton250 (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:42 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
I wouldn't say its less appealing to many just because the 0-60 is only a marginal improvement. Most of us tuning these cars (especially a rwd C2S) aren't going for 0-60 records on the street, we're going for major improvement on straight line rolling speeds (where the S really lacks punch), with 60-130 being one of the best indicators of the true "power" range of a car. "Decent" isn't the term to describe going from a stock 60-130 time of 9.3-9.4 to a tuned level of 7.1 with just sport cats and 93 octane.... that's massive, and puts the car in the middle of supercar territory.

And many simply just do not live near a 1/4 mile drag strip to spit out those numbers.. so there's that. But like I've said in other posts, there are times out there of people getting around 10.7s. If all that's not enough data to justify a tune...
What an awesome post. I’m going to reach out to M Engineering again.
tourenwagen (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 05:52 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
This is exactly why I got the tune. I don't have any plans to launch the car or take it to a drag strip, but I want to feel that smooth, hard pull in 2nd and 3rd gear where a stock Carrera S feels a bit flat. I don't care about eeking out the last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile but just want the car to feel really fast. 60-130 measures are much more relevant to me than 0-60 and even 1/4 mile times, though 1/4 mile speed is a very good indicator as well.

And with respect to 91 octane tunes, mine felt like a huge improvement. 2nd gear acceleration now feels close to 1st gear acceleration. 1st feels downright scary with a manual transmission. I am back in the hard to shift fast enough category where i have to really pay attention or will hit the rev limiter very easily.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
PorscheObsessed (05-17-2022), reddsektor (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Any issues from tuned 911 cars, thread…