Sponsored by:

Any issues from tuned 911 cars, thread…

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 12:42 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
You're MIL is driving your Porsche? And cares about start/stop?

I can't even picture mine working her way into the driver's seat - lol.
I don’t want to take this too far off topic but yes, my MIL and many of our family members/houseguests drive the 992. We have little kids and my in-laws live in the Midwest so they come out fairly frequently and stay with us for a week or two at a time to see the grandkids - we have a big home with plenty of space. But we do have limited garage space and I have multiple cars so I’d rather they drive one of mine than clutter my driveway with some rental car. The 992 is the only automatic out of ‘my cars’ so it’s the one that gets used most by my wife and house guests and I rarely drive it unless I’m taking the kids and need the backseat. And besides, if she wasn’t driving my 992, she’d be driving another Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin. I am a sports car guy and I have too little parking space for boring cars.
The following users liked this post:
alvitdk (05-17-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:18 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 227 Posts

“And besides, if she wasn’t driving my 992, she’d be driving another Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin…”

Ever considered adoption?
Old 05-11-2022, 06:00 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Can you switch back and forth between the stock tune and the AMR tune? Did you happen to dyno it or run a 1/4 mile?
You can remove the AMR ECU unit upgrade, but why ? The car will forever be identified by the dealer as having this tune. The improvement over the stock 2020 C4S
is remarkable in power and performance. Liken the change to a 991.2 Turbo without the harshness while driving.
If your plan is to remove the ECU upgrade before selling the car, the next owner will easily know that it had been installed. So, sell to someone that is into special
performance and knows that AMR is one of the best.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:20 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
You can remove the AMR ECU unit upgrade, but why ? The car will forever be identified by the dealer as having this tune. The improvement over the stock 2020 C4S
is remarkable in power and performance. Liken the change to a 991.2 Turbo without the harshness while driving.
If your plan is to remove the ECU upgrade before selling the car, the next owner will easily know that it had been installed. So, sell to someone that is into special
performance and knows that AMR is one of the best.
Have you tried any other tunes? I am worried a tune on a hot track will overwhelm the stock cooling ability so for track days I would switch to the stock tune if possible. That’s why I asked.
I would love to see a 1/4 mile time slip from an AMR tune.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:24 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 500 Likes on 256 Posts

Have you tried any other tunes? I am worried a tune on a hot track will overwhelm the stock cooling ability so for track days I would switch to the stock tune if possible. That’s why I asked.
I'm a rare bird in that I don't drive fast or drive my car hard. I just like the extra that I got with my tune.
So, I am not the one that can tell you what the tune offers when driven hard.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

All due respect--because you have knowledge and, darn it, you started a DIY thread--you WORRY too much!

You got a tune, but you completely "declawed" it. Lowered the ramp up of power, lowered the octane.

And now you worry about too much power and heat on the track, so you're going to run a stock map on the track too.

Come on, man--what's the point of tuning? Just drive fast and let the car explode if it has to.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:20 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Yeah, I think a number of us would.

Not sure how many people on Rennlist have actually tuned their 992’s, but it would appear that most who have, don’t seem to care, or have any times that they want to post?

I’m just surprised that the tuner companies don’t have a few numbers to share…as better times, from stock, is further advertising validation/information that their tune makes a difference on the street, an on the track….and not simply a dyno number.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-12-2022 at 10:46 AM.
SBAD (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 11:48 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

Not sure how many people on Rennlist have actually tuned their 992’s, but it would appear that most who have, don’t seem to care, or have any times that they want to post?
some of us have posted...
Old 05-12-2022, 12:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by reddsektor
some of us have posted...
Yes, a few. If memory serves me, one showed (or claimed) no major time improvements…but one person did. I started a separate thread for this to keep a running tab on the times….if for no other reason than one stop shopping for those looking for performance metrics, or comparisons. Don’t think anybody has responded. Oh well, it is, what it is.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-12-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:59 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

I’m just surprised that the tuner companies don’t have a few numbers to share…as better times, from stock, is further advertising validation/information that their tune makes a difference on the street, an on the track….and not simply a dyno number.
I have read a few posts on this. The reasons given for not posting times are as long as the side effects of hematology meds. But to be fair, most people are not able to go beyond marginal improvement on 0-60 but show decent uptick on 60-130. To benefit from the tune at those speeds mostly, makes the whole thing slightly less appealing for many.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:09 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
I have read a few posts on this. The reasons given for not posting times are as long as the side effects of hematology meds. But to be fair, most people are not able to go beyond marginal improvement on 0-60 but show decent uptick on 60-130. To benefit from the tune at those speeds mostly, makes the whole thing slightly less appealing for many.

So, you’ve tuned and know this from experience? Tuning helped on my M4..haven’t yet tuned on the Porsche.

That said, lot more than 0-60. Thanks for playing.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 05-13-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:16 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Just tuned my 992 S manual with M Engineering stage 1 - 91 octane tune. So far, the only issue I experienced is the tune removed the ability for my manual equipped 992 S to restart when you stall it by just pressing the clutch. However, I also opted for auto start/stop to be removed. So when I asked M Engineering to restore the auto start/stop, it fixed the issue.

M Engineering has been fantastic to work with. They are lightning fast in responding to PMs, emails, and telephone calls. As soon as I got the dongle and emailed my stock calibration to them, they turned around and emailed me back my stage 1 tune in 25 minutes. We emailed back and forth on a few option changes and they usually respond to emails in literally minutes. When I brought up the auto start/stop issue, they had the revised tune to me in about 15 minutes. Sure their tune is more expensive than others, but their service, responsiveness, and willingness to constantly work with us to fine tune our individual tunes and options, plus the quality of their tune is well worth it IMO.

Aside from this issue, the car has been flawless and the power is very noticeable. I chose the following options:
  • Stationary rev limiter raised from 3500 RPM to 7500 RPM (I love this. It's amazing how freely this turbocharged engine loves to rev in neutral)
  • Eliminate cold start - Works perfectly. Car is very quiet upon start up. It also still warms up to regular operating temps quickly.
  • PSE valve modification to open exhaust valves fully when in Sport and Sport+ modes or when the exhaust switch is toggled on - Mixed feelings about this. Yes, car definitely sounds somewhat louder, but it still doesn't sound great. It's not bad either so I'm going to leave this activated. Just don't expect GT3 or even plain 911 naturally aspirated flat 6 engine sounds coming from our cars.
The following 7 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Charles Everson (09-22-2023), CodyBigdog (05-17-2022), Go Bruins (05-17-2022), NigelPlays (05-17-2022), tourenwagen (05-17-2022), Tupper (05-17-2022), vic55 (05-17-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:37 AM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

Is anyone familiar with how these tunes work. Are they hacking / patching parts of the ECU programming to accomplish such things?
Old 05-17-2022, 02:02 AM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Just tuned my 992 S manual with M Engineering stage 1 - 91 octane tune. So far, the only issue I experienced is the tune removed the ability for my manual equipped 992 S to restart when you stall it by just pressing the clutch. However, I also opted for auto start/stop to be removed. So when I asked M Engineering to restore the auto start/stop, it fixed the issue.

M Engineering has been fantastic to work with. They are lightning fast in responding to PMs, emails, and telephone calls. As soon as I got the dongle and emailed my stock calibration to them, they turned around and emailed me back my stage 1 tune in 25 minutes. We emailed back and forth on a few option changes and they usually respond to emails in literally minutes. When I brought up the auto start/stop issue, they had the revised tune to me in about 15 minutes. Sure their tune is more expensive than others, but their service, responsiveness, and willingness to constantly work with us to fine tune our individual tunes and options, plus the quality of their tune is well worth it IMO.

Aside from this issue, the car has been flawless and the power is very noticeable. I chose the following options:
  • Stationary rev limiter raised from 3500 RPM to 7500 RPM (I love this. It's amazing how freely this turbocharged engine loves to rev in neutral)
  • Eliminate cold start - Works perfectly. Car is very quiet upon start up. It also still warms up to regular operating temps quickly.
  • PSE valve modification to open exhaust valves fully when in Sport and Sport+ modes or when the exhaust switch is toggled on - Mixed feelings about this. Yes, car definitely sounds somewhat louder, but it still doesn't sound great. It's not bad either so I'm going to leave this activated. Just don't expect GT3 or even plain 911 naturally aspirated flat 6 engine sounds coming from our cars.

nice! Gonna have to request the rev limiter removal also on my manual.
AlterZgo (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 12:15 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
Is anyone familiar with how these tunes work. Are they hacking / patching parts of the ECU programming to accomplish such things?
I suppose you can call it "hacking/patching" parts of the ECU, but it's more methodical and scientific than that. The ECU needs to be hacked/unlocked before it can be tuned. Once that's done, the good tuners will monitor all of key parameters of a car and make adjustments to air/fuel ratios, timing, knock/detonation sensors and other parameters at different loads, temperatures, conditions. Off the shelf tunes are typically tuned more conservatively so that they can work across a broad array of cars, elevations and environmental conditions. Good tuners will retain all of the stock safety features in the stock ECUs. When done properly, there are significant benefits to tuning an ECU vs. using a piggyback like a JB4. Experience and track record is key when finding a good ECU tuner.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
michaelp (05-17-2022), Patton250 (05-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Any issues from tuned 911 cars, thread…