Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which SoCal dealership asks for lowest markups?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:46 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Which SoCal dealership asks for lowest markups?

Looking to order a 992 cabriolet and wondering which dealership in SoCal asks for the lowest markups. Few month ago as I was shopping for the Macan S, the lowest markup was at 3500k but haven't shopped for the 911 yet.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-02-2022, 12:18 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Who says there has to be a markup?
Old 05-02-2022, 02:02 PM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought from Carlsbad Porsche and I was very happy with the experience. When you were shopping for the Macan, were they marking up on factory orders or are you talking about inventory on the floor? I'm sure you realize that any 992 will need to be an order unless you plan on spending major $$ on ADM.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:05 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Originally Posted by clooloss
I bought from Carlsbad Porsche and I was very happy with the experience. When you were shopping for the Macan, were they marking up on factory orders or are you talking about inventory on the floor? I'm sure you realize that any 992 will need to be an order unless you plan on spending major $$ on ADM.
This is very much along the lines of what I'm seeing in SoCal too. If the OP thinks that markups are standard then they simply haven't been looking hard enough.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:27 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

The market is absolutely bonkers right now, so finding any dealer without ADM on almost any car is probably wishful thinking right now. If possible I'd wait until the market cools off a bit, figure 6 - 18 months or so. What I do when I'm in the market for a new car or motorcycle is to consider a very large portion of the U.S. as containing viable dealers for whatever it is that I want to buy. I then "collect" the email addresses for the sales departments of these dealers. I then send out a "personalized" form letter email to each of these dealers describing exactly what I want soliciting them to make me an offer. I make no secret of the fact that I'm sending my request out to a lot of dealers. Typically about half to three quarters of the dealers will ignore my email and a few here and there may actually send me a nasty email in return (FWIW this is NOT a good idea.) But I will usually get five or more dealers who understand that this is the internet age and will respond professionally. I'm in southern California and I usually include all of California, Nevada, Arizona and sometimes Oregon, Utah and New Mexico. I did have one fellow who did me one better. He went nationwide and bought his 911 from a dealer on the east coast and then had it delivered at the Porsche Experience Center here in Los Angeles. That way, the cost of the PEC option was a mere fraction of what it would have cost to ship the car back here from the east coast or the cost of gasoline and an airline ticket to drive it back himself. I was suitably impressed.
The following users liked this post:
La Carrera (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 06:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
The market is absolutely bonkers right now, so finding any dealer without ADM on almost any car is probably wishful thinking right now. If possible I'd wait until the market cools off a bit, figure 6 - 18 months or so. What I do when I'm in the market for a new car or motorcycle is to consider a very large portion of the U.S. as containing viable dealers for whatever it is that I want to buy. I then "collect" the email addresses for the sales departments of these dealers. I then send out a "personalized" form letter email to each of these dealers describing exactly what I want soliciting them to make me an offer. I make no secret of the fact that I'm sending my request out to a lot of dealers. Typically about half to three quarters of the dealers will ignore my email and a few here and there may actually send me a nasty email in return (FWIW this is NOT a good idea.) But I will usually get five or more dealers who understand that this is the internet age and will respond professionally. I'm in southern California and I usually include all of California, Nevada, Arizona and sometimes Oregon, Utah and New Mexico. I did have one fellow who did me one better. He went nationwide and bought his 911 from a dealer on the east coast and then had it delivered at the Porsche Experience Center here in Los Angeles. That way, the cost of the PEC option was a mere fraction of what it would have cost to ship the car back here from the east coast or the cost of gasoline and an airline ticket to drive it back himself. I was suitably impressed.
It really is bonkers. You're lucky to have your EV6, yesterday we did a walk around at some local dealers scouting options for an EV runabout. Kia in Irvine want $10k over for an EV6, Hyundai in Tustin wouldn't even talk about an Ionic 5, and VW over in Irvine were happy to take an order for an ID.4 at MSRP with delivery 'maybe end of year'.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:59 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 124 Posts

CJ Wilson posted a photo on Instagram of a 992 GT3 listed for $424,000. Crazy!
Old 05-02-2022, 09:27 PM
JiminyGl!ck
Banned

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
CJ Wilson posted a photo on Instagram of a 992 GT3 listed for $424,000. Crazy!
What is a "CJ Wilson"???
The following 2 users liked this post by JiminyGl!ck:
Icegrill (11-01-2023), suffer (05-03-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 11:24 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 124 Posts

CJ Wilson.....former MLB pitcher and multiple car dealership owner.

BMW, Audi & Porsche Fresno. Two McLaren dealerships as well.

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 05-02-2022 at 11:26 PM.
suffer (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:18 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clooloss
It is clear, I am talking about ordering. Again, I talked to almost every single dealership in the LA area and for a Macan S (ORDERED) they were asking between 3500 to 10k markup. Rusnak told me they usually charge 5k but because I am existing customer they would go down to 3500. I am looking to order the 992 but haven't started to shop around yet.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:19 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JiminyGl!ck
Who says there has to be a markup?
check the market..
Old 05-03-2022, 12:35 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Honestly, I would just look outside of SoCal and then take delivery at PECLA. It’s hard enough to find an allocation for any 992 to begin with, especially so in CA.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:48 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Honestly, I would just look outside of SoCal and then take delivery at PECLA. It’s hard enough to find an allocation for any 992 to begin with, especially so in CA.
that is a great idea!! Any Idea, where I have the best chances to get an allocation with little to no Markup? Initially I wanted to go for the 718 4.0 GTS but the 992 cabriolet is more practical and I hope I have to be less worried about the catastrophic PDK failure with the newer 992 PDK transmission.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:10 AM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
There is no PECLA delivery anymore right now!!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:12 AM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

I would honestly start email blasting every dealer in CO, TX, AZ, NY, FL as a starting point and go from there. Someone will have one if you work for it and are willing to pay a modest ADM*

* this method has usually worked in the past when friends / coworkers haven’t had luck in the Bay Area… but times are “interesting” these days. Best of luck my friend.
john981 (05-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Which SoCal dealership asks for lowest markups?