Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort Seat (14-way) vs Sports Seats Plus (18-way)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:08 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Litigator
Except that 4-way SS+ are almost exactly the same seat, but weigh quite a bit less, thus making them more suitable for aggressive driving.
But you lose all the memory functions and to some folks that is important. Yes, there's a weight penalty but frankly in a non-GT 992 that's neither here nor there.

Last edited by aggie57; 05-02-2022 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 10:18 PM
Litigator
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
But you lose all the memory functions and to some folks that is important. Yes, there's a weight penalty but frankly in a non-GT 992 that's neither here nor there.
I have what seems like 700-way seats in my Lexus RC-F and three different memory functions. I never use any of them. And I got a GTS, so for me, the weight savings matter.
Old 05-02-2022, 10:45 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Aren't the 4- and 18-ways essentially the same seat without the extra mechanicals (and weight, though that can't be much)? At 6'2" and 200 somewhat fit/lean lbs, the narrower/extra bolstered 4/18s are great, but I wouldn't want them any narrower. Better looking too? Not going to say the 14's are bad seats, and sadly the 'go to your dealer and sit in both' option doesn't always fly given low current inventories. Don't spec the LWBs though!...hard core...good for tracking, not good for a 50 yo geezer like me.

Last edited by carson2; 05-03-2022 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

I like the LWBs the best.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:08 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

I have what seems like 700-way seats in my Lexus RC-F and three different memory functions. I never use any of them. And I got a GTS, so for me, the weight savings matter.
True. Using the factory numbers a GTS is the heaviest of the base/S/GTS trio, by some margin. The lightweight package helps, it brings a GTS down to essentially the same weight as an S but both are still heavier than the equivalent base.

But really, don't buy the 4-way seats for weight savings. Buy a GT3 if that's important.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:21 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Panayos
Disclaimer: I have had 14-way on my 991.1 and 18-way on my 992 so haven't compared within the same gen, but assuming they are similar for my points below.

I find the 14-way seats unacceptable for a sports car like a 911.
On the track, they provide no support whatsoever, both the lower and upper part. I would bounce left and right and feel completely unstable. Even on spirited driving, I didn't feel connected to the car at all.
This was my experience as well. I had 14 way seats on my 991.1 and have 18-ways in my 992 now.

The 14-ways looked nice and having the backs in leather as standard was a bonus, but they really didn't hold me in place well. On the track I felt like I was spending more effort than I should have to to keep myself in-place in my seat... bracing against the center tunnel with my knee a bit, using my arm strength to keep my upper body centered properly. I think the 14-ways might be my one regret on my 991.1 spec, even 10 years later.

I haven't been on track with the 992 / 18-ways yet, but based on my street experience so far it should be a considerably improvement for me.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:35 AM
Litigator
Instructor

True. Using the factory numbers a GTS is the heaviest of the base/S/GTS trio, by some margin. The lightweight package helps, it brings a GTS down to essentially the same weight as an S but both are still heavier than the equivalent base.

But really, don't buy the 4-way seats for weight savings. Buy a GT3 if that's important.
I'm going to daily my GTS. If I were get a GT3, I'd have to get the LWBs, and then it likely becomes a weekend toy, which is a no go with a two-car garage. Maybe I should consider selling the house...
Old 05-03-2022, 11:14 AM
992gts
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 112 Posts

Easiest solution is to go sit in each, impossible on a new model but you should be able to find some used 2020s out there. That is what I did and found the 18s just too tight so I guess I opted for this Sofa?

Old 05-03-2022, 11:21 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Seriously. Weight discussions like this always confuse and frustrate me... we're talking a few pounds. It's absolutely ridiculous and I can't see any tangible benefit from silly stuff like this.

Anecdotally, I've seen at several "motorsports events", that the fastest driver was a hefty kind of dude. I'm not necessarily a lightweight at 180 lbs, but this guy had me by at least 40 lbs. And he crushed everyone in his Supra. I can't imagine if he went on a hardcore diet that he would be any more/less dominant.

Invest in training if lap times are that important to you.

Also while I'm here, I have the 2-way sport seats in my 718 Boxster GTS I just recently picked up, and noticed a VERY IMPORTANT issue- my wife is 5'2" and has trouble seeing over the steering wheel in this car with the seat at the highest setting. I've had 18-ways in both a 981 and a 991.2 and this wasn't a problem. It is in this car, and might be in a 992 as well- probably won't know until you try though so figured I'd issue a warning. Apparently this can be a benefit to taller/longer torso'd individuals, particularly in regards to wearing a helmet- but for me it's pretty much a deal breaker because my wife typically enjoys driving my toys from time to time, and I enjoy that she enjoys it. It is actually pretty frustrating and hope I can warn others who may suffer a similar fate.

FWIW I ordered a seat cushion for her to see if it helps, will be here Friday. Fortunately for me this is a "holdover" car until the 992 arrives. I would be devastated if this was a car I custom ordered and waited almost a year for...

Last edited by manifold danger; 05-03-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:11 PM
Litigator
Instructor

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Seriously. Weight discussions like this always confuse and frustrate me... we're talking a few pounds. It's absolutely ridiculous and I can't see any tangible benefit from silly stuff like this.

Anecdotally, I've seen at several "motorsports events", that the fastest driver was a hefty kind of dude. I'm not necessarily a lightweight at 180 lbs, but this guy had me by at least 40 lbs. And he crushed everyone in his Supra. I can't imagine if he went on a hardcore diet that he would be any more/less dominant.

Invest in training if lap times are that important to you.

Also while I'm here, I have the 2-way sport seats in my 718 Boxster GTS I just recently picked up, and noticed a VERY IMPORTANT issue- my wife is 5'2" and has trouble seeing over the steering wheel in this car with the seat at the highest setting. I've had 18-ways in both a 981 and a 991.2 and this wasn't a problem. It is in this car, and might be in a 992 as well- probably won't know until you try though so figured I'd issue a warning. Apparently this can be a benefit to taller/longer torso'd individuals, particularly in regards to wearing a helmet- but for me it's pretty much a deal breaker because my wife typically enjoys driving my toys from time to time, and I enjoy that she enjoys it. It is actually pretty frustrating and hope I can warn others who may suffer a similar fate.

FWIW I ordered a seat cushion for her to see if it helps, will be here Friday. Fortunately for me this is a "holdover" car until the 992 arrives. I would be devastated if this was a car I custom ordered and waited almost a year for...
We're not talking a "few" pounds - we're talking 60+ pounds. Having owned an over-heavy GT car, I wanted to shave pounds where I could. In any event, buy what you like.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:28 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

We're not talking a "few" pounds - we're talking 60+ pounds. Having owned an over-heavy GT car, I wanted to shave pounds where I could. In any event, buy what you like.
This is the point. As @manifold danger says a few pounds (and in context of a 3400lb car this is a few pounds) is really neither here nor there. I do track my car and I could easily have gone with the 4-way seats but chose the 18-ways for convenience and adjustability.
dhirm5 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:34 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

My internet evidence suggests it's less than 40 pounds difference for both seats but I'll concede I haven't weighed them myself; are you sure you're not referencing the numbers for the full lightweight package (including bucket seats)? Sure, less weight is better, but again- we're talking around 1% (almost 2% by your math) of the overall weight of the car. You really think you'll notice that, or that it will impact your lap times? I think the real question is around how much actual real-world difference will the lightweight package actually make performance-wise. I personally haven't seen that evidence anywhere, and I think there's a bit of a thought that it doesn't really make a substantial difference. Sort of like rear-wheel steering... some people swear by it, some people swear it's a joke. At least with weight there is actual science backing it, but again- I fail to see how most people would be able to actually tell a difference in the real world. I don't imagine the measurable tests are going to prove its value either; in fact I think there's already evidence that the GTS with the lightweight package doesn't really move the needle all that much over an S, even with the added horsepower.

Another thing- we're all here to talk about cars and every detail counts, so dismissing the discussion with a "buy what you like" is inappropriate in this context. It should be left unsaid that we're all going to "buy what we like", my point is that maybe the reasons for you liking the 4-ways for the weight savings isn't as substantial as you maybe thought. If it isn't enough to convince you, then maybe it would be for the next guy reading it. There are plenty of other reasons to select the 4-ways; I can think of at least 3000 of them over the 18-ways by just looking at the configurator.

What I personally just don't get is, especially in a daily driven car, why anyone would find it acceptable to adjust a seat manually in a $150k+ car? I guess the argument could be that if you're going to be the only one driving the car then it's a "set-it-and-forget it" kind of thing, and I can respect that, especially for the very real and very measurable $3k difference.

Just a tougher pill to swallow if you're just looking at weight savings. For me, having the ability for my wife to push a button and have the seat position itself to her dimensions is worth it, even if Porsche are being dicks in even making it an option in the first place.
dhirm5 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:36 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Here's a pic of the 14 ways with 930 pack and crest for reference... for a daily driver in my opinion this is the most aesthetically pleasing seat. The 18ways just look too bulky to me in there and I can't stand the standard seat back on them. Again for street driving I found these plenty supportive... if I had track day intentions I'd have to take another go in the 18 ways to see if its worth it but certainly I'd suspect for track duty they are superior. my car MAYBE will go to track 2 times in its life so not a consideration for me personally.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Dan Nagy (05-04-2022), German1967 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:20 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

that's a great looking interior^^
Old 05-03-2022, 10:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Never imagined so much back and forth about seat choices. I have the 14 way seats as I bought used and it just did not come with the 18 way. I am 6’3”, 210lbs and fit fine into the 14 way for my type of street use. Bolsters could be a little higher and maybe rear could be a little tighter but it’s entirely fine for me. I come from AMG with their superb performance seats, like the 18 way they have adjustable bolsters on bottom and rear and are just a quality seat. What I found on the AMG, even so I am not wide bodied but simply taller, I had to open the bottom to the max or would have sat on the side bolsters. The rear I adjusted a little in. On the Porsche 14 way the bottom fits me quite nice and rear is okay, not great or super snug. Long story - unless you have a wide body shape the 18 are more desirable but the 14 will do just fine with not too much trade-off for our typical use. For race use neither is the right choice and you want full bucket seats and 4 point harnesses. What I find is that on forums people argue to no end that the standard option is as good or better than the upgraded option …I guess psycho to tell yourself you got the best deal. I am simply honest - 14 way are nice and fully acceptable but 18 is just an upgrade and doubt many people would reject them if they came standard. You guys should see the intense arguments in AMG forums that the standard AMG seat is better than the superb PE seat….

Quick Reply: Comfort Seat (14-way) vs Sports Seats Plus (18-way)