Sponsored by:

Diagnose my tread wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ74
Not to hijack the thread, but I am a first time Porsche owner, C2S, getting ready to track my car. My previous car was a C7 Grand Sport. Corvette has a track prep section in the owners manual with recommended cold tire pressure (28psi) for all four tires. 30psi was the recommended street pressure. At Ron Fellows they said to aim for 34-35psi hot.
On the Porsche for the street I am running 29/32. Richard Wallace recommended to start at these pressures, my question is what temps are you looking for when hot? I was going to shoot for the same 34-35 all around as in the Corvette? Maybe since front & rear pressures are different I should look for a similar split, 6-7psi rise, 35-36 front & 38-39 rear?
Couple of points.

I typically have mine set at 30 front 33 rears (cold PSI) for street use. They will warm up (lets take ambient air temp out of the equation for now). So normal mid/hot day. They will bump to another 3-5PSI once hot/operating temps. Of course on track they will gain another 2-3PSI on top of that due to all the time hard driving. I like to on a staggered tire to run 30-32 hot on the front, and 33-35 hot rear. So you either start lower or do a hot lap or two and lower your pressures. The issue with say my McLaren and the porsche under 28 PSI you will throw a TPMS error until it goes above that.

Also remembering that you are running a staggered setup (unlike your corvette). So the pressure in the front will be less than back, due to - well the tire is bigger.

Since I do not drive aggressively on the road as I would the track (I start with the street PSI at 30 front and 33 rear) so I do not have the TPMS showing an error, and it is low enough even with some aggressive driving not a big deal

PS, My Street PSI Cold, is also due to mornings being somewhat chilly in spring and fall here in ohio. I also don't have to constantly fill or remove air from my tires every time I drive my porsche (It is my Daily Driver). So if I have it at where I mentioned and it is colder out - I can still be above 28 in front (example) even if cold outside when just getting started.

Last edited by Richard_Wallace; 04-28-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:39 PM
TJ74
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the response Richard, just what I was looking for.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:21 PM
alreed
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yeah, looks like a bit more wear in the middle; what hot pressures do you run?
Experimented a bunch but didn't take good notes. I'm gonna start logging things better.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:24 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by alreed
Experimented a bunch but didn't take good notes. I'm gonna start logging things better.
Sounds good; I start a day with 29/32-33 cold and reset them hot to the same pressures after the first run. That seemed low to me but is what people here suggested and seems to work, no sign of rolling onto shoulders and wear is pretty even. Here are a front tire on mine after a day at Laguna Seca using that approach, as you can see the tire is pretty new at that stage.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:17 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

You've gotten very sound advice from guys who have been where you are. After way too many years of racing, which started with just a few PCA track days then $$$$. My suggestions are:
If you are only doing one maybe two "gentle" track days a year to feel what you car can do in safe environment then just replace the worn tires with the same and don't look back.
If you may do more than one or two gentle track days then for safety's sake (not your wallet) as a minimum (it gets real expensive from here) invest in: A set of dedicated track wheels with track tires, upgrade the brake pads to trackable pads that can withstand the heat and change the brake fluid to one that has higher boiling points. There are many local shops that support PCA track days who would provide assistance. Ask around the club for recommendations.
Yes it can get expensive but oh my is it fun!
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 06:19 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

You've gotten very sound advice from guys who have been where you are. After way too many years of racing, which started with just a few PCA track days then $$$$. My suggestions are:
If you are only doing one maybe two "gentle" track days a year to feel what you car can do in safe environment then just replace the worn tires with the same and don't look back.
If you may do more than one or two gentle track days then for safety's sake (not your wallet) as a minimum (it gets real expensive from here) invest in: A set of dedicated track wheels with track tires, upgrade the brake pads to trackable pads that can withstand the heat and change the brake fluid to one that has higher boiling points. There are many local shops that support PCA track days who would provide assistance. Ask around the club for recommendations.
Yes it can get expensive but oh my is it fun!

Quick Reply: Diagnose my tread wear?