Sponsored by:

Radar Detector Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 10:31 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 992gts
what are you using in TN? I have an older R3 and it seems like most cops use Ka so when I either see a report in Waze or I pickup Ka I slow down - no idea if I am getting lucky with laser but I have not ever passed a highway cop that was not sending out Ka
Not been tagged once with laser over here in East TN so I updated my previous V1 gen1 to a gen2 (on a blend mount) along with Waze (although there aren't too many Waze users in my smaller, rural town) which has worked extremely well.

This combination has saved me many, many times as you need BOTH IMO to get the best protection (other than keeping your head on a swivel).
Old 07-30-2022, 10:44 AM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Thats not a 992. Obviously do what you want, but on my car - 22 Targa GTS - we did not have the required height to mount the TX sensor.
Understood that the example on the website wasn't a 992. It does show the regular ALP sensors in the front consistent with your statement that there isn't the required height but it does show suggested placement of the TX head in the rear. I don't imagine the height of the suggested rear placement is hugely different between the 991 and 992.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by clooloss
Understood that the example on the website wasn't a 992. It does show the regular ALP sensors in the front consistent with your statement that there isn't the required height but it does show suggested placement of the TX head in the rear. I don't imagine the height of the suggested rear placement is hugely different between the 991 and 992.
Got it. Frankly, I am not very worried about being hit from the rear. It’s possible, but less likely to happen without an alert, so I am ok with only the 2 rear heads.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:10 AM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 123 Posts

Got it. Frankly, I am not very worried about being hit from the rear. It’s possible, but less likely to happen without an alert, so I am ok with only the 2 rear heads.

Running the ALP for years and you’re correct. I’ve never once been shot with laser from the rear. Not to say it doesn’t happen but I was traveling regularly in NC,SC,TN,GA,FL and MS. I never run my radar setup in VA and turn it off.

Installing the ALP into the Cayenne as we speak and I’ve learned one thing…… Porsche knows how to build a car! The interior is amazing sound detonating and how they interlock all the panels and the how the bumpers are installed. This just proved to me I’m a Porsche owner for life!

Today I’ve gotta install all the rear heads in the tailgate along with pulling the rear bumper to install the radar head.
The following users liked this post:
Patton250 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:35 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Running the ALP for years and you’re correct. I’ve never once been shot with laser from the rear. Not to say it doesn’t happen but I was traveling regularly in NC,SC,TN,GA,FL and MS. I never run my radar setup in VA and turn it off.

Installing the ALP into the Cayenne as we speak and I’ve learned one thing…… Porsche knows how to build a car! The interior is amazing sound detonating and how they interlock all the panels and the how the bumpers are installed. This just proved to me I’m a Porsche owner for life!

Today I’ve gotta install all the rear heads in the tailgate along with pulling the rear bumper to install the radar head.
ALP is the the way to go if you want to defeat ALL lidar guns. DSP is on par with any other radar detectors available today. Brother you need the stealth look on a Porsche. Tell me where my set up is.:-) I have two TX and two RX up front and the same in the back. Also my DSP are in the bumpers both back and front. I have 100% JTG and JFG against all guns. You should see what the control board is and the computer. It’s just ridiculous how beautiful of a job they did. I’m going to do a video on it one day. Maybe I’ll do it today.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russbert
I love the ALP system and was getting ready to get one when I lived in Cincinnati (they use laser a lot) but I moved to Tennessee over 11 years ago and while radar detectors are OK, laser jammers are against the law unfortunately.
So what. So are tinted windows yet everyone in Tennessee has them. It’s a minor infraction. Besides if you use them right and instal them properly no one will ever know. I’m not sure how much the revenue generators use Laser in Tennessee. They do everywhere in Georgia.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:43 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Beautiful install and having three jammers up front is the perfect setup!

I’ve had the ALP jammers on cars only and never an suv. Now that I’m installing the setup on the Cayenne, a TX sensor in the middle is a must.

They say, the TX sensor needs a minimum of 20 inches of height from the ground so you’re pushing it on the 911. Just have three laser jammers up front like Drew had installed and you’ll never have an issue.
That’s not the case anymore with the black TX sensors. I have found most installers including some of the best I’ve ever seen still don’t know the whole truth about these set ups. None of them or very few of them have the proper guns to even test your install after they are done. It’s very disappointing. If you guys want to learn about laser jammers and Radar Detectors join RDF. Genuine and very brilliant enthusiasts on the forum. They know everything. They know more than the manufacturers do. The moderators are kind of dick heads over there but other than that many of the membership are pretty cool and willing to help.
Old 07-31-2022, 08:45 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

My installer said there was not enough height. They are a ALP Authorized Dealer/Installer FWIW. I imagine he would have been happy to charge me for the more expensive head if he could.
He is wrong. Get a new installer. Either that or politely and tactfully ask him to become better informed about the products they offer.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:07 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
So what. So are tinted windows yet everyone in Tennessee has them. It’s a minor infraction. Besides if you use them right and instal them properly no one will ever know. I’m not sure how much the revenue generators use Laser in Tennessee. They do everywhere in Georgia.
If laser jammers are illegal in your state and they catch you with one you can be charged with a misdemeanor which is a lot more serious than a motor vehicle violation for tinted windows.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:14 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

He is wrong. Get a new installer. Either that or politely and tactfully ask him to become better informed about the products they offer.

From the AL priority website, on the prouduct description for the TX black sensor: "TX Sensors also need a minimum floor clearance of approximately 20" - If install is very low a TX is not recommended and you are better off with 3 regular sensors"

3 or 4 people who have installed outside the recommendations does not mean that this will work well. You may be able to get a few inches below 20 and be ok, but it may also depend on many other factors if this will work. Also, very few people have the correct gun to test if the install is successful or not, and the people who have one won't help some newbie posting on RDF asking for a test of their system.

Last edited by malba2366; 07-31-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:42 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malba2366
If laser jammers are illegal in your state and they catch you with one you can be charged with a misdemeanor which is a lot more serious than a motor vehicle violation for tinted windows.
they’re not going to charge you with a misdemeanor for that. There are tons of people in Tennessee with laser jammers. They can charge you with a misdemeanor for tinted windows also.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:43 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

From the AL priority website, on the prouduct description for the TX black sensor: "TX Sensors also need a minimum floor clearance of approximately 20" - If install is very low a TX is not recommended and you are better off with 3 regular sensors"

3 or 4 people who have installed outside the recommendations does not mean that this will work well. You may be able to get a few inches below 20 and be ok, but it may also depend on many other factors if this will work. Also, very few people have the correct gun to test if the install is successful or not, and the people who have one won't help some newbie posting on RDF asking for a test of their system.
you’re wrong. I’m not going to argue with you.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:35 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

you’re wrong. I’m not going to argue with you.
Right...I am wrong, and so is the manufacturer of the device (who makes more money by selling the TX heads).
Old 07-31-2022, 02:37 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Right...I am wrong, and so is the manufacturer of the device (who makes more money by selling the TX heads).
yes you are wrong and the manufacturer does not say what you’re claiming they say. I know the representative for the United States. Try doing some research on it. Get back to me after that. I told you I wasn’t going to argue with you but I don’t want you to put out misinformation here like you’re doing. Or you just don’t have to install TX heads on your 911. But still stop spreading misinformation. Have a blessed day.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:47 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

yes you are wrong and the manufacturer does not say what you’re claiming they say. I know the representative for the United States. Try doing some research on it. Get back to me after that. I told you I wasn’t going to argue with you but I don’t want you to put out misinformation here like you’re doing. Or you just don’t have to install TX heads on your 911. But still stop spreading misinformation. Have a blessed day.

Look at this website...which is the official US distributor of AL Priority. Scroll down to the second line below "Requirements"....I am not putting out misinformation, just what is listed on their website.

https://www.alpriorityusa.com/TX-Laser-Sensors.html

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Suggestions