Adm!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 01:18 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
So what's the best way to deal with this situation as a car consumer?

Let's say I'm in the market to buy a Turbo / Turbo S but I'm not ultra-wealthy, but I do have access to funds to purchase, but I have to stretch a bit. Do I pull out all the stops and buy now or should I wait longer?
How old are you?

If you're 80, go for it. Stretch and get the car you want. Life is short. Literally, if you're 80.

If you're 20, wait. Life is short. But not that short.
The following 5 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
AlexCeres (04-27-2022), detansinn (04-26-2022), mrcarlo (04-27-2022), null (04-26-2022), tomingrassia (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 08:56 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
So what's the best way to deal with this situation as a car consumer?

Let's say I'm in the market to buy a Turbo / Turbo S but I'm not ultra-wealthy, but I do have access to funds to purchase, but I have to stretch a bit. Do I pull out all the stops and buy now or should I wait longer?
The Turbo/Turbo S cars typically have depreciation greater than the lower trims and that movement in dollars is substantial. The question is really, can you afford that very real depreciation? The tens of thousands of dollars that the car loses when it is driven off of the lot. Yes, I am fully aware that the pandemic upended some of that thinking, but there will be a time where cars depreciate again -- and it's not that far off.

Does it make sense to wait? Well, the prices of the cars are going up substantially in the fall and interest rates for auto loans will be exiting the "free money" zone in the coming months. ADMs will probably fall substantially, but that'll be offset by those other increased acquisition costs.

If you're older, a homeowner, and got the kids through college, life is short and a little stretch for some fun is par for the course. Life doesn't last forever. If you can count your remaining summers on this earth on your fingers and toes, go for it.
If you're young, pay rent, and get a paycheck from a business that you don't own, stretching to get a new 911 Turbo S doesn't make a lick of sense. Of course, it's your decision to make.

If you're somewhere in between, your definition of "stretch" may vary. For some, that might mean one less week at the place in Martha's Vineyard. For others, that may mean weeks of Ramen between pay checks.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Drew46 (04-26-2022), Yojeffo (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 08:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The Turbo/Turbo S cars typically have depreciation greater than the lower trims and that movement in dollars is substantial. The question is really, can you afford that very real depreciation? The tens of thousands of dollars that the car loses when it is driven off of the lot. Yes, I am fully aware that the pandemic upended some of that thinking, but there will be a time where cars depreciate again -- and it's not that far off.

Does it make sense to wait? Well, the prices of the cars are going up substantially in the fall and interest rates for auto loans will be exiting the "free money" zone in the coming months. ADMs will probably fall substantially, but that'll be offset by those other increased acquisition costs.

If you're older, a homeowner, and got the kids through college, life is short and a little stretch for some fun is par for the course. Life doesn't last forever. If you can count your remaining summers on this earth on your fingers and toes, go for it.
If you're young, pay rent, and get a paycheck from a business that you don't own, stretching to get a new 911 Turbo S doesn't make a lick of sense. Of course, it's your decision to make.

If you're somewhere in between, your definition of "stretch" may vary. For some, that might mean one less week at the place in Martha's Vineyard. For others, that may mean weeks of Ramen between pay checks.
That dynamic changed with the 991.2 Turbo/S. Depreciation was not bad with that car, in my experience. Porsche made lower numbers of cars with that generation (even less so, it appears, with the 992) which probably stabilized resale.

In other words, I wouldn't let deprecation be the reason you don't get a TT/S.

Last edited by rk-d; 04-26-2022 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Clarified: 991.2 TT/S
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 12:32 PM
laurenxesq
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

With consumer confidence softening, interest rate on the rise. Couple folks in Socal backed out of their allocation and their pre-order shining new 992s. Depreciation will be slowly coming back along with ADM phasing out. Just my two cents.
The following 4 users liked this post by laurenxesq:
detansinn (04-26-2022), drgek (04-27-2022), NYG1121 (04-26-2022), russbert (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:05 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 901 Likes on 503 Posts

Personally I think there is alot of crypto "hot money" in the sports car market right now, that's a major driver of the spend-up ADM craze. I don't think people view appreciation on their primary residences as a trigger to buy a $100K+ car.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:31 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Personally I think there is alot of crypto "hot money" in the sports car market right now, that's a major driver of the spend-up ADM craze. I don't think people view appreciation on their primary residences as a trigger to buy a $100K+ car.
And PPP money.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:21 PM
rambutan2000
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone has posted this: https://markups.org
People are cloud sourcing dealer markups. If you search for Porsche these dealers have 0 markup:
Porsche Syracuse
Porsche Marin
Champion Porsche (Florida)

Obviously not a reliable source of information but has anyone purchased from these dealers lately? Would gladly buy cross-country and pay shipping just to give a decent dealer business.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:34 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by rambutan2000
Not sure if anyone has posted this: https://markups.org
People are cloud sourcing dealer markups. If you search for Porsche these dealers have 0 markup:
Porsche Syracuse
Porsche Marin
Champion Porsche (Florida)

Obviously not a reliable source of information but has anyone purchased from these dealers lately? Would gladly buy cross-country and pay shipping just to give a decent dealer business.

It is only a matter of time before dbag car dealers go on there and report that their dealership has no markup, or that other dealers have markup....probably the case for Champion Porsche which is known to be a pretty scammy place.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:07 PM
nyca
Drifting

https://jalopnik.com/a-rep-from-the-...ski-1829066180
Old 04-26-2022, 09:26 PM
norcalccd
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice SA at Marin Porsche HOWEVER they didn’t have any new inventory AND they were 10% over on orders.
In all fairness maybe that has all changed in the last couple Days
Old 04-26-2022, 09:33 PM
nyca
Drifting

So if things do "loosen up", how will we know? The dealers aren't going to publicize that people are cancelling their pre-orders because of economic concerns. And alot of dealers have turned potential buyers away with what has been going on, you wonder how deep their wait lists are if suddenly buyers with deposits in queue (and let's face it, alot of them are flippers trying to make a quick profit), start dropping out. And for people with negotiated ADMs, do they get to re-negotiate those if market conditions change, or are they contractually committed to their ADMs?

Last edited by nyca; 04-26-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

So if things do "loosen up", how will we know? The dealers aren't going to publicize that people are cancelling their pre-orders because of economic concerns. And alot of dealers have turned potential buyers away with what has been going on, you wonder how deep their wait lists are if suddenly buyers with deposits in queue (and let's face it, alot of them are flippers trying to make a quick profit), start dropping out. And for people with negotiated ADMs, do they get to re-negotiate those if market conditions change, or are they contractually committed to their ADMs?
It’s business. You need to be willing to walk and gamble that the dealer plays ball. I suspect they’d just go to the next guy on the list.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
aggie57 (04-26-2022), AlexCeres (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:17 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Let’s be honest here. There is no shortage of people who want 911’s. People aren’t dropping off lists left & right. If the dealership is dead-set on some amount of ADM and you decide not to pay, they will sell the car to somebody else. It’s easy for them. New 911’s are not sitting around collecting dust on dealership lots in 2022.

My dealership agreed to a percentage below MSRP last April, however, I saw the market conditions continuing in a direction that was not in my favor. I was concerned that the terms would change when my car was delivered 3 weeks ago. I mentally prepared myself for the terms to be changed to MSRP or at least a $10k ADM (…I was already emotionally committed and I had no plans to walk away after selling my M4 and waiting a full year), but thankfully the terms were upheld and I purchased under MSRP in today’s crazy market. Sure, I didn’t get the 6-8% off MSRP that MY2020 buyers were able to achieve, but I saved $3500 off of the MSRP of my 992 C2S. No complaints here.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-26-2022 at 11:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
laurenxesq (04-28-2022), ssiminou (04-26-2022), theclutch (05-08-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 01:14 AM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

i went into Marin early in my search, asked to see a 992 and the salesman walked me out to a 2017 911. I asked what that was and he said a 992. I’m sure there great but I couldn’t get past that one and moved on.

Originally Posted by norcalccd
Very nice SA at Marin Porsche HOWEVER they didn’t have any new inventory AND they were 10% over on orders.
In all fairness maybe that has all changed in the last couple Days

Quick Reply: Adm!!??