Sponsored by:

gts sound symposer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 04:53 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts
Default gts sound symposer

does the 992 gts have a sound symposer fitted,if it does where does the noise enter the cabin
Old 02-12-2024, 11:17 AM
recarv
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

On my GTS 2023, its NOT there or not where the regular base or S versions were. There is a spot where it should go, but there is no hole in the cabin through which the normal symposer usually routes. Furthermore the normal pipes go down by the airboxes and the controller on it is electrical, not vacuum like is stated on Flat6 with their symposer delete kit. I'm not sure what changed, I'd be thrilled to find out though - mainly what is the electrical controller doing.

This is the 2023 GTS - you can see the sound deeading cut-out, but no hole is present to route any "noise".

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...delete-kit-992
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2024, 12:49 PM
Porschetuner2005
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by recarv
On my GTS 2023, its NOT there or not where the regular base or S versions were. There is a spot where it should go, but there is no hole in the cabin through which the normal symposer usually routes. Furthermore the normal pipes go down by the airboxes and the controller on it is electrical, not vacuum like is stated on Flat6 with their symposer delete kit. I'm not sure what changed, I'd be thrilled to find out though - mainly what is the electrical controller doing.

This is the 2023 GTS - you can see the sound deeading cut-out, but no hole is present to route any "noise".

https://flat6motorsports.com/product...delete-kit-992
So to clarify, while you do not have sound symposer, the pipes you are referring to that are "electrically controlled" are your diverter valves, as seen below:

Your sound symposer would plug into the pipe fittings just below those, as all the non-turbo intercoolers are the same (just plugged internally if you do not have SS installed) as seen here:

The SS are vacuum-actuated on the right side, but since yours is not equipped, you do not have the vacuum line installed as well. Just wanted to clear that up for everyone.
Feel free to reach out if any one has more questions. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2024, 03:31 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

yes there is no mechanical route for sound transmission on the 992 gts,
was recently at the pec trackday and the instuctor says the engine note is helped by the sound system
Old 02-14-2024, 03:37 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by redwolfgts
was recently at the pec trackday and the instuctor says the engine note is helped by the sound system
If its true, I hope it is not too intrusive! BMW Active Sound Design (ASD) is a piece of crap, but can atleast it can be coded out using Bimmercode.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:37 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by redwolfgts
That is completely false. Porsche would never stoop to BMW M5 electronic shenanigans. I hope that instructor drives better than he researches...

Here's a 992 parts diagram showing it: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...tor-992129504a

Last edited by jlegelis; 02-14-2024 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlfaM5 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 03:48 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

In fact, just noticed in my PIWIS setup that 'Soundaktuator' has it's own controller.. will check it can be disabled in via coding....

Old 02-14-2024, 04:03 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlegelis
That is completely false. Porsche would never stoop to BMW M5 electronic shenanigans. I hope that instructor drives better than he researches...

Here's a 992 parts diagram showing it: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...tor-992129504a
he sits in them 5 days a week with muppets like me drving, so pretty sure he will know them inside out
Old 02-14-2024, 04:09 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

drawing does list as being fitted on the gts

where is that pipe coming into the car
Old 02-14-2024, 04:13 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Here's the reference: https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...iew/article06/

"Another system the acoustics team uses to highlight the Porsche sound is the sound symposer. This is not a speaker, but rather a sort of sound path, a line for tones consisting of a plastic hose with a gas-impermeable membrane. That’s how it transports the passionate trumpeting of the intake pipe, for example, into the cockpit. Because most drivers perceive the engine note differently, it’s possible to dial in just the right amount—using a flap valve and the gas-impermeable seal through a membrane that works something like the human eardrum.What does that mean in practice? As soon as the driver hits the Sport button on the center console, sharpening the responsiveness of the transmission, engine, and suspension, the flaps in the sound symposer and the Helmholtz resonator open to allow unrestricted flow, intensifying the natural sound of the Porsche engine. If the intensity of the sound becomes too dominant, you can switch back to comfort mode and cruise along quietly."

Old 02-14-2024, 04:19 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

Here's the reference: https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...iew/article06/

"Another system the acoustics team uses to highlight the Porsche sound is the sound symposer. This is not a speaker, but rather a sort of sound path, a line for tones consisting of a plastic hose with a gas-impermeable membrane. That’s how it transports the passionate trumpeting of the intake pipe, for example, into the cockpit. Because most drivers perceive the engine note differently, it’s possible to dial in just the right amount—using a flap valve and the gas-impermeable seal through a membrane that works something like the human eardrum.What does that mean in practice? As soon as the driver hits the Sport button on the center console, sharpening the responsiveness of the transmission, engine, and suspension, the flaps in the sound symposer and the Helmholtz resonator open to allow unrestricted flow, intensifying the natural sound of the Porsche engine. If the intensity of the sound becomes too dominant, you can switch back to comfort mode and cruise along quietly."
is that not for the model before the 992
Old 02-14-2024, 04:33 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

992 is a refresh of the 991. Not sure if you've spent much time with the parts catalog, but a large number of 992 parts have 991 part numbers... first cousins lot of shared DNA.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:47 PM
redwolfgts
Intermediate

not looked at a parts book,but good that your on the case though

where do the ends of the symposer fit,as i had a look on my gts and could not see anything that looked like one

Quick Reply: gts sound symposer