Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a brand new 992 professionally repainted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 02:39 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Having a brand new 992 professionally repainted?

Has anyone had a modern/new high-end car like a 992 completely repainted by an independent shop? How does it affect resale value down the line? I desperately want a 992 Turbo S Cabriolet in Miami Blue but Porsche has still not added it as a color to the PTS list and it seems there’s no way to know when they might. On top of that, PTS is now $13k and the shop I found quoted me $15-20k depending on the car. It’s also currently impossible to get any 992 Turbo S allocation and my SA just told me he was informed PTS is now suspended through the rest of 2022 (at least).

I’m wondering how suspicious a future buyer would be of a 911 painted in a color that’s theoretically not possible to get from Porsche? The shop was recommended to me by my local Aston Martin dealer, as apparently they send brand new cars to them when they arrive from the factory with any type of paint imperfections. Given that I was not overly impressed with the quality of the PTS paint job on my last 911 (seems you’re really just paying for the color itself) this almost seems like a better route to go at present time.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:46 PM
NDAZONE
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not do that due to resale value. Did you consider getting the car professionally wrapped in Miami Blue?
The following 2 users liked this post by NDAZONE:
992WhiteOut (03-25-2022), MoeMistry (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:46 PM
brainzito
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 118 Posts

with the quality of wraps, it'd be crazy to paint a car just because you can't get the color you want. Just find the best PPF/wrap installer in your area. Expect to pay ~$5-6k
Old 03-24-2022, 02:47 PM
kim9701
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 105 Posts

I also think wrapping is the way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 02:56 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 545 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
Has anyone had a modern/new high-end car like a 992 completely repainted by an independent shop? How does it affect resale value down the line? I desperately want a 992 Turbo S Cabriolet in Miami Blue but Porsche has still not added it as a color to the PTS list and it seems there’s no way to know when they might. On top of that, PTS is now $13k and the shop I found quoted me $15-20k depending on the car. It’s also currently impossible to get any 992 Turbo S allocation and my SA just told me he was informed PTS is now suspended through the rest of 2022 (at least).

I’m wondering how suspicious a future buyer would be of a 911 painted in a color that’s theoretically not possible to get from Porsche? The shop was recommended to me by my local Aston Martin dealer, as apparently they send brand new cars to them when they arrive from the factory with any type of paint imperfections. Given that I was not overly impressed with the quality of the PTS paint job on my last 911 (seems you’re really just paying for the color itself) this almost seems like a better route to go at present time.
I highly suggest you do not do so.

1. Price seems too low, if you're going to do this, you want to do it right, you'd want a restoration shop that will do a full tear down, rough estimate, at least $30k.
2. It will always be suspicious that the color has changed, resell value will be determined by how good of quality the repaint is executed, but by no means should you expect your vehicle is worth more than it was pre-repaint.

This is coming from someone who looked at buying a modern 911 and having it resprayed in Rubystone Red... it just does not make sense, you're better off performing said repaint on a classic, or just waiting for a proper PTS car.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 03-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

You could do a wrap or the peelable paint professional grade products could be an option. Newer materials can even be polished.

No way I would repaint a brand new 992.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G:
drcollie (03-25-2022), vg247 (11-22-2023)
Old 03-24-2022, 03:32 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Seems like a moot point since you acknowledge that getting an allocation is impossible. How can you paint a car you can't buy?
Go Bruins (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:23 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

A wrap is not an option for me, personally. I’ve had multiple cars professionally wrapped before (by very reputable shops). I know they’ll fool the average person from 10 ft away but I’ve never seen one that remotely matches the finish of a professional paint job up close.
The following 2 users liked this post by blabus:
Noah Fect (03-25-2022), WhitBroo (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:25 PM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
Seems like a moot point since you acknowledge that getting an allocation is impossible. How can you paint a car you can't buy?
Buy a used one. Money isn’t so much the issue as time, in my case.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM
Stanley Rous
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 30 Posts

I watched this the other day that might be of interest. Peel-able paint.

Sure I watched something with Chris Harris recently who had wrapped a BMW CS too.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:33 PM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

If you’re unwilling to do a traditional vinyl wrap (which would be my first recommendation) I’d look into the newer process of the paint over vinyl (peelable paint). You’d be able to get true Miami blue and it’s reversible. Mr.JWW just did this to his GT3 and it turned out incredible - see video below. Nice in-between of wrap and repaint.

That being said, vinyl has really come a long way in the last few years so I’d think about it. Inozetek has a almost identical Miami Blue vinyl (https://inozetekusa.com/products/supergloss-miami-blue) that is pretty damn close to paint in how it reflects light. I have their Vintage Racing Green on my C8 and it’s very impressive.

detansinn (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:35 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
Buy a used one. Money isn’t so much the issue as time, in my case.
Okay. A bit confused. if you are buying used, PTS available seems like a non-factor.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:11 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

If money isn’t an issue, the job done right will be. $40-50k affair and the depreciation will be along similar lines.

Peelable paints and coatings are quite sophisticated when applied by the right shop and would allow you to avoid the depreciation hit, because it’s reversible. It still will set you back five figures done right.

Then again, if money really isn’t an issue, why not just go with a PTS car. There are a lot of great blues.

Last edited by detansinn; 03-24-2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:08 AM
blabus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
If money isn’t an issue, the job done right will be. $40-50k affair and the depreciation will be along similar lines.

Peelable paints and coatings are quite sophisticated when applied by the right shop and would allow you to avoid the depreciation hit, because it’s reversible. It still will set you back five figures done right.

Then again, if money really isn’t an issue, why not just go with a PTS car. There are a lot of great blues.
Because it sounds like PTS is suspended until beginning of next year at the earliest, and even if that weren’t the case, Miami Blue is not included in the approved PTS list.

I do agree that $15k sounded far too low, but they only gave me relatively vague info over the phone, and did say that full repaints *start* at $15-20k (perhaps that’s for a Miata or Smart car or something).

Last edited by blabus; 03-25-2022 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:16 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Miami Blue may not be approved currently, but you may be surprised at what can happen depending on your relationship with your dealer and Porsche. When I inquired about possibly painting my TTS Cherry Red like the Targa Heritage, Porsche offered to waive the feasibility charge (although it still had to go through the feasibility study). Perhaps you could arrange for the same since it is an existing Porsche color. You would still need to wait until the PTS window opened again, though.

Quick Reply: Having a brand new 992 professionally repainted?