Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Gremlins, Issues and Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 11:30 PM
KSG1965
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

My 911 drives awesome and is mechanically sound as a rock but the infotainment system is finicky. Every once in a while (approximately once every two weeks) I might have to re-assign the widgets on the PCM however I always get this notification when I start the car. I keep the software up to date, Is there anyway to get rid of this notification? thanks.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:30 AM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Door rattle seems to be a fairly common complaint. My dealer fixed a speaker rattle and created a new one by breaking the tabs on the door card. Now I'm waiting for six months on the new door panel.
Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Ditto on the passenger side door rattle.

Dealership fixed…said something inside the door was “not fastened down”. Now, coming up on 8 month of ownership, hear another door rattle. I’ll wait for my 1 year service.
Both my doors rattle…passenger side much worse. Mostly from that small speaker behind the door pull that some have mentioned. Have Burmester so that bass doesn’t help but some of the passenger side rattles are unrelated to music playing (rough roads bring them out). Had my car in for a few things last week and they were unable to duplicate the rattles and didn’t even remove the door panels. Frustrating as heck but hearing what others are going through, perhaps it worked out for the best. I lived with a passenger side door panel rattle on my 991.2 and guess I’ll learn to live with it on this car as well. I’m tempted to remove the panels and try to fix myself but I chickened out halfway through trying to do that on my 991 and think I’ll probably just skip it on this one. These cars make noises…oh well.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:35 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by BCA01
Both my doors rattle…passenger side much worse. Mostly from that small speaker behind the door pull that some have mentioned. Have Burmester so that bass doesn’t help but some of the passenger side rattles are unrelated to music playing (rough roads bring them out). Had my car in for a few things last week and they were unable to duplicate the rattles and didn’t even remove the door panels. Frustrating as heck but hearing what others are going through, perhaps it worked out for the best. I lived with a passenger side door panel rattle on my 991.2 and guess I’ll learn to live with it on this car as well. I’m tempted to remove the panels and try to fix myself but I chickened out halfway through trying to do that on my 991 and think I’ll probably just skip it on this one. These cars make noises…oh well.
One reason I prefer to ride with the sun roof cracked, one windows down….

I can’t give Porsche a pass on this rattle problem. For the amount of money they ask, they can make it a lot tighter. Never, ever owned a car with the rattle problems of the porsche…
Old 03-25-2022, 07:57 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 601 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by KSG1965
My 911 drives awesome and is mechanically sound as a rock but the infotainment system is finicky. Every once in a while (approximately once every two weeks) I might have to re-assign the widgets on the PCM however I always get this notification when I start the car. I keep the software up to date, Is there anyway to get rid of this notification? thanks.

same here… not every time on start up but repeatedly… have not figured it out yet…there should be a setting where you limit notifications… but even with that this comes up again…
Old 03-25-2022, 10:19 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
One reason I prefer to ride with the sun roof cracked, one windows down….

I can’t give Porsche a pass on this rattle problem. For the amount of money they ask, they can make it a lot tighter. Never, ever owned a car with the rattle problems of the porsche…
My Corvette never had a rattle. Very frustrating with the 992.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:14 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
My Corvette never had a rattle. Very frustrating with the 992.
Neither does my 2016 M4…after 6 years as my “daily driver”
Old 03-25-2022, 01:09 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
same here… not every time on start up but repeatedly… have not figured it out yet…there should be a setting where you limit notifications… but even with that this comes up again…

Simple fix for those that get this with PCM 6.0. Got into settings, notifications and you will see a series of check marks. Uncheck system activation notification

(PS. I think I unchecked all of them (there are others that will give you a notification when the software and nav is updated as well.)
The following 2 users liked this post by Richard_Wallace:
German1967 (03-25-2022), KSG1965 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:18 PM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
Simple fix for those that get this with PCM 6.0. Got into settings, notifications and you will see a series of check marks. Uncheck system activation notification

(PS. I think I unchecked all of them (there are others that will give you a notification when the software and nav is updated as well.)
That's helpful - thanks!

Anyone know what System Activation actually does? How is it that it happens only sometimes and other times it does not?
Old 03-25-2022, 06:22 PM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
I got this twice when the car stood for about a week without moving it. I have an AGM battery. It was an error message related to a driving assistance nanny that I do not recall anymore. I made it a practice to connect the car to a trickle charger if I don't drive it for a week. Did not re-occur since then.
I got this auto on/off start error two times in the first week or two as well and I'm guessing related to the lithium ion battery , even though I was actually driving quite a bit. It hasn't happened again since that first 1-2 weeks.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:51 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by tnf552
That's helpful - thanks!

Anyone know what System Activation actually does? How is it that it happens only sometimes and other times it does not?
System activation - I believe - lets you know on start up it has connected to porsche remote services.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:59 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 135 Posts

I have the exact same problem. Tried everything, PCM reboot (what a pain) with no success, called Porsche, Apple, Sirius XM to no avail. It didn't start out that way and best I can tell is a result of a recent update,but from whom; Apple, Porsche, ATT (phone provider) or sirius.
I use car play which I think causes the issue, going to try turning off car play and see if Sirius starts with car and stays on.
Please let me know if you discover anything in a PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Gremlins, Issues and Fixes