Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling with suitcase on rear bench

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022 | 09:29 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Default Traveling with suitcase on rear bench

In connection with a couple of upcoming trips, I will need to put my roller bag (classic rectangular 21" Tumi) in the back of a 992 cabriolet, on the bench. In testing this out with my own car, I have noticed that the bench is (obviously) really just two platform pieces that fold down. These platforms are, however, not very substantial and seemed to sag under the weight of my bag. I am wondering whether this is an issue in terms of maybe irrevocably bending the platform hinges and what, if anything, people have done about the sag in terms of supporting the platforms?

Of course, I may simply lay my luggage on the seats without the platforms, in which case I will bring a thin towel to protect the seats (which I would also use to protect the bench). But I really would prefer to use the bench if possible.

Thanks much.
Old 03-23-2022 | 10:21 AM
Drew46
Drifting

I have no first hand experience (yet), but I would fully expect the folded down seats to more than adequately support a roller bag. Its not full of gold bricks is it?
Old 03-23-2022 | 01:39 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Is it possible to remove the seat back and bottom (aka the platform)? In older generations, they used to be just cushions that could be removed.
Old 03-23-2022 | 01:44 PM
readydiverone
Racer

So, (a) not gold bricks (don't I wish) but lots of heavy camera equipment and indeed there is some sag and (b) I don't think you can remove them but they do just fold up and down (and latch when up) so one can simply put the luggage on the seat. I was frankly quite surprised by the amount of sag/play in the benches so I may just put the luggage directly on the seat (on top of a clothe cover to protect the seats of course). Thanks.
Old 03-23-2022 | 01:47 PM
Ikiru
Intermediate

I’ve travelled with several bags on the folded down back seats, but they will move around with any sudden deceleration so I’d try to find some bungee strap solution to keep the luggage from moving and hitting the back of the front seats.
Old 03-23-2022 | 02:21 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Use rated straps to secure the bags. That area is not designated as a luggage area by Porsche.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:23 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Yep
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:32 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

It won't fit in the frunk?
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:44 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Don't use the rear seats folded down for luggage unless it's strapped down. Inertia can be a b*tch - and very dangerous.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:49 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Don't use the rear seats folded down for luggage unless it's strapped down. Inertia can be a b*tch - and very dangerous.
What are we worried about happening? You've got the seats between you and the stuff. Unless something is small enough to fit between seats, I'd imagine this is fairly safe.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:54 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

If the car comes to a sudden stop (as in an accident) the suitcase will still be travelling at the same speed the car was before it decelerated. If a full suitcase strikes the back of the seat in the area of your head the force will be transferred through the seat to your head. Even with the padding you could get a fairly serious concussion or intracerebral hematoma. I wouldn't want either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. G:
Reata1 (03-23-2022), wdr911 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:55 PM
readydiverone
Racer

(A) agreed, I will user the seat belt to strap luggage down but really not too worries about it particularly given how tight it is in the cabin and (B) frunk already occupied by medium large Hartman stuffed pretty full. Amazing what frunk will hold—Hartman fits pretty perfectly on its side, even expanded.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:57 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

If the car comes to a sudden stop (as in an accident) the suitcase will still be travelling at the same speed the car was before it decelerated. If a full suitcase strikes the back of the seat in the area of your head the force will be transferred through the seat to your head. Even with the padding you could get a fairly serious concussion or intracerebral hematoma. I wouldn't want either.
Makes sense to be safe, but your concern assumes that your head is "connected" to the seat at the time; in fact, your head will be bouncing off an airbag; your torso on the other hand will receive some of the blunt force, though it also will be busy being moved forward, away from the seat. When the suitcases strike the seat back, tho, it will push the seat into you, and likely increase the impact to your body.

Interesting to think about, at least. It would be useful to model this in software to see what happens.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhirm5
What are we worried about happening? You've got the seats between you and the stuff. Unless something is small enough to fit between seats, I'd imagine this is fairly safe.
This.
Old 03-23-2022 | 03:59 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Well I’ve figured out an good way to strap it down securely with the seatbelt so ll good I think.

Quick Reply: Traveling with suitcase on rear bench