Sponsored by:

Small puddle of pink coolant on driveway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 10:00 PM
dmacker
Advanced

Received 117 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Small puddle of pink coolant on driveway

First day with my C4 GTS - all of 72 miles on it so far. Just drove home from my office - 10 miles maybe - was sitting in driveway idling maybe 10-15 minutes playing around with some settings. When I get out of car I see small puddle of pink fluid on driveway. Was coming from left side - rear of car.

No warning lights came on and engine temp was fine. Restarted car - no warning lights.

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2022, 10:08 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Maybe just check to make sure your coolant cap is on correctly and tight? Hard to tell the color from the picture, but it is possible its just condensation from your AC?
Old 03-22-2022, 10:15 PM
dmacker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew46
Maybe just check to make sure your coolant cap is on correctly and tight? Hard to tell the color from the picture, but it is possible its just condensation from your AC?
Definitely pink. I used a paper towel to soak some up. Definitely has texture and feel of coolant. I will check coolant cap.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:45 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Join the club.
Just got my 991 back from service after routine maintenance. Next morning, I found this. Service guy thought they overfilled with coolant during service. They took the car back and fortunately, no leak, just overfilled. Hopefully that's the case with your car too.
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2022, 10:56 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

A lot of people have reported overfilling.

I bet that’s the problem
Old 03-22-2022, 11:01 PM
dmacker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tupper
A lot of people have reported overfilling.

I bet that’s the problem
I hope that’s all it is. Wonder if it’s overfilling from the factory or do they check and top off fluids (possibly overfilling) during dealer prep?
Old 03-23-2022, 12:58 AM
AtlantaBuckeye
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Happened to me on day one also. It’s due to overfilling. The coolant system has a safety outlet for excess fluid.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:17 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacker
Definitely pink. I used a paper towel to soak some up. Definitely has texture and feel of coolant. I will check coolant cap.
You have a coolant leak. Could be just a hose or clamp.
Not overfilled. There’s a recovery bottle. The system is sealed and under pressure when hot.
Take it to the dealer.

Last edited by garthg; 03-23-2022 at 02:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 03:08 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
Not overfilled. There’s a recovery bottle. The system is sealed and under pressure when hot.
Take it to the dealer.
This would seem highly disappointing.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garthg
Take it to the dealer.
So the two people who reported their first hand experience with overfilling are what, lying? Maybe just plain stupid?
Old 03-23-2022, 09:23 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

So the two people who reported their first hand experience with overfilling are what, lying? Maybe just plain stupid?
No. Not at all and I do not think anyone meant that. The coolant system is under pressure with a recovery bottle, but it also has a pressure release valve which will open and release fluid if overfilled causing excessive pressure so those members are not lying or stupid. The fact that it occurred the first time engine brought to sustained operating temperatures (inference) logically points to this POSSIBLE cause.

However, the 991.2 had a known history of defective water pumps that caused most of them to be replaced when showing the exact same symptoms. Coolant would drip out of the bottom of the pump leaving a small amount of pink fluid under the left rear of the car. In fact, Porsche issued a TSB on the 991.2 water pump and extended the warranty because of it. So, having the dealer check it is also a very good answer. Is it a “no big deal” coolant overfill at the factory issue or a “very serious” defective water pump issue which will require bumper and air system removal to replace which is quite involved and expensive. No one will know until it is investigated further. After all, it is new and on warranty so “let the dealer check it” is also a good (if more inconvenient) answer.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-23-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:28 AM
dmacker
Advanced

And I found at least another 4 instances where others have reported overfilling as the culprit. Each time confirmed by Porsche service. This being the closest - new 2021 992 nearly identical scenario:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1230...age-floor.html

Old 03-23-2022, 09:41 AM
dmacker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fullyield
No. Not at all and I do not think anyone meant that. The coolant system is under pressure with a recovery bottle, but it also has a pressure release valve which will open and release fluid if overfilled causing excessive pressure so those members are not lying or stupid. The fact that it occurred the first time engine brought to sustained operating temperatures (inference) logically points to this POSSIBLE cause.

However, the 991.2 had a known history of defective water pumps that caused most of them to be replaced when showing the exact same symptoms. Coolant would drip out of the bottom of the pump leaving a small amount of pink fluid under the left rear of the car. In fact, Porsche issued a TSB on the 991.2 water pump and extended the warranty because of it. So, having the dealer check it is also a very good answer. Is it a “no big deal” coolant overfill at the factory issue or a “very serious” defective water pump issue which will require bumper and air system removal to replace which is quite involved and expensive. No one will know until it is investigated further. After all, it is new and on warranty so “let the dealer check it” is also a good (if more inconvenient) answer.
I did come across many of the posts about the 991.2 water pump issues. Hopefully Porsche is long past those issues and it turns out to be as simple as overfilling.

Definitely not what you want to see on day one of ownership. Guess it’s time to start a relationship with a local dealer for service. I purchased the car from a dealer one state over and 80 miles away.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:26 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fullyield

I think you need to read the post I was responding to. garthg stated definitively that the OP has a coolant leak and that it cannot be from overfill. It just struck me as unproductive to make such an absolute and alarmist reply to the OP when there are previous posts from others who experienced the very same thing and confirmed it was the result of overfill.

For the record, your explanation completely rebuts garthg's assertion.

Last edited by Drew46; 03-23-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,502 Likes on 937 Posts

I think you need to read the post I was responding to. garthg stated definitively that the OP has a coolant leak and that it cannot be from overfill. It just struck me as unproductive to make such an absolute and alarmist reply to the OP when there are previous posts from others who experienced the very same thing and confirmed it was the result of overfill.

For the record, your explanation completely rebuts garthg's assertion.
I understand.....but I did not read gartg's statement as accusing anyone of being a liar or being stupid which was also a rather bold statement. About the only thing anyone can say for sure is that the pink liquid pooled below the left rear of the car was not AC condensation. See post 2.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-23-2022 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (03-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Small puddle of pink coolant on driveway