Detuning A Carrera S/GTS To Feel Like A Base Carrera Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 07:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
What the OP is proposing is spending extra money for less performance in order to have the base “experience”.
That's what people who bought the 991 911T did. Pay more for less.

Originally Posted by Rxpert
With that in mind if the Base model was offered in a manual transmission, but cost MORE than the S with a manual would you still buy the Base model???
You'd be surprised. There are some die-hard MT fans here. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but then I also try not to tell people how to spend their money, or drive their cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
A Nonce (03-17-2022), manifold danger (04-03-2022), rodH (03-19-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 08:09 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That's what people who bought the 991 911T did. Pay more for less.

IMO there are only one or two ways to spec a T, otherwise a base would have been better other than the "T" badge for cool factor or resale.

T is done right when you spec MT, bucket seats, PCCB, RWS (debatable), LW glass, no sunroof. Basically going for the lightest imaginable spec.. Radio delete if you're an ultra purist who plans on doing to real commuting with the car and is purely recreational.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
A Nonce (03-18-2022), westcoastj (03-18-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 10:14 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
I see a lot of arguments on here about comparing the engine in a GTS vs regular S. My understanding is that the engine and all powertrain components are the same but that the GTS engine builds more power (boost).

Additionally there seems to be just as much love towards the base Carrera engine which actually has smaller turbos than the S/GTS variants: twin *49*-millimeter compressors and a *45*-mm turbine wheels vs *55*-/*48*-mm units in the S/GTS. However I believe that powertrain wise that is all that differs from the S/GTS. Both engines have variable geometry turbochargers, as far as I can research!

Question: If tuned correctly could one get the S/GTS engines to feel very close to to the engine in the Base Carrera?! Food for thought! If (a big if!) such a tune existed it would make the case for buying a base Carrera only one of economics.

STATED ANOTHER WAY: You could transform a Carrera S into a Carrera T (engine wise) and have the option to go back whenever you wanted.

My initial thought is that it *might be possible*, albeit the larger turbos might still add some very minor lag. Even though the turbos are larger there would be less boost to build and the variable geometry could be recalibrated for a different RPM range. If there were differences I think most people would not be able to notice.

If the above is true, would any of you be interested (hypothetical)?

TO CLARIFY: You can find lots of threads here about how the base 911 engine is the one to have (vs. S/GTS) but the base cars are missing key ingredients (RAS, SPASM, PDCC) etc... Could a Carrera S be tuned to be a Carrera T with the option to go back to the normal S variant whenever you want?

NOT SELLING ANYTHING 🙄
I'll meet you halfway - I wouldn't go out of my way to detune my C2S but I did buy an M-Engineering tune purely to turn off Auto-start-stop, the annoying loud cold start and the farts and burbles. So I declined "free power" because I'm happy where it is now and don't want/need any more.
The following users liked this post:
A Nonce (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 01:48 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RudyP
I'll meet you halfway - I wouldn't go out of my way to detune my C2S but I did buy an M-Engineering tune purely to turn off Auto-start-stop, the annoying loud cold start and the farts and burbles. So I declined "free power" because I'm happy where it is now and don't want/need any more.
I didn't know they could do that! I might reach out! Albeit I like the cold starts but the farts and burbles in Sport mode I could live without, no strong opinion though.

<rant>

BACK TO THE MAIN TOPIC: For everyone else who commented on here pointing out the errors in my thinking: I get it! Paying more for less doesn't make any sense! I agree!

But as others pointed out, Porsche has conditioned us to do this very exact thing! i.e. Paying more $ for less sound deadening?! Paying more $ for the seats removed? I would like to point out that you can pay someone (or DYI it) to do this very exact thing for MUCH less money!

Why I love the way that the company thinks: Porsche charges you for the experience (even if it is non-sensical and just in your head). Ignorance is bliss!

I want to point out a hypothetical: if instead of me posting this and it instead being posted by Porsche. Perhaps in the context of a new 911 model with a different experience: "The 911 Carrera Miata". Parts bin special where its super light weight, slower and with softer bushings (only available in manual). Not only would I line up but others would as well (while also being very much self-aware of the idiots we are). Why would we do that? Because we TRUST Porsche when they say it will be a different but excellent experience. They might get away with charging more than an S!

This is my point: We are not paying for 0-60 times, less sound deadening, feminine curvy rear fenders or a snob badge. WE ARE PAYING MONEY FOR AN EXPERIENCE. Power is only part of of the factors that go into an automotive experience. For others that might be a bigger factor than others. Clearly, for me, it's considerably LESS important but I totally get if for you its much more important. Porsche, unlike other manufacturers (:cough BMW :cough), understand this. Perhaps I thought this forums did too. Or perhaps I might be lost in the sauce....,

</rant>

Last edited by A Nonce; 03-18-2022 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarity
AlterZgo (03-19-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 01:49 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

First time I've actually had to hit 'unsubscribe' from a thread. Well done, OP.

I can't believe this is still going.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:56 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dhirm5
First time I've actually had to hit 'unsubscribe' from a thread. Well done, OP.

I can't believe this is still going.
Ditto. I have to admit that the responses were incredibly surprising! I guess my thoughts are so foreign that people accused me of trolling them?! That I think requires some reflection on my part.

I guess it is interesting to me why I seem to think quite differently than seemingly most on this forums. And how in the hell I ended up at this conclusion? Perhaps it's time to call up the Dr. and get that yearly checkup?!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:36 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
For everyone else who commented on here pointing out the errors in my thinking: I get it! Paying more for less doesn't make any sense! I agree!

But as others pointed out, Porsche has conditioned us to do this very exact thing! i.e. Paying more $ for less sound deadening?! Paying more $ for the seats removed? I would like to point out that you can pay someone (or DYI it) to do this very exact thing for MUCH less money!
Hi. I have to say we have been very harsh on you in this thread and you have handled it with class and composure... very impressive in today's age where people flip out over stupid stuff on the internet all the time. Regardless of your opinion on this topic, I think you've already won in life... because you have the financial means to buy a Porsche and, more importantly, because you have an awesome attitude... which means you probably live a very stress free and happy life.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
jhenson29 (03-19-2022), por356 (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 04:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

The cousin to this thread might be found in the GT3/RS forums. “How can I get my GT3RS to have the same power as the GT3?”
Old 03-19-2022, 05:41 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

If my S was any slower I’d just buy a Miata and save $100,000
The following 2 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
detansinn (03-20-2022), M3Inline6 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 06:33 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I mean I'd be happy to take a base Carrera with manual transmission or a 992 Carrera T (if it were cheaper than a Carrera S) as that would be sufficient for what I wanted and save the money. But no way would I pay for a Carrera S to have it perform like a base.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:35 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

You can always drive the car less aggressively. No need to detune.
I don't notice lag with our S. There's really good torque as low as 2,000 RPM.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:39 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

You’re welcome…

View this post on Instagram
The following 4 users liked this post by Dr. G:
911STHLM (04-02-2022), M3Inline6 (04-02-2022), pdkisgay (04-04-2022), SamD (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 01:46 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

The only time a lower powered variant of a model would be desirable is when that variant is significantly lighter.

In that situation, the lower powered car can feel more reactive, dynamic and more exciting to drive, despite the lower power.

A detuned C2S is not going to be lighter - just heavier and slower than a base car. The worst of both worlds.

A stripped out, lightweight <3000lb Carrera with base engine level power would be awesome (but definitely not cheap).
dhirm5 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Quite the April fools joke, clearly.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:50 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

I could have predicted this thread. This is the culmination of dozens of journalist and hundreds of references on this forum to the "purity" of the Carrera T. It's just a marketing gimmick.

Anecdotally, I drove a Carrera T back to back with a Cayman GTS (the 2.5L) a few years ago at a Porsche sponsored track day event. It was set up as like a 1/4 scale autocross course; specifically to showcase the RR vs MR difference in driving dynamics. Just what the T would excel at, right?

Cayman was hands-down significantly better, pretty much categorically. Can't even complain too much about the sound because the 991.2 never sounded that great either...

So the actual answer to this thread? If you're interested in having a car with a little less power but better driving dynamics?

Get a 718.

Last edited by manifold danger; 04-03-2022 at 06:52 AM.
Go Bruins (04-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Detuning A Carrera S/GTS To Feel Like A Base Carrera Engine