Sponsored by:

New to Porsche - Suggestions on Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 10:48 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New to Porsche - Suggestions on Build

Hi all. I’m new to Porsche and would love the guidance/feedback of this knowledgeable group. Apologies for the lengthy note and thanks in advance for your responses and thoughts on my build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNATWA74

Background
- Intended use: daily driver on good weather days and also fun weekend car, I don’t plan to track the car
- Environment: located in Houston, don’t need to worry about snow, we flood frequently but if it rains we’ll be driving our SUV (i.e. probably putting 5K-7K miles/year on this car)
- RWD vs. AWD and Manual vs. PDK: thought RWD was sufficient for our needs (and save the $7K); while I would love manual, wife will also drive this and likes the ease of auto through traffic
- Stylewise, our family likes black – we have two black SUVs all blacked out (trim, wheels, etc.), trying to mix it up with the chalk but still like the black accents
- I tried to be very deliberate with the spec/options – my first time through, I ended up with a $180K+ GTS build (!)

Questions
1. Aerokit vs. Aerokit in High Gloss Black: want one of these options (I like the wing/aggressive look), currently optioned the latter, willing to be patient for later build given supply issues, views on either?
2. GTS Interior + Carbon Interior Package: I do like what it offers (red accents/stitching, carbon fiber, etc.) but it’s effectively a $9K option, saw other posts talking about cheaper alternatives
3. Would greatly appreciate general comments – what should I add/delete and why?
4. I considered these options but ultimately excluded: front axle lift system, exclusive design taillights (what is this really?), lightweight and noise insulated glass, aluminum gear selector, glass sunroof, LED-matrix headlights with PDLS+, window trim in gloss black – should I reconsider any?

Thanks again for the help from a new (hopefully) Porsche enthusiast.

Last edited by NewTX911; 03-11-2022 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

Welcome, and nice build spec you have there.

First and foremost, do you have an allocation to build a GTS from a dealer? If you do, you’ve hit the lottery. If you don’t, don’t be surprised but they are extremely difficult to get right now. If and when you do have one, you will know it’s a committed allocation when it has a V200 status and the dealer provides you with a commission number. With all that said, given the supply chain issues and now the war in the Ukraine, it seems that even V200 allocations will be delayed until later this year at best.

IMHO, the Chalk with black wheels, red brake calipers and the red accent GTS interior package with matching seat belts and red dials looks great. Also nice to see that you added the Rear Axle Steering. The 911 has grown into a larger size GT type car, and the rear wheel steering really transforms the handling and feel of the car.

For me, it’s a Porsche so I would opt for the manual transmission. However I understand the Automatic in order for your better half to enjoy driving the car too. The manual is more engaging and pure, and the PDK is super fast and the best automatic gearbox available in any car.

Congrats on your journey and enjoy the process.

Last edited by Carrera-T; 03-11-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:11 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Welcome, and nice build spec you have there.

First and foremost, do you have an allocation to build a GTS from a dealer? If you do, you’ve hit the lottery. If you don’t, don’t be surprised but they are extremely difficult to get right now. If and when you do have one, you will know it’s a committed allocation when it has a V200 status and the dealer provides you with a commission number. With all that said, given the supply chain issues and now the war in the Ukraine, it seems that even V200 allocations will be delayed until later this year at best.

IMHO, the Chalk with black wheels, red brake calipers and the red accent GTS interior package with matching seat belts and red dials looks great. Also nice to see that you added the Rear Axle Steering. The 911 has grown into a larger size GT type car, and the rear wheel steering really transforms the handling and feel of the car.

For me, it’s a Porsche so I would opt for the manual transmission. However I understand the Automatic in order for your better half to enjoy driving the car too. The manual is more engaging and pure, and the PDK is super fast and the best automatic gearbox available in any car.

Congrats on your journey and enjoy the process.

Thanks for the feedback. I do not have a confirmed build, but even if I did, I would likely delay to get exactly what I wanted since I believe the Aerokit is currently unavailable. I have discussions with a number of dealerships and acknowledge the near-impossibility of getting a build (I managed to get lucky with a NSX Type S allocation, but I can't find anyone to offer me a 992 slot at MSRP). You said it perfect - this is a journey for me. I want to be patient and do my research now, since I will want to take some time with these selections anyway. So much to learn!

Old 03-12-2022, 05:50 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

You won't get the aero kit . It basically stops you right there. Almost everyone here that is getting a GTS has waited nearly a year start to finish . You cant make this complicated when there is a long line of guys ready to grab that slot from you . Some are willing to pay extra for it so that dealership wants simplicity if they gave you the spot .

BTW .. the lightweight package does not allow the wing . That surprised me .

There are a few things I would tweak but its just personal taste . After dabbling with the cionfigurator. I ended up building you an identical car to mine.. but in chalk (mine is GT silver )
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNXWXPF0

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-12-2022 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:17 AM
buckeyedan
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome newtx911. Good looking build. i would be careful about the rear axle steering. There is a thread about it where it requires a lithium battery and the owner had a battery which failed due to the car sitting while he was on vacation or something. He had issues with getting it replaced for some reason. You might pull up the thread and read. yrralis is correct. Extremely unlikely you will get the aero kit anytime soon. Lot's of threads about that one as well. You should expect to pay a hefty ADM if you want one anytime soon. The GTS was just released so very difficult to get one. If you're willing to wait, then its worth it. Good Luck
Old 03-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
You won't get the aero kit . It basically stops you right there. Almost everyone here that is getting a GTS has waited nearly a year start to finish . You cant make this complicated when there is a long line of guys ready to grab that slot from you . Some are willing to pay extra for it so that dealership wants simplicity if they gave you the spot .

BTW .. the lightweight package does not allow the wing . That surprised me .

There are a few things I would tweak but its just personal taste . After dabbling with the cionfigurator. I ended up building you an identical car to mine.. but in chalk (mine is GT silver )
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNXWXPF0
I don't agree as to the simplicity comment. The dealer is not bothered by lots of options. On the contrary, they are very happy for you to spec the car up to be as expensive as possible. However, availability of some options could definitely mean added delays. That being said, since you don't even have an allocation or, it seams, a spot on a list, I think you can hold off worrying about stop orders and lack of certain options until you get much closer to lock date. Things will almost definitely be different - maybe better, maybe worse - by then.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
detansinn (03-12-2022), peterdouglas (03-14-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:49 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I don't agree as to the simplicity comment. The dealer is not bothered by lots of options. On the contrary, they are very happy for you to spec the car up to be as expensive as possible. However, availability of some options could definitely mean added delays. That being said, since you don't even have an allocation or, it seams, a spot on a list, I think you can hold off worrying about stop orders and lack of certain options until you get much closer to lock date. Things will almost definitely be different - maybe better, maybe worse - by then.
This was my experience. Once you pay your deposit and get your V200 allocation, they are very happy to make any changes you want and also meet with you as often as you want to update your configuration. Good dealers realize that these are very expensive cars and having highly individualized builds is a huge part of the Porsche experience. In fact they brag about the fact that in any given year, there may only be one pair of identical 911s. Plus they make a ton of money on those options.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
detansinn (03-12-2022), Go Bruins (03-12-2022), peterdouglas (03-14-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:52 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This was my experience. Once you pay your deposit and get your V200 allocation, they are very happy to make any changes you want and also meet with you as often as you want to update your configuration. Good dealers realize that these are very expensive cars and having highly individualized builds is a huge part of the Porsche experience. In fact they brag about the fact that in any given year, there may only be one pair of identical 911s. Plus they make a ton of money on those options.
They are not happy when a person orders something that isn't available . The aero kit is not available . What could be a simple order with ANY other option that is has just become a complicated order . Thats what I meant by simplicity .

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-12-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:12 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Things have changed and it has become more personalized as a result . They are happy with an expensive personalized build IF the deal doesn't fall through . Deals do fail ! In fact I have seen dealerships get stuck with a car that they cant sell . They might range from a 115K white Macan S to a Carmine on Bordeaux (red on red) 911 Turbo S . I have seen those two cars as well as many others . If someone is going to build an "exclusive" car Porsche even has a program for it but dont think for even one moment that a "new to Porsche:" buyer is going to get it without a huge deposit (if at all) .

His build was 165K . Thats a safe bet .. except the aero kit . He's priced right at the mid range in a desirable color scheme . I tweaked it a little but his build is desirable (both to him and the dealership) . He played it right .. except that one part .
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 12:23 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Agreed. If you’re ordering something that is not easy to sell, they’re going to bump you in the direction of a more popular/mainstream spec AND/OR ask for a very substantial/huge deposit.

Until you’ve demonstrated that you can go all the way with a dealer, from an order to transaction, the “new buyer” is at a disadvantage.
yrralis1 (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
They are not happy when a person orders something that isn't available . The aero kit is not available . What could be a simple order with ANY other option that is has just become a complicated order . Thats what I meant by simplicity .
The I think you are confusing simplicity with availability. I don't think adding PDCC or PCCB to a build makes it less simple. But right now, it would make it less available.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:51 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

The I think you are confusing simplicity with availability. I don't think adding PDCC or PCCB to a build makes it less simple. But right now, it would make it less available.
I didnt realize PCCB are not available since they were when I ordered . If thats the case he has to go steel (red caliper with carmine , or black caliper with chalk ) . I would add the roof , lightweight pack and pull the aero .

By simplicity I dint mean the car !!! I mean as a customer . Just because he has a V200 does not mean the dealership is under any obligation to sell him the car . They can refund the money to anyone and tell him to take a hike. As ui is they are turning away customers . A customer with a difficult order or even a difficult customer is quick good bye from a dealership these days . The old school philosophy of "I am the customer I am always right and its my money. " Yeah sure !! Good old days !

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-12-2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:43 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Thanks for the thoughts thus far - that’s right, I’m a bit interested in what’s “typical” and “common” (ie don’t want a build that is too unpopular). I want to make sure I’m not missing any options that tend to be popular, useful, valuable, etc. on the flip side, is there something in my build that is unnecessary, not worth the value, not useful, etc. (I had really wanted the matrix headlights but I’ve seen multiple posts that it’s not all that useful, even now with the US “allowing” the technology.)
yrralis1 (03-13-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 11:43 PM
Baxter1949
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I'm looking to order a Targa GTS, doe any one know of any dealers that don't charge a big ADM fee. One dealer told me 35K over MSRP. any suggestions would be appreciated, don't mind waiting , just want to order the car the way I want it without paying crazy money to a dealer. Thank you
Old 03-13-2022, 08:51 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

First things first; find yoursefl a dealer that has an allocation and will do a deal you can live with. Then worry about the spec.
peterdouglas (03-14-2022)

Quick Reply: New to Porsche - Suggestions on Build