Sponsored by:

New to Porsche - Suggestions on Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 09:19 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by NewTX911
Thanks for the thoughts thus far - that’s right, I’m a bit interested in what’s “typical” and “common” (ie don’t want a build that is too unpopular). I want to make sure I’m not missing any options that tend to be popular, useful, valuable, etc. on the flip side, is there something in my build that is unnecessary, not worth the value, not useful, etc. (I had really wanted the matrix headlights but I’ve seen multiple posts that it’s not all that useful, even now with the US “allowing” the technology.)
Even if you just took off the aero kit you are perfect . It takes your price down too.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:48 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter1949
Hello, I'm looking to order a Targa GTS, doe any one know of any dealers that don't charge a big ADM fee. One dealer told me 35K over MSRP. any suggestions would be appreciated, don't mind waiting , just want to order the car the way I want it without paying crazy money to a dealer. Thank you
The short answer: Any 911 allocation is hard to come by these days and there tend to be fairly long waiting lists. The Targa GTS even more so. Depending on location, dealer philosophy, relationships, etc., you may be able to get a Targa GTS allocation at MSRP. But since everyone and their brother wants that, if you could find that dealer, you can expect a very long wait (12-24 months would be my guess). That wait will likely involve at least two hikes in MSRP which will offset some of the ADM. Of course, by then, the market may or may not have settled down and perhaps it will be back to "normal" and you will get a discount off MSRP. Lot's of RLs will tell you exactly what will happen, but my crystal ball is broken so I have no idea.

I guess that answer wasn't that short. But if you are looking for a Targa GTS at MSRP, you should start getting used to things taking much longer than promised.
Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 AM
Baxter1949
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest mistake last summer was to sell my 2018 GTS as my condo building was about to change our parking Rules and I would lose my current covered parking, now we will have a change in Board and parking rules will not be effected. Second, I did speak with a sales guy at Porsche locally, suggested option!! was instead of waiting 2 years to get one we could place you to the top of the list for $$$$. and then of course I was in touch with Woodland Porsche out in Ca, and they actually put in writing, I could get one in 6 weeks for an additional 35K. I am inclined to find a dealer and pay a reasonable increase that I can live with or just wait..
Old 03-13-2022, 06:48 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

I am in Houston and while I won't offer you advice on your options, as those are personal, I will say that you don't *need* the 4WD here. I've been perfectly happy for 22 years with a RWD 911 :-) Just make sure you have good, fresh, sticky tires.

I will also say that my experience with Porsche North Houston has been nothing short of exemplary over the years - including the allocation/order/delivery process. Local buyers are very welcome there and I've not seen any gamesmanship personally. You may wait for a while on a 911, but if they say that can get you a car, they will do it.

Good hunting!
Old 03-13-2022, 09:35 PM
NewTX911
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I am in Houston and while I won't offer you advice on your options, as those are personal, I will say that you don't *need* the 4WD here. I've been perfectly happy for 22 years with a RWD 911 :-) Just make sure you have good, fresh, sticky tires.

I will also say that my experience with Porsche North Houston has been nothing short of exemplary over the years - including the allocation/order/delivery process. Local buyers are very welcome there and I've not seen any gamesmanship personally. You may wait for a while on a 911, but if they say that can get you a car, they will do it.

Good hunting!

Thanks so much for the advice - your insight is helpful given your 20+ ownership experience here in Houston.

Do you have someone you recommend/work with at Porsche North Houston? I would really appreciate a referral to someone you trust. One SA refuses to respond to my questions/requests and a second SA has told me to trade in two vehicles and buy one of their pre-owned 911s, and then I'll be at the top of their "priority list" for an allocation at MSRP (i.e. let them profit from three vehicle sales before I can get the GTS allocation.

Porsche River Oaks seems to offer the same poor customer service that I always got at Momentum Porsche - some things never change I suppose.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:32 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by NewTX911
Thanks so much for the advice - your insight is helpful given your 20+ ownership experience here in Houston.

Do you have someone you recommend/work with at Porsche North Houston? I would really appreciate a referral to someone you trust. One SA refuses to respond to my questions/requests and a second SA has told me to trade in two vehicles and buy one of their pre-owned 911s, and then I'll be at the top of their "priority list" for an allocation at MSRP (i.e. let them profit from three vehicle sales before I can get the GTS allocation.

Porsche River Oaks seems to offer the same poor customer service that I always got at Momentum Porsche - some things never change I suppose.
PM sent
The following users liked this post:
barrett (05-11-2022)

Quick Reply: New to Porsche - Suggestions on Build