New Targa 4S Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 03:11 AM
gabrielbogdan
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Targa 4S Decisions

Good morning,

I just paid an invoice to secure an allocation for a 911, for March 2023 (the dealer said december 2022 at first, but I said I wanted it in spring).

With that allocation, I can choose any model in the 911 range, including the GT3. I don't want the GT3, because I really need the back seats,
and I want a convertible. So I am a bit stuck between a Targa 4S a Cabrio S.

I don't necessarily want the 4x4, but I like the look of the Targa a bit more.

I was looking for advice on the configuration:
- my colour will be either British Racing Green or Oak Green Metallic; however, I am not sure 10.000 eur is worth the exterior paint. I also like
Aventurine and GT SIlver from the regular colours.
- I don't know what to choose on the inside, I was looking at the club leather in brown, but it looks a bit old, and I am not sure it fits the colours above.
I also like the Agave, but haven't seen any live.
- as extras, I added the PDLS (is it worth it?), entry, sports exhaust, 930 package, and bose system.

Any opinions on the interior and exterior colours please?

Gabriel

Old 02-28-2022, 06:30 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

For what it’s worth…I just took delivery in Jan, of my 22 Targa 4S In aventurine green. I also struggled with the interior color. I at first speched the club leather brown and then looked at the Agave but my wife talked me out of both and I went with black.
I have PDLS, sport chrono package with sport exhaust, entry and drive, Bose and RWS. Don’t know if you need RWS but this is my third 911 and I just wanted it. At first it was noticeable when changing lanes at speed and parking now I don’t notice it at all. I’m not disappointed in anything on the car. Well maybe the home link, but that’s about. Still learning the pcm. Car is probably faster than I will ever need it. In the spring I will be installing Soul cats for a bit more sound. Good luck. BTW I waited 1 year for my Targa.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:05 AM
gabrielbogdan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
For what it’s worth…I just took delivery in Jan, of my 22 Targa 4S In aventurine green. I also struggled with the interior color. I at first speched the club leather brown and then looked at the Agave but my wife talked me out of both and I went with black.
I have PDLS, sport chrono package with sport exhaust, entry and drive, Bose and RWS. Don’t know if you need RWS but this is my third 911 and I just wanted it. At first it was noticeable when changing lanes at speed and parking now I don’t notice it at all. I’m not disappointed in anything on the car. Well maybe the home link, but that’s about. Still learning the pcm. Car is probably faster than I will ever need it. In the spring I will be installing Soul cats for a bit more sound. Good luck. BTW I waited 1 year for my Targa.
Thank you for replying.

Your car us very similar to the one I specced, except RWS (I don't really feel it's worth 3000 dollars, I probably won't even notice it).

Can you post any photos of your car? I am really struggling to see what could fit on the interior (I don't want black). My dealer says
Agave works very well, he said he sold 1 like this and was very impressed with the fit.

Do you think the PTS in British Racing Green or Oak Green would be worth it?

Also, what do you think about wind buffeting? Is it ok?
Old 02-28-2022, 08:28 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Originally Posted by gabrielbogdan
Good morning,

I just paid an invoice to secure an allocation for a 911, for March 2023 (the dealer said december 2022 at first, but I said I wanted it in spring).

With that allocation, I can choose any model in the 911 range, including the GT3. I don't want the GT3, because I really need the back seats,

I don't necessarily want the 4x4, but I like the look of the Targa a bit more.

I was looking for advice on the configuration:
- my colour will be either British Racing Green or Oak Green Metallic; however, I am not sure 10.000 eur is worth the exterior paint. I also like
Aventurine and GT SIlver from the regular colours.
- I don't know what to choose on the inside, I was looking at the club leather in brown, but it looks a bit old, and I am not sure it fits the colours above.
I also like the Agave, but haven't seen any live.
- as extras, I added the PDLS (is it worth it?), entry, sports exhaust, 930 package, and bose system.

Any opinions on the interior and exterior colours please?

Gabriel
If you really need the back seats, the Targa cars are pretty compromised when it comes to ingress/egress with that bar across the cabin. If you’re looking to regularly to put little people back there (not just grandparent weekends), I would go with the Cabrio.

The 992 AWD system is excellent. It’s all new for this generation, heavily biased towards the rear, and even supports “drifting”. It’s not much of a compromise and helps in all conditions.

My C4S was Aventurine Green. Had PTS been available at the time, British Racing Green or Oak Green Metallic would have been the front of my consideration list. If your budget allows PTS, go with one of those colors. Aventurine green is very dynamic, it’s got a lot of gold and gray in it, but that also means that it doesn’t always look green.

Brown paired with green is a pretty classic combination. Consider Icelandic which goes nicely with greens as well.

If you drive at night, yes, PDLS+ is totally worth it. If you don’t live in the US, go bucks up for the Matrix version. If you only drive on weekends to cars & coffee, it doesn’t matter, but if you’re going to enjoy the car in the dark, get PDLS+.

Regarding PSE, yes, it’s worth it. It’s not particularly loud, but you get to really hear the engine, especially with the top down. It helps with resale, opens up aftermarket options, and expensive to fit after the fact.

930 Package? I have no opinion. I haven’t seen a 992 in real life with it yet. It’s a style/aesthetic choice.

Bose is the Goldilocks-choice. It’s a significant step up from the Base audio which has no business in a six figure car. The Burmester is excellent, but can be somewhat overkill. That being said, if you’re planning to spend time with the top down and radio on, there’s something to be said for the extra punch of the Burmester. If you’re considering PTS and the 930 package, why not do Burmester? It’s almost an oversight to not go that route.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:32 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by gabrielbogdan
Good morning,

Disclaimer - my comments here don't directly address your questions but they may add to your overall knowledge and "experience" of acquiring this vehicle. It's my understanding that dealers are given allocations at various times for SPECIFIC models - they do not get an "open" allocation for a build for any vehicle in the 911 range. I find it surprising your dealer committed to you that they could get you any model by a specific time (and especially within essentially 12 months). Others with greater knowledge on this process please chime in. I think you might want to discuss this process a bit more with your dealer so you don't have any surprises along the way. Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by mksz51:
detansinn (02-28-2022), dhirm5 (02-28-2022), Domoic (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Disclaimer - my comments here don't directly address your questions but they may add to your overall knowledge and "experience" of acquiring this vehicle. It's my understanding that dealers are given allocations at various times for SPECIFIC models - they do not get an "open" allocation for a build for any vehicle in the 911 range. I find it surprising your dealer committed to you that they could get you any model by a specific time (and especially within essentially 12 months). Others with greater knowledge on this process please chime in. I think you might want to discuss this process a bit more with your dealer so you don't have any surprises along the way. Good luck.
Dealers usually have a very good idea o how many allocations they might get. This has to do with their size and how many cars they historically sell ect ect. There is a formula
Old 02-28-2022, 08:59 AM
gabrielbogdan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you really need the back seats, the Targa cars are pretty compromised when it comes to ingress/egress with that bar across the cabin. If you’re looking to regularly to put little people back there (not just grandparent weekends), I would go with the Cabrio.

The 992 AWD system is excellent. It’s all new for this generation, heavily biased towards the rear, and even supports “drifting”. It’s not much of a compromise and helps in all conditions.

My C4S was Aventurine Green. Had PTS been available at the time, British Racing Green or Oak Green Metallic would have been the front of my consideration list. If your budget allows PTS, go with one of those colors. Aventurine green is very dynamic, it’s got a lot of gold and gray in it, but that also means that it doesn’t always look green.

Brown paired with green is a pretty classic combination. Consider Icelandic which goes nicely with greens as well.

If you drive at night, yes, PDLS+ is totally worth it. If you don’t live in the US, go bucks up for the Matrix version. If you only drive on weekends to cars & coffee, it doesn’t matter, but if you’re going to enjoy the car in the dark, get PDLS+.

Regarding PSE, yes, it’s worth it. It’s not particularly loud, but you get to really hear the engine, especially with the top down. It helps with resale, opens up aftermarket options, and expensive to fit after the fact.

930 Package? I have no opinion. I haven’t seen a 992 in real life with it yet. It’s a style/aesthetic choice.

Bose is the Goldilocks-choice. It’s a significant step up from the Base audio which has no business in a six figure car. The Burmester is excellent, but can be somewhat overkill. That being said, if you’re planning to spend time with the top down and radio on, there’s something to be said for the extra punch of the Burmester. If you’re considering PTS and the 930 package, why not do Burmester? It’s almost an oversight to not go that route.
Thank you for replying and for confirming my options. I think I will go with Targa and see what happens with the kids. I usually drive them (or my wife), in a Range Rover Sport, so shouldn't stay there very often.

Regarding the sound system, I don't think I can be convinced to pay that much for Burmester. I listen ocasionally to music, but I am not an audiophile, I doubt I could tell the difference.

I test-drove a Carrera Aventurine Green with Iceland interior. I liked the exterior color, especially in the sun, but I found the interior a bit pale for my taste. I think BRG or Oak Green would work well with Brown, but I liked Agave more, so I was trying to find some pictures or opinions in support of this.

With regards to the allocation comments, that is what the dealer informed me. Please know that I am in SE Europe, so maybe it's different here. The guy told me he will obtain an allocation for a 911, and in a few months to tell him the model that I want.

Last edited by gabrielbogdan; 02-28-2022 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:36 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 197 Posts

If money allows you might as well get the gt3 and then try your hardest to get an allocation at another place too. Sell the gt3 and put the profits towards your new but cheaper targa. Your leaving a lot of money on the table by skipping an ever so hard to get GT3. You may not need the car but everyone could use the proceeds. A lot can happen in a year especially in europe now.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:09 AM
gabrielbogdan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
If money allows you might as well get the gt3 and then try your hardest to get an allocation at another place too. Sell the gt3 and put the profits towards your new but cheaper targa. Your leaving a lot of money on the table by skipping an ever so hard to get GT3. You may not need the car but everyone could use the proceeds. A lot can happen in a year especially in europe now.
As crazy as this sounds, it's actually a sound advice. I am not sure I have the stomach and the time to do it. Wait for a GT3 T for a year, and then again for a Targa 4S or GTS. It's a bit too much for me, I guess. Although I can use another company to get a new allocation.

I wil think about it.

On the other hand, if I don't do the PTS Color, I can fit a Targa GTS in the same budget, which might be a better investment.

Please note that I plan to keep the car for at least 10 years, doing around 4.000 miles a year...
Old 02-28-2022, 11:40 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Dealers usually have a very good idea o how many allocations they might get. This has to do with their size and how many cars they historically sell ect ect. There is a formula
I think that used to be true. I am not sure it is still accurate. And, even in more "normal" times, I have not heard of a dealer giving a 911 allocation. To assume that they will give you the option to buy a C2 or a GTS art no ADM, seems a bit odd.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:55 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
I would suspect that if the OP is being offered the GT3 allocation for the taking that there may not be as much demand/resale opportunities where he lives.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 01:59 PM
gabrielbogdan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drew46
I think that used to be true. I am not sure it is still accurate. And, even in more "normal" times, I have not heard of a dealer giving a 911 allocation. To assume that they will give you the option to buy a C2 or a GTS art no ADM, seems a bit odd.
It’s probably the way it works around here, because they probably don’t sell more than a dozen GT3s per year. I also have 5% off MSRP.

And the price difference between Europe and USA is substantial. Probably a 180k USD GT3 T would be a 225k USD here. So not the same thing as America. It’s mostly VAT the difference.

Quick Reply: New Targa 4S Decisions