Sponsored by:

Madness

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 01:08 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by big_willy
If we accept the assumption that auto makers are like all capitalist corporations your theory doesn't hold true. Maximizing profits does not mean no inventory in pipeline, from a supply chain optimization perspective this doesn't make sense. ADMs also do not affect the manufacturer - it's mostly dealers.

Things will normalize, if anything I feel the lesson's learned through this ordeal will help manufacturers create more agile supply lines and ensure supply meets demand and maximizing top and bottom line. Having no product or not enough product to sell is not efficient.
They are making record profits, the dealers too. They have learned from the Ferrari model, that if you constrain supply just enough at the margin of demand, prices can go sky high and inventories to zero. You only get back to a real free market when new entrants come into it and compete - and unless China gets into cars in a big way, that's not going to happen. The established players are operating like a cartel for now.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:43 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

In my local dealership, most new Carreras have 30k adjusted market price over MSRP.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:18 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 934 Likes on 522 Posts

Broncos are selling for $15K over MSRP in NJ. And people are paying it. $5K over for a Forester.
Old 02-28-2022, 08:45 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Residential real estate, houses, condos, here in South Florida are being listed for hundreds of thousands more than what they were selling for 18 months ago. Fortunately the banks are caving in many of these deals. It is common to see listings go from "pending" back to active. We have hit the peak and cominng down the other side of the bubble now. New cars are in the same realm of stupidity.
The following 2 users liked this post by centaur:
Maverick787 (02-28-2022), timjab (03-01-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:11 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by centaur
Residential real estate, houses, condos, here in South Florida are being listed for hundreds of thousands more than what they were selling for 18 months ago. Fortunately the banks are caving in many of these deals. It is common to see listings go from "pending" back to active. We have hit the peak and cominng down the other side of the bubble now. New cars are in the same realm of stupidity.
You’re spot on many see this as only a Porsche problem and it’s not. The same people complaining about high car prices will sell their home well over market if they can take advantage of the market. (It’s no different than cars) Also I’ve seen homes in my neighborhood fall out of contract because of the inflated prices ……ummm how do you say 2008, and yes it all fell. Buy at the bubble we all know what happens to bubbles. I keep hearing Porsche profits are high look at there last report was 15.5%, and if you read the report revenue was up clearly they produced move cars and the margin increased .5%. It’s a good margin in the car business, but not in the same league as many Fortune 500 companies. There’s no conspiracy everything is high as salaries continue to rise …….buying any asset now you will pay over.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...021-26247.html
Old 02-28-2022, 09:23 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
They are making record profits, the dealers too. They have learned from the Ferrari model, that if you constrain supply just enough at the margin of demand, prices can go sky high and inventories to zero. You only get back to a real free market when new entrants come into it and compete - and unless China gets into cars in a big way, that's not going to happen. The established players are operating like a cartel for now.
I agree with you on prices being high but that’s the same for a Kia right? Profits are up .5% …….and volume is up Taycans going through the roof. When you look at profits you need to really look at a 3 to 5 years trend to see the drivers were, was it new sales or cost reduction both can drive profits. There’s no constraint in cars YoY production is actually up, but you can argue they can’t meet the demand which is a constraint in capacity. Try buying chicken wings in your local market shelves aren’t full. Porsche is not the boogie man no more than your local market the numbers are just bigger. The more you build doesn’t always a profit ….can’t run a large business on over time, and it will lead into more hiring and facility cost. When it goes down you’re stuck with the people and facility. Europe is not like the US you just can’t lay off workers large payout penalties. When I use to work we had to lay off some workers in Japan, and we were stuck with still paying their salaries until they found new work and there’s no time limit. Just think lots of variables in this Covid world which is the matrix.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:04 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
I saw this yesterday as I was window shopping "used" models.
https://www.hgreglux.com/used-car/po...for-sale-10548

They even show the original sticker and it has 16 miles on iit.

Sticker is $139,450.

If you look at the CarFax (on the same page), it flips hands, but for what reason is unclear.
The list is now $189,000.

I personally suspect the current dealer scooped the car up from the original Porsche dealer only to try and flip it at an absurd mark-up.
Same car with a new dealer owner and new price. Keep raising the price to encourage a buyer? Merely, $199,444 now.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=626305001
Old 05-10-2022, 07:28 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
Same car with a new dealer owner and new price. Keep raising the price to encourage a buyer? Merely, $199,444 now.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=626305001
wow!
Old 05-10-2022, 07:58 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 753 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The market will never normalize - because the auto makers want it to work this way from now on. No inventories, MSRP prices, no inventory in the pipeline, dealer ADMs, reduced production of ICE cars as they transition their production base to government subsidized EVs, etc. This is the "great reset" for the auto market. Until consumers just stop buying cars totally, just keep the cars they have running, it will not end.
It will normalize in the mainstream of the market because some automakers will start increasing production as soon as they can to improve sales...the only way to maintain the current status quo is for the automakers to form a cartel and artificially limit output (which is illegal in most cases). With a car like the 911, Porsche could decide to limit production to get rid of the need for discounting. If a serious recession occurs then it will return back to the big discounting and lots full of cars pretty quickly.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:20 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

There's a major difference between today and 2008, though people do like to make that comparison. 2008's financial crisis was due to subprime lending. People trading pure garbage mortgages taken by people who couldn't afford them bundled up rated as AAA and sold to nearly everyone including banks. It was a spectacular mess. There's nothing like that today. Today's prices are caused by supply chain issues, still recovering from covid, and people re-evaluating how they want to live going forward, having lived through covid.

One thing that stands out for me re 2008 - everyone likes to say they don't know who to blame. Seems pretty easy to me - go after the f*ckers that rated that garbage AAA.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:16 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

I was at my dealership last week, and the only new 911’s on the lot were cars that were waiting prep and picked up by the buyer. He said that he’s selling about the same number of cars that he sold before the pandemic, with the difference between now and then, being everything they get is already spoken for, so there is no unsold inventory on the lot. May not be every dealerships situation, but that is mine. So, put your money down and be prepared to wait, and wait…
Old 05-10-2022, 11:31 PM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I was at my dealership last week, and the only new 911’s on the lot were cars that were waiting prep and picked up by the buyer. He said that he’s selling about the same number of cars that he sold before the pandemic, with the difference between now and then, being everything they get is already spoken for, so there is no unsold inventory on the lot. May not be every dealerships situation, but that is mine. So, put your money down and be prepared to wait, and wait…
Maybe the tide is turning.

After a 9 month wait,I received my allocation for a Targa4S with an August delivery. Signed contract for MSRP.
PNFYFWA7 IS MY BUILD CODE.

Quick Reply: Madness