Sponsored by:

Replacement battery $2500!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 02:30 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

The ground strap has electronics embedded in it (compared to the engine ground strap located beneath the engine) but it is accessible from within the frunk compartment and battery location TTBOMK.

siberian
Old 02-08-2024, 06:46 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by achilleas101
this is new for 2024. Prior model years there was no option, it just came with a LifePO4 battery.

if your car comes with a LifePO4, it's not just a matter of changing the battery. I'm not sure if it's in this thread or another, but the grounding strap apparently needs to be swapped out in order for it work right. That part is not as simple of a DIY.
My apologies for the confusion. My 2019 Targa 4GTS, manufactured in October of 2019 came with an AGM battery. My input was that the AGM battery works well with the RWS system. As I have no issues and I can clearly see the rear wheel move, at least at low speeds when parking.

Also that there are several OBDII devices that work with the 991.2 & 992 series 911s that will register a new battery in the BMS. So you don't have to be "stuck" with the LiPo battery if you do not want one. You have options if you so choose.

Again, my apologies for not being clear.

The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:59 PM
okatz901
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okatz901
Hi all... new to Rennlist.. first time poster. Found this when my dealer suggested a battery replacement would run me like $2500-$3000, I almost fell off my chair. I thought just another dealership rip off.

This thread was tremendously helpful... understand the battery type I have and mostly, not to worry about it being dead and needing to be revived!

Had my 2016 Panamera in the driveway for a few weeks without starting it... through some real cold weather bouts. The short of it, was dead-ish with lots of error. I jumped it, got it running. Next morning, dead again. When I jumped it and got it to the dealer (along with other routine servicing), they re-charged it and said it was fine.

A battery charger is in my cart ready to purchase now in case we sit idle for some time. Kind of a pain in the a to be honest, but at least I know now. Hopefully there isn't anything draining the battery more than typical.

Anyway, thanks all for the informative thread!
Hey all - so, okay, received my battery charger to be prepared for the next long(er) term idle period, but I seem to have the same issue as I had with my battery jumper. The cables it comes with can't reach both the positive and negative posts in my 2017 Panamera 4s. They're quite widespread. Any suggestions how to get around that or need to find a battery charger that simply has longer cables?? TYIA
Old 02-08-2024, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Hey all - so, okay, received my battery charger to be prepared for the next long(er) term idle period, but I seem to have the same issue as I had with my battery jumper. The cables it comes with can't reach both the positive and negative posts in my 2017 Panamera 4s. They're quite widespread. Any suggestions how to get around that or need to find a battery charger that simply has longer cables?? TYIA
You just pull them apart, if too difficult make a small incision between the positive and negative cable where they separate with a utility knife then pull them apart. The + and - are separately insulated.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:13 PM
okatz901
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
You just pull them apart, if too difficult make a small incision between the positive and negative cable where they separate with a utility knife then pull them apart. The + and - are separately insulated.
Thanks but I don't think even doing so on the unit I bought gives me enough length! I bought CTK 56-926 LITHIUM US. On my vehicle, the negative is was up towards the top of the engine area while the positive is on the battery.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:23 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
My apologies for the confusion. My 2019 Targa 4GTS, manufactured in October of 2019 came with an AGM battery. My input was that the AGM battery works well with the RWS system. As I have no issues and I can clearly see the rear wheel move, at least at low speeds when parking.

Also that there are several OBDII devices that work with the 991.2 & 992 series 911s that will register a new battery in the BMS. So you don't have to be "stuck" with the LiPo battery if you do not want one. You have options if you so choose.

Again, my apologies for not being clear.

Well, your DIY comment is confused on multiple points. You cannot switch between Li battery and AGM battery on the 992 as Siberian and others correctly point out. You also cannot switch between RWS and AGM in the 992 BMS with any OBD device including PIWIS. Even the dealer cannot do it. Finally, there is no OBD device currently available to program the BMS on the 992 for $80. That is what this thread is about……Porsche’s proprietary BS.

Last edited by Fullyield; 02-09-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,007 Likes on 566 Posts

Thanks but I don't think even doing so on the unit I bought gives me enough length! I bought CTK 56-926 LITHIUM US. On my vehicle, the negative is was up towards the top of the engine area while the positive is on the battery.
IF you have a multi-meter you can confirm another ground point in this area for the negative connecton of the charger... just make sure it isn't a fuel line or thin metal, but a bolt or other steel surface should be fine becasue the dedicated ground post you speak of is simply a good ground, and that is what you need, and there are other in these areas. Make sure there are NO MOVING PARTS in this area also. Additionally depending on the Car you can just simply connect to the batteries positive and negative terminal, in some cars they don't want you doing this due to sensative electronics, but IN GENERAL you can connect to the terminals and not harm anything but it would probably be best to connect the charger before plugging it so you not bouncing the clamps on the Battery Terminal or where they say there is sensative electronics. But alway try to do it the way they recomend firstly.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Well, your DIY comment is confused on multiple points. You cannot switch between Li battery and AGM battery on the 992 as Siberian and others correctly point out. You also cannot switch between RWS and AGM in the 992 BMS with any OBD device including PIWIS. Even the dealer cannot do it. Finally, there is no OBD device currently available to program the BMS on the 992 for $80. That is what this thread is about……Porsche’s proprietary BS.
I thought there were some examples of people changing Lithium to AGM but that a new ground line was required to do so or am I out there with our Executive?
Old 02-09-2024, 01:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

IIUC, the LiFePO4 ground cable has a LinBus that feeds into the BMS. You will need to switch out that cable, but I'm unsure as to what the ramifications are of the interrupted data path once the new ground cable is installed.

siberian
Fullyield (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 04:53 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
IIUC, the LiFePO4 ground cable has a LinBus that feeds into the BMS. You will need to switch out that cable, but I'm unsure as to what the ramifications are of the interrupted data path once the new ground cable is installed.

siberian
Come to think of it, I recall it was Antigravity that was on this. Hopefully they weigh in on the ability/process if it in fact exists.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:38 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
No Problem on my end. I kindly suggest that you check out the Thinkcar THINKDIAG Bidirection OBDII Unit which cost about $80 after coupon listed elsewhere on this forum. It has significant ECU Coding capabilities. It might be of value to other members in this forum. Lots of new tools have come out.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 02-09-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Please see my post above. I don't know what interrupting the LinBus data stream will have. Not sure what your analyzer purports to program concerning BMS. Can you shed some light on what it actually does?

siberian
Fullyield (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:36 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 181 Posts

IIRC the deal was that with the LiFePO4 the car plugs straight into the battery. With the AGM the car plugs into the battery cable. If you go from LFP to AGM you need to swap out the cable so the car has something to plug in to. Then you need a PIWIS / aftermarket equiv. to reprogram the car for the battery type.

* by "the car plugs in" I am referring to a communications interface.

Last edited by Mike818; 02-09-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:36 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
I thought there were some examples of people changing Lithium to AGM but that a new ground line was required to do so or am I out there with our Executive?
Much discussion and some experimentation by Antigravity but nothing currently available to my knowledge. Antigravity is on this thread…..any update?
Old 02-10-2024, 08:49 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
No Problem on my end. I kindly suggest that you check out the Thinkcar THINKDIAG Bidirection OBDII Unit which cost about $80 after coupon listed elsewhere on this forum. It has significant ECU Coding capabilities. It might be of value to other members in this forum. Lots of new tools have come out.

Hope you are correct. We have a whole separate thread on this. Plenty of OBD2 scanners available for less than $100. No OBD2 scanner for 992 WITH SPECIAL FUNCTIONS (BMS, ABS bleed, oil reset, etc.) currently available other than Autel 808 (and up) starting at $373 and one other for a little more $. Many devices say they are compatible with the 992 but when tested only do the very basic functions of pulling OBD2 codes (AP200, Blue Driver, Foxwell, etc.). If you have a Thinkcar device, please thoroughly test it with a 992 and then give us a write up. All of us would love for you to prove me wrong. If it will just do oil reset, they will sell very well at $100.

UPDATE - I just went to the link provided for Thinkcar. It does not list BMS, ABS Bleed or Oil Reset for functions available for the 992. . However, it does list rear spoiler as a function. This might be of interest to the group installing Moshammer ducktails and aero kits as they are having to go to the dealer for reprogramming after install. Might be worth a try for $100.

Last edited by Fullyield; 02-11-2024 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacement battery $2500!