Did you know this about our air filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:13 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
....Related but separate, that plastic wheel well panel is really noisy when gravel kicks up in there. Have you guys thought about covering it by a dense felt like on some of the Japanese cars? Or maybe a rubber adhesive pad cut to shape.
Yes, I and many other folks have lined our inner wheels wells and other areas with lightweight products like this. It definitely reduces the road noise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384736558292
Old 02-22-2022, 12:29 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Related but separate, that plastic wheel well panel is really noisy when gravel kicks up in there. Have you guys thought about covering it by a dense felt like on some of the Japanese cars? Or maybe a rubber adhesive pad cut to shape.
They don't insulate those because of weight targets on 911's, however if you were to pull the liner on an Aston Martin, the plastic fender liner is fully insulated on the interior side, the insulation being bag-like and about 1" thick as I recall on my Vantage. You could use some Superlight Dynamat with some success I would think and you can cut to fit. https://www.dynamat.com/products/dynamat-superlite/

The following users liked this post:
Autobacs (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 12:35 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

BBI posted a how too on this back in 2020. I used there video to swap mine out. Hardest part is removing the rear tire. And I think this is one of the best soudning mods you can do to a 992. With the BMC filters, you gets lots more turbo whistle noise. Oh how I miss that sound...

Old 02-22-2022, 12:44 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks Carlo_Carrera and drcollie. I'm thinking about trying this since it's matte black and hopefully blend in. I'm also going to try to cut to size it on the bottom of the rear bumper. On the 992, it's painted and gets sprayed with gravel.

Amazon rubber pad w adhesive Amazon rubber pad w adhesive
Old 02-22-2022, 01:04 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Thanks Carlo_Carrera and drcollie. I'm thinking about trying this since it's matte black and hopefully blend in. I'm also going to try to cut to size it on the bottom of the rear bumper. On the 992, it's painted and gets sprayed with gravel.

Amazon rubber pad w adhesive
I personally would not do that, anything with an adhesive strong enough to adhere to exterior paint in a harsh environment such as the underside of a 911 bumper cover is also strong enough to damage the paint if removed. Having paint rash on the bottom of the rear bumper is just part of Porsche ownership. FYI, if you go the wheel well insulation route (Dynamat) it goes on the inside of the wheel well, not in any visible area. or where it can be visibly seen.

Last edited by drcollie; 02-22-2022 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Autobacs (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:36 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Originally Posted by drcollie
I personally would not do that, anything with an adhesive strong enough to adhere to exterior paint in a harsh environment such as the underside of a 911 bumper cover is also strong enough to damage the paint if removed. Having paint rash on the bottom of the rear bumper is just part of Porsche ownership. FYI, if you go the wheel well insulation route (Dynamat) it goes on the inside of the wheel well, not in any visible area. or where it can be visibly seen.
Good point...I'll give the Dynamat a try.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:38 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
BBI posted a how too on this back in 2020. I used there video to swap mine out. Hardest part is removing the rear tire. And I think this is one of the best soudning mods you can do to a 992. With the BMC filters, you gets lots more turbo whistle noise. Oh how I miss that sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zh6OjtIRYc
Surprising how much thinner BMC's are relative to stock. That increased airflow should give a few HPs I assume.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:51 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Surprising how much thinner BMC's are relative to stock. That increased airflow should give a few HPs I assume.
Funny you mention that. I remember thinking the same thing! All I know is, BMC filters are a MUST do. I loved the added turbo whistle at low parking lot speeds. Everyone hears them. = ) Sing turbos sing! Sing to me! lol.
Old 02-22-2022, 03:07 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Funny you mention that. I remember thinking the same thing! All I know is, BMC filters are a MUST do. I loved the added turbo whistle at low parking lot speeds. Everyone hears them. = ) Sing turbos sing! Sing to me! lol.
Easy Test. Go knock out some 0-60 times, and 0-100, then come back home and change your air filters, repeat the tests and record the times. Do this on the same day, same weather conditions.

It's going to SOUND faster and your brain will think the car is quicker because of that, but my money is the times will not change. An internal combustion is an air pump. If you put more air in on one end, and don't allow for more air to exit on the other, you will not see performance gains. The most restrictive part of this air pump we have in the cars are the catalytic convertors. Change those out with sports cats and them combine with the BMC air filter and you may see those 0-60 and 0-100 times improve.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
ErikinSC (03-27-2022), Tupper (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:37 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
Easy Test. Go knock out some 0-60 times, and 0-100, then come back home and change your air filters, repeat the tests and record the times. Do this on the same day, same weather conditions.

It's going to SOUND faster and your brain will think the car is quicker because of that, but my money is the times will not change. An internal combustion is an air pump. If you put more air in on one end, and don't allow for more air to exit on the other, you will not see performance gains. The most restrictive part of this air pump we have in the cars are the catalytic convertors. Change those out with sports cats and them combine with the BMC air filter and you may see those 0-60 and 0-100 times improve.
I should have been more clear. My replay was in regards to the skinnier filter. I did it for the sound only.

Quick Reply: Did you know this about our air filters