Sponsored by:

15 Days in and Accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:40 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I'm sure the certified shop does top work, but I've had my bmws fixed at "non bmw certified" body shops, with good results. How critical is it? I did a zip code search for my home, the place that pops up - I've passed by it, it doesn't really look that impressive from the outside.
Body work done at a Porsche certified shop will be viewed as preferable by the majority of those used 911 buyers that would consider a car that's been in a "mishap." Even if the apparent quality of the work is comparable, a non-certified shop may not use ALL Porsche OE components, i.e. bolts/washers, fluids etc. Of the folks that would consider a used 911 that has been repaired, some (myself included in that group) would never buy a newer used 911 that has been repaired in a non-certified shop. Once the car gets to a certain age, say 10+ years old, my stance might soften depending on the age of the repair, the overall condition of the vehicle and what I thought of the seller.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:47 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
Body work done at a Porsche certified shop will be viewed as preferable by the majority of those used 911 buyers that would consider a car that's been in a "mishap." Even if the apparent quality of the work is comparable, a non-certified shop may not use ALL Porsche OE components, i.e. bolts/washers, fluids etc. Of the folks that would consider a used 911 that has been repaired, some (myself included in that group) would never buy a newer used 911 that has been repaired in a non-certified shop. Once the car gets to a certain age, say 10+ years old, my stance might soften depending on the age of the repair, the overall condition of the vehicle and what I thought of the seller.
Completely agree. Also make sure that you have insurance that provides for all OEM parts. Most policies charge a little bit more for that. If anyone reading this is unsure, check your policy or call your agent. My Farmers' agent has my back, and included OEM coverage in my policy. I think it was an extra $20 per 6 months. Well worth it.
The following users liked this post:
mdrobc1213 (03-19-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:22 AM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you have PPF on the car? Make sure the insurance claim covers the PPF.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:47 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Completely agree. Also make sure that you have insurance that provides for all OEM parts. Most policies charge a little bit more for that. If anyone reading this is unsure, check your policy or call your agent. My Farmers' agent has my back, and included OEM coverage in my policy. I think it was an extra $20 per 6 months. Well worth it.
My gooddness, that is 20 bucks well spent. Sounds like a reputable agent to deal with.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 12:18 PM
owirelessoo
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BudFox6
Did you have PPF on the car? Make sure the insurance claim covers the PPF.
Yes. PPF and ceramic coating done a week prior. I still have the invoice. In one of the photos you could see some of the peeling of the PPF on the lower lip of the front bumper.
I’ll remember to let my insurance know about that also. I was told that they will reimburse me for that.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:42 PM
Sea Wolf
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

My wife hit a a deer with her Macan GTS which smashed the front fascia and tore up one of the radiators and some wiring. It’s been in the shop 2 months and counting waiting in a Porsche certified body shop for parts. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:24 PM
kyosha
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I just receive my 2020 C2 back after 8 weeks. An irrigation tool fell of the back of a truck on I-70 and hit the right radiator and took out lower spoiler.
Prestige Porsche in Lakewood,CO did the repair. It came back perfect. As everyone has said the supply-side economics will play a role in your repair times,
particularly the radiator. at the time in October, I was lucky to get the last right radiator available. Between arrival of the car and completion took 8 weeks.
No problem with the insurance, he had 2 other Porsche in for body work. They keep in contact every week to update my on the progress. They also delivered
the C2 back to me when finished. Good luck and patience
Old 02-08-2022, 01:48 AM
owirelessoo
Track Day

Thank you for everyone’s reply. Dropped off my car today.

I’ll keep everyone posted on how long it takes for me to get my baby back.

I was just thinking to myself what a great little community we have here. I guess everybody loves their Porsche.

Whether it’s driving to work, play, or running an errand; I absolutely love driving my 911. It’s so much fun.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:53 AM
owirelessoo
Track Day

One thing I wanted to add when the tow truck came today.

So the front right radiator is busted and leaking coolant. I was told not to start the engine.

The problem was the 911 992 had to start the engine or else you could not put it into neutral. I called the service department at Porsche they had no idea how to do this without starting the engine.

So I had to start the engine pop it in neutral and turn off the engine. The body shop will have to do the same thing if they want to roll the car around the shop. I’m just concerned they might leave the engine running for too long and cause some damage to the engine. Is this possible?

Last edited by owirelessoo; 02-08-2022 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:09 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by owirelessoo
One thing I wanted to add when the tow truck came today.

So the front right radiator is busted and leaking coolant. I was told not to start the engine.

The problem was the 911 992 had to start the engine or else you could not put it into neutral. I called the service department at Porsche they had no idea how to do this without starting the engine.

So I had to start the engine pop it in neutral and turn off the engine. The body shop will have to do the same thing if they want to roll the car around the shop. I’m just concerned they might leave the engine running for too long and cause some damage to the engine. Is this possible?
Certainly starting the car for a few sec to put in neutral will cause no damage. As for your concern while in the shop, I would personally talk with the service advisers and let him know of your concern, and if it really bothers you, leave a note in the car…
Old 02-08-2022, 12:00 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I'm sure the certified shop does top work, but I've had my bmws fixed at "non bmw certified" body shops, with good results. How critical is it? I did a zip code search for my home, the place that pops up - I've passed by it, it doesn't really look that impressive from the outside.
I was only going to choose the Porsche-certified for a couple of reasons. We're relatively new to the area so I had no experience with any body shop around here. Secondly, the shop (Herb Chambers Collision) has a wholesale parts business and a connection to two Porsche dealers.
I worked at two car dealerships in my youth. This is absolutely the largest body shop I've ever seen. Besides my car and other Porsches, there were on my visit Lamborghinis, Audis (including R8's) and Rolls Royce (including one totally side-swiped coming off the delivery transport).

By the way, a 10 mph rear-ender was $24,161 (so far--there's going to be another supplemental for the tail light).

Last edited by garthg; 02-08-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:38 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

RE:$24K and counting….

Yikes!
Old 02-08-2022, 12:48 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

what hit you, a go cart? trying to figure out what vehicle hits that low on a 911...
Old 02-09-2022, 12:17 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
what hit you, a go cart? trying to figure out what vehicle hits that low on a 911...
First sentence OP said curb
Old 02-09-2022, 01:15 AM
Newport IRL
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
RE:$24K and counting….

Yikes!
I have been rear end hit in my Expedition a couple of times by cell phone distracted drivers at stop lights. After seeing the YouTube video of the assembly of the 992, the first thing I thought of was there is no such thing as a minor rear ender with this car. Same goes for the front obviously.

Quick Reply: 15 Days in and Accident